Malek Young appreciation thread

Advertisement
I was hoping we would offer the Mullen at Indiana early in the game. I thought he’d be pretty good wherever he went. You think he would have came here if we offered?
Yes I believe we could've landed him if we recruited him.

He was super slept on, but Indiana's CB coach Brandon Shelby is a good coach & recruiter & he saw the upside with Tiawan.

We took Te'Cory Couch in the 2019 class so I think Diaz didn't see the need for another undersize CB, but I believe if Rumph were allowed to recruit him we woulda got Tiawan in that class too.

Elder of Jackson from 2017 but malek Young was up there certainly

yes that‘s why I said if not injured. Malek was/is very smart great football IQ.. I think he would have had a very good NFL career based on that.

I've been rewatching games from the 2016 & 2017 season & it reminded me of how much I really enjoyed watching Malek Young play.

He showed flashes in his Freshman year where he made plays in crucial moments & had a good breakout Sophomore season. His trajectory was heading up to where by his Junior/Senior year he would've been a legit lockdown CB IMO & who knows if he would've been playing on Sunday's.

The first INT of his career vs NC St they were down by a TD & had driven down to the Red Zone in the 3rd quarter & Young Malek makes a critical TD saving pick that changed the momentum of the game & helped us pull away & take control over the game vs a good road opponent. Very nice read & play by Malek.

1lbwix.gif

And then there was INT that started it all, Malek Young was the first player to ever where the Turnover chain with a nice INT vs BCC. It was the beginning of captivating moment that swept the country in the football world for that season with the TO chain being at the forefront of all celebrations that year. Every other program followed suit, no we didn't invent it, I KNOW Bama had a TO Title belt way back in 09 & The Ravens had a Championship belt & Sword years ago even before Bama did it, but the point was Miami's chain was the talk of the 17 season & everybody else hopped on our wave.

3ube0c.gif

Another game that stood out from his Soph season was the Duke game, another very good tough road performance by 12. He had 3tcks & 3PBU's but was IMO his breakout game as a pure cover Corner, he played really well that game & showed that despite his smaller size he could hang with any WR on the outside & stay in there hip pocket, including a PBU on a 4th down play to get us the ball back. Simply put, Malek was a DAWG.

3ubihw.gif
3ubhyj.gif

Then of course there was the best game we played as a team in the last 4 years vs Notre Dame. The most notable play from that game is obviously the Bandy pick 6, but let's not forget Young had a pick & PBU that was a dropped INT & would've gave him 2, he played really well that game too.

3ubd2c.gif
3ubdmg.gif

Another underrated aspect of Young's game was his tackling ability for a smaller Corner he actually came up in run support & diagnosed very well, wasn't afraid to stick his nose in there & put a hat on somebody. He had 5tcks & 1PBU vs FSU, 4tcks vs UVA, 7tcks in the Va Tech game, 7tcks vs Toledo & often times was against the run not just on WR's who had made a catch. He was a tough aggressive CB that excelled in both aspects of the game.

3ubgey.gif
3ubhco.gif

Overall he ended up fishing his Sophomore season with 43tcks 8PBU's & 2INT's, I really hate the way his career was cut short, IMO his Junior & Senior year would've been great. No, this isn't a thread to declare Young the best ever or to say he was legend or anything like that, it's just to show some appreciation for a player that I was a big fan of & felt he had really nice potential & wish it would've worked out better for him. Some may agree or disagree, that's fine no problem with that, but just wanted to relive some positive moments from the kid's career, he layed it all on the line for this U & I as a fan of his appreciated his game.

Salute to Malek Young #12 🙌🏾 View attachment 114292
He and AR could have been getting paid for the excellence. Thanks for putting this together LCE.

Advertisement
Don't you find it odd that we had 3 career-ending neck injuries in 3 consecutive seasons?

Something doesn't smell right.
Maybe had something to do with how Gus Felder was training them that could've made players susceptible to neck injuries. Plus, the rugby style tackling too.

Young was a baller. Some of the biggest what if's these last 4 years.

Another what if I think about along with Young and Ahmmon's injuries is what if Grace and AQM never got kicked off the team?

Advertisement
I've been rewatching games from the 2016 & 2017 season & it reminded me of how much I really enjoyed watching Malek Young play.

