Manning Passing Academy = D'Eriq King and others talk QBs

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium

D'Eriq is down in La. participating in the Manning Passing Academy camp. The guys act as camp counselors for younger guys and then have the opportunity to work out not only with each other but with Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning.

Other QBs with him include Kedon Slovis (USC), Sam Howell (UNC), Matt Corral (Ol Miss), Bo Nix (Auburn), Michael Penix (Ind), Frayson McCall (Coastal Carolina), Desmond Ridder (Cinn), Dillon Gabriel (UCF), Anthony Brown ( Oregon), Phil Jurkovec (BC).

Some highlights of the interview:

-D’Eriq King has been in a group text with a bunch of other major college quarterbacks for years, some going back to the high school camp circuit. There’s one with Oregon’s Anthony Brown and Florida’s Emory Jones and Indiana’s Michael Penix and Liberty’s Malik Willis, among others.

In a time in which quarterbacks are so accustomed to competing with each other for jobs and swapping schools with each other through the transfer portal, this event can surround these guys with the one group of people who understand them: other quarterbacks.

King battled for the starting job at Manvel High in Texas with Kyle Trask, who was a friend. He beat out people he was friends with at Houston. Then he transferred to Miami and competed with three players he was close with.

“Every quarterback I’ve ever been with, even Kyle Trask in high school, we were super close,” he said. “We always pushed each other. Obviously, we want to play, but whoever gets the job we’re gonna root for them.”

“Because nobody knows what a quarterback goes through except another quarterback,” King told The Athletic.

Arkansas QB Layne Hatcher: "You may see a guy who doesn’t necessarily get time at one place and goes somewhere and is ten times the person he was. Like, what happened? Sometimes it’s just about going to the right spot with people believing in you.”
Hatcher was a three-star prospect who chose walking on at Alabama over smaller offers. He sat and learned behind Tua Tagovailoa in 2018 (and watched the dynamic between Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts before Hurts became a Heisman finalist at Oklahoma). Then, Hatcher transferred to Arkansas State where he became Sun Belt freshman of the year. Then, he split the job with another quarterback in 2020, who himself has since transferred.

Other examples with guys attending the MPA:
JT Daniels, (who was slated to come but had to cancel at the last second,) competed with Slovis for the USC starting quarterback job before transferring to Georgia, where he leads a preseason top-5 team. Jurkovec left Notre Dame after sitting behind Ian Book, so he went to Boston College, where he replaced Anthony Brown, who is now at Oregon, who replaced Tyler Shough, who is now at Texas Tech. Malik Willis was beat out by Bo Nix at Auburn, so he transferred to Liberty where he just went 10-1 and might become a first-round NFL draft pick.

It’s simply a world now in which you must be malleable. King’s story can sound like a cautionary tale or one of promise, depending on how you spin it. He’s one of the biggest stars in the sport, but he’s entering his sixth season in college football. In that time, he’s had four head coaches and five offensive coordinators.

“Just me learning a new system every year,” he said. “Winning two locker rooms over. I think that prepared me for the next level.”

Advertisement
Again, people need to recognize what a transformative player King has been for this U.

Not just his leadership, but also in regaining a higher perceived status for the position of QB at Miami.

The QB position not only demands strong leadership characteristics, but an individual with a solid character foundation.

King has both in abundance.

Add in his athletic ability, and his improvement as a passer, and he is overcoming his lack of height and the inherent disadvantage of adjusting to numerous head coaches and offensive coordinators.

Assuming he is 100% healthy this season, I’m expecting to see great things from him, and a showcasing of emergent elite qualities as a quarterback that will hopefully allow him shine in 2021.

Advertisement
Again, people need to recognize what a transformative player King has been for this U.

Not just his leadership, but also in regaining a higher perceived status for the position of QB at Miami.

The QB position not only demands strong leadership characteristics, but an individual with a solid character foundation.

King has both in abundance.

Add in his athletic ability, and his improvement as a passer, and he is overcoming his lack of height and the inherent disadvantage of adjusting to numerous head coaches and offensive coordinators.

Assuming he is 100% healthy this season, I’m expecting to see great things from him, and a showcasing of emergent elite qualities as a quarterback that will hopefully allow him shine in 2021.
No no no - remember the jerk who posted that we can not win with King - poor arm strenght, poor long ball. SMDH at the ignorance of some of our fans! I Agree 100% with your comments!!

