Maine Series Points

soysoy05

Sophomore
-Dale Carey was on fire the first series, he is the key to our success. Led the team in hits, walks and steals. 5-11, 3 BB, 3-4 SB.

-David Thompson had two errors at third this series, one of them in a big spot....he is not a third baseman...this will hurt us. Also only person with more than 1 XBH.

-Collins penciled in at the 3 hole every game tells you something. 0-11 this weekend, but drew 2 BB and hit at least a couple other balls on the screws, just at people. Similar to Thompson, Collins will hurt us with his defense at 1B.

-Thought Fieger would get some more burn, only got 1 start at DH, but made the most of his opportunity and went 2-4 with 2 RBI.

-Where is Brandon Lopez? Pretty obvious Hernandez has one of the two starting middle infield spots, gets wishy washy after there with Ruiz, Rivera and I would have thought Lopez. Don't think he got into any of the games at all....something just doesn't add up.

-I'm surprised Eusebio was the opening day starter, getting two starts. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dale move back there and either Collins/Heyward/Abreu move to the OF to open a DH/corner infield spot for some more offense. If Eusebio is that good of a center fielder though, I have no problem if he is going to hit around the Mendoza with a decent OBP.

-The three southpaws all weren't as sharp as they could be, but had solid outings. Awesome, awesome stats collectively: 15 IP, 14H, 4R, 2ER, 27K, 5BB.

-8 errors in 3 games is way too many. 3 from the pitchers, 2 from Thompson, 2 from Ruiz in 4 chances and 1 from Hernandez. Ruiz is supposed to have a big bat, but that was the main cause for concern. Maybe he'll get some OF playing time in the future. You CANNOT be weak up the middle defensively. P, C, 2B, SS, CF.

-Huge series against the Gayturds this weekend who took 2 out of 3 from Maryland. 20-25 in almost all major polls. Play FAU Wednesday, have to imagine Salas will get the ball.

Advertisement
I thought I might have heard on WVUM them saying that Lopez had an injury - not 100% sure, as I was multitasking.

With Collins' struggles and Fieger making the most of his opportunities, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start back at 1B. Have to figure he'll rotate in with Thompson too. Bad defense all around. Still, you can tell that Morris has a ton of confidence in Collins, leaving him in that 3 slot on Sunday after a wretched games 1 and 2. Curious to see how he handles it going forward.

Also, big props to Tyler Palmer on the HR opening night.

Indeed, that was a bomb. I've been very anti-Palmer for a couple of years so I hope he makes me eat my words. Nonetheless, a huge liability in LF.

That would make a ton of sense for Lopez. Has to be.

-Thought Fieger would get some more burn, only got 1 start at DH, but made the most of his opportunity and went 2-4 with 2 RBI.

Brad is battling a wrist injury. It's really more of an aggravation than an injury, but it loosened up as the weekend progressed.

Advertisement
With Collins' struggles and Fieger making the most of his opportunities, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start back at 1B. Have to figure he'll rotate in with Thompson too. Bad defense all around. Still, you can tell that Morris has a ton of confidence in Collins, leaving him in that 3 slot on Sunday after a wretched games 1 and 2. Curious to see how he handles it going forward.
Fieger is a better fielder than either guy when healthy. He's extremely steady at either corner IF spot. I wish we could clone him, start him at 1B/3B, and DH for him at both spots with Collins/Thompson. Their bats are just too potentially dangerous to take out of the lineup.

As you alluded to though, if Fieger gets hot at the plate and his wrist gets better, then I could see him pushing either Thompson or Collins to the DH role. Wouldn't surprise me to be a shakeup like that against FAU just to see how it works.

Errors and quiet bats will kill any baseball team on any level...and that's what happened on Saturday. Now, Sunday on the other hand...that was nice, and what we should be when we're on throughout the season. Granted, we got some help via wild pitches/walks, but man--that offensive outburst was great to see.