He showed flashes in his Freshman year where he made plays in crucial moments & had a good breakout Sophomore season. His trajectory was heading up to where by his Junior/Senior year he would've been a legit lockdown CB IMO & who knows if he would've been playing on Sunday's.

The first INT of his career vs NC St they were down by a TD & had driven down to the Red Zone in the 3rd quarter & Young Malek makes a critical TD saving pick that changed the momentum of the game & helped us pull away & take control over the game vs a good road opponent. Very nice read & play by Malek.

1lbwix.gif

And then there was INT that started it all, Malek Young was the first player to ever where the Turnover chain with a nice INT vs BCC. It was the beginning of captivating moment that swept the country in the football world for that season with the TO chain being at the forefront of all celebrations that year. Every other program followed suit, no we didn't invent it, I KNOW Bama had a TO Title belt way back in 09 & The Ravens had a Championship belt & Sword years ago even before Bama did it, but the point was Miami's chain was the talk of the 17 season & everybody else hopped on our wave.

3ube0c.gif

Another game that stood out from his Soph season was the Duke game, another very good tough road performance by 12. He had 3tcks & 3PBU's but was IMO his breakout game as a pure cover Corner, he played really well that game & showed that despite his smaller size he could hang with any WR on the outside & stay in there hip pocket, including a PBU on a 4th down play to get us the ball back. Simply put, Malek was a DAWG.

3ubihw.gif
3ubhyj.gif

Then of course there was the best game we played as a team in the last 4 years vs Notre Dame. The most notable play from that game is obviously the Bandy pick 6, but let's not forget Young had a pick & PBU that was a dropped INT & would've gave him 2, he played really well that game too.

3ubd2c.gif
3ubdmg.gif

Another underrated aspect of Young's game was his tackling ability for a smaller Corner he actually came up in run support & diagnosed very well, wasn't afraid to stick his nose in there & put a hat on somebody. He had 5tcks & 1PBU vs FSU, 4tcks vs UVA, 7tcks in the Va Tech game, 7tcks vs Toledo & often times was against the run not just on WR's who had made a catch. He was a tough aggressive CB that excelled in both aspects of the game.

3ubgey.gif
3ubhco.gif

Overall he ended up fishing his Sophomore season with 43tcks 8PBU's & 2INT's, I really hate the way his career was cut short, IMO his Junior & Senior year would've been great. No, this isn't a thread to declare Young the best ever or to say he was legend or anything like that, it's just to show some appreciation for a player that I was a big fan of & felt he had really nice potential & wish it would've worked out better for him. Some may agree or disagree, that's fine no problem with that, but just wanted to relive some positive moments from the kid's career, he layed it all on the line for this U & I as a fan of his appreciated his game.

Salute to Malek Young #12 🙌🏾 View attachment 114292
This.... This made me shed a tear. Malek deserves to still be playing ball man

Young was a baller. Some of the biggest what if's these last 4 years.

Another what if I think about along with Young and Ahmmon's injuries is what if Grace and AQM never got kicked off the team?
That's a good point.

I really would've like to see how Jermaine Grace would look in this Defense. He could've played Striker or Will Backer in this system.

That speed & explosiveness would've been real nice in the 4-3/4-2-5.

Yes I believe we could've landed him if we recruited him.

He was super slept on, but Indiana's CB coach Brandon Shelby is a good coach & recruiter & he saw the upside with Tiawan.

We took Te'Cory Couch in the 2019 class so I think Diaz didn't see the need for another undersize CB, but I believe if Rumph were allowed to recruit him we woulda got Tiawan in that class too.

What are thoughts on IU's CB coach Brandon Shelby as a replacement for Coach Rumph if Manny fires him.

I think he could be a good long term replacement at CB coach. That would allow Mullen's to transfer to Miami and lock up his 2022 brother. Thus fixing UM'S cb depth problem for the next few years.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Yessir!

He was small, but he had terrific technique, very good recovery speed & was a good tackler.

I would have love to have seen him in the secondary for the 2018 season.

I always loved how he would never panic just because a receiver got a step on him.

He was a master of plaing the ball through the receivers hand, even when he couldnt see it in the air. He would catch up as the receiver entered his catching motion and attack the ball at the opponent's hands without running through him or interfering.

Much respect to Malik.

Advertisement
Back