No no no - remember the jerk who posted that we can not win with King - poor arm strenght, poor long ball. SMDH at the ignorance of some of our fans! I Agree 100% with your comments!!
I’m a fan of King’s but the things you point to aren’t inconsistent with someone crediting King with transforming our program. Making us consistently competitive and culturally stronger is different from having what it takes to beat Alabama. Those are different discussions.

I’m a fan of King’s but the things you point to aren’t inconsistent with someone crediting King with transforming our program. Making us consistently competitive and culturally stronger is different from having what it takes to beat Alabama. Those are different discussions.
I understand what you are getting at, but becoming consistently competitive and culturally stronger is exactly we need to do if we really want to play with the Alabamas of college football.

We've been neither for years.

Advertisement
I understand what you are getting at, but becoming consistently competitive and culturally stronger is exactly we need to do if we really want to play with the Alabamas of college football.

We've been neither for years.
I agree. But the post I responded to called people names who said King wasnt the right guy to beat alabama. It’s a testament to king we’re even having that discussion. But it’s not a crazy off-season discussion, either. especially when he’s coming off a serious injury. Moses led the desert tour but wasnt the guy to cross into the land of milk and honey. It happens. Personally, I’d go with King if he’s recovered but that’s what we have fall camp to figure out.

I agree. But the post I responded to called people names who said King wasnt the right guy to beat alabama. It’s a testament to king we’re even having that discussion. But it’s not a crazy off-season discussion, either. especially when he’s coming off a serious injury. Moses led the desert tour but wasnt the guy to cross into the land of milk and honey. It happens. Personally, I’d go with King if he’s recovered but that’s what we have fall camp to figure out.
The mopes calling for a QB other than King are....mopes. There is nothing out there that says we have a better option. Really, regardless of his health. What do we actually know about either back up in terms of real game performance?

The old saying is something like everybody loves the back up QB. Just like everybody wants to pick that 14 seed in the NCAA hoops tourney every year. Yeah, you'll get it right every decade or so, but are you really betting your house on that pick?

King has every single intangible you want in your team leader and quarterback. He’s a gem! Has every single thing you want except passing the football.

The only problem with King is he’s just barely a mediocre thrower of the football. Any above average defense will render the passing game useless with him under center. And that’s sucks because he has everything else and you root for guys like him to win snd succeed.

The only problem with King is he’s just barely a mediocre thrower of the football. Any above average defense will render the passing game useless with him under center. And that’s sucks because he has everything else and you root for guys like him to win snd succeed.
He’s definitely a better athlete than he is a pure passer but I don’t think I would call a guy with a career 63% completion percentage and a 73/15 TD/INT ratio “barely mediocre” He had one poor performance against Clemson but only had two other games where he finished with a QBR under 140. Wins against UAB and Virginia Tech. All while being the team’s leading rusher and having below average talent at wide receiver.

Advertisement
He’s definitely a better athlete than he is a pure passer but I don’t think I would call a guy with a career 63% completion percentage and a 73/15 TD/INT ratio “barely mediocre” He had one poor performance against Clemson but only had two other games where he finished with a QBR under 140. Wins against UAB and Virginia Tech. All while being the team’s leading rusher and having below average talent at wide receiver.
You Are Right Eric Andre GIF by Adult Swim

Not to mention playing QB with a less than mediocre OL. Makes the job 1000% more difficult. Imagine if he actually had time and wasn't threatened with being sacked on EVERY snap?

Not to mention playing QB with a less than mediocre OL. Makes the job 1000% more difficult. Imagine if he actually had time and wasn't threatened with being sacked on EVERY snap?
lol that's facts.

I'm not going to sit here and say King is some Aaron Rogers, pinpoint accuracy passer because we all know he's not. He misses some throws pretty badly and even some of his completions are not perfectly placed. Still, he threw some absolute darts last year. A lot of his struggles against Clemson were due to his receivers not being able to beat man coverage. Can't throw to a guy who's still getting off a jam while the defense is breathing down your neck. Factor in the number of drops and his completion numbers would have been even better than his school record breaking 64.1% last year.

Advertisement
We cant win with King are the same thing - culture and winning. We will win more games because of an improved culture - period. PS you have to be consistently competitive and culturally stronger to beat really good teams!

King has every single intangible you want in your team leader and quarterback. He’s a gem! Has every single thing you want except passing the football.

Uh way way too harsh on his passing. Look at his ratings podner as one poster helped you with. Elite arm - no, winning arm, yes.

Advertisement
Back