Advertisement
Collins is awful & he cost you Game 2. He was involved in 4 of the 5 errors in Game 2 and had his foot off the bag at first which wasnt recorded as an error. He should have had 3 out of 4 picks - a 12 year old coulda made those. Makes everyone else look bad when you can't pick a ball. 0/13 at the plate. Fieger?? had his chance for 3 years but hopped on his opportunity when presented - even a hurt Fieger is better than what was at first. Where is Beauprez & Zunica? Zunica got in to bat only & only in Game 3. Did his job went 1/2 - would gone 2/2 but they had the shift on him - if someone is on base then they cannot do that. Seeing the same pitching as Collins as they left Collins in - why wasn't he in the field?? Matter of fact, I dont even recall seeing Beauprez at all - where was he?? Abreu is a clown. Went 0/8 or 9 before recording his first hit. Went from dragging his bat behind him like a caveman when he struck out to fist bumping when getting on base by error - clown. Laz Rivera was great at SS. Moved his feet well & barehanded a ball in Game 3. Ruiz - jury still out. Heyward - seen enough of him - he can sit. One of the Garcia freshman pitcher's - idk which one - hitting 96 MPH - we can definately see more of him. Through Game 2 our fabulous freshmen hitters went 0/17 according to the Miami Herald ... I hope Morris is as patient with his subs as he is with his "starters".

Last edited:
Collins is awful & he cost you Game 2. He was involved in 4 of the 5 errors in Game 2 and had his foot off the bag at first which wasnt recorded as an error. He should have had 3 out of 4 picks - a 12 year old coulda made those. Makes everyone else look bad when you can't pick a ball. 0/13 at the plate. Fieger?? had his chance for 3 years but hopped on his opportunity when presented - even a hurt Fieger is better than what was at first. Where is Beauprez & Zunica? Zunica got in to bat only & only in Game 3. Did his job went 1/2 - would gone 2/2 but they had the shift on him - if someone is on base then they cannot do that. Seeing the same pitching as Collins as they left Collins in - why wasn't he in the field?? Matter of fact, I dont even recall seeing Beauprez at all - where was he?? Abreu is a clown. Went 0/8 or 9 before recording his first hit. Went from dragging his bat behind him like a caveman when he struck out to fist bumping when getting on base by error - clown. Laz Rivera was great at SS. Moved his feet well & barehanded a ball in Game 3. Ruiz - jury still out. Heyward - seen enough of him - he can sit. One of the Garcia freshman pitcher's - idk which one - hitting 96 MPH - we can definately see more of him. Through Game 2 our fabulous freshmen hitters went 0/17 according to the Miami Herald ... I hope Morris is as patient with his subs as he is with his "starters".

This. Good stuff in here. Chill with Abreu though....kid was beyond amped up for his first weekend.

Very clear Collins was a liability, but didn't realize it was to that extreme already. Can't say I'm surprised. Will be interesting to monitor how Morris deals with this against UF this weekend.

I'm a little upset with Morris if I'm Fieger...a freshman starting over you at 1B AND DH opening night....Fieger deserves to start Wednesday against FAU and if he plays well should get the nod again this weekend.

I'm a little upset with Morris if I'm Fieger...a freshman starting over you at 1B AND DH opening night....Fieger deserves to start Wednesday against FAU and if he plays well should get the nod again this weekend.

Seriously?

"Brad is battling a wrist injury. It's really more of an aggravation than an injury, but it loosened up as the weekend progressed."

Abreu ... I dont like that kind of baseball - makes a big giant deal over nothing - getting on base on error & all excited. When he got his first hit - that's acceptable but 3 other guys got their 1st hit too & they didn't act like that. I think they are keeping Zunica as their double super secret weapon or something. I watched BP all 3 days ... he hit 4 bombs on Friday, 3 on Saturday & maybe 1 on Sunday over the fences in BP - several deep. Only a few other guys got it over. Where was thier other stud we keep hearing about: Beauprez??? Got to see all their other draftees: Collins, Abreu, Heyward but Beauprez was missing - he hurt or something?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yet another error by Collins at first - 2-0 FAU. OMG - YET another Pick missed by Collins - gave error to SS - YOU CANNOT PLAY FIRST IF YOU CANNOT PICK A BALL!!!! Morris was a SS - he should know this!!

Advertisement
Back