Mack Brown Press Conference

Madabs

Sophomore
Mack speaks on Miami and how improved they are from last year. Also considers Manny in the running for coach of the year in min 12.

Advertisement
He's going to end up being for them what CMR was for us. May bring in some croots and pull a 10-win season out of his *** occasionally, but he's still good for one or two FSU games per year.

tenor-2.gif

Advertisement
he sounds like a class guy. definitely knows what he is doing. i'll bet texas wishes he was their guy right now.

Advertisement
Here's Jay Bateman's presser:

What does Bateman see in King’s ability?

“I don’t think we’ve seen him make many mistakes,” Bateman said. “The key is to limit the big play opportunities for him, see if he can make throws accurately over and over and over again. Then you have to factor in the run game with him. Some people have fooled him sometimes in coverage, but the problem honestly is you fool him in coverage he tucks it down and runs. What’s scarier? Him throwing in the flat or running? So he’s a tremendous player, a lot of respect for him. This’ll be a hard day.”

Bateman also addressed how his team is using what happened against the Irish to prepare themselves for King’s ability to escape and extend plays outside of the pocket.

“I think you have to be careful what kind of blitzes you run and what kind of coverages you play behind your blitzes,” Bateman said. “Because, if they do escape one, and then there's a lot of space, right? So, I think against both of them you want to try to keep them in the pocket and try to kind of throw a vice around them.

“The thing I took away against Ian Book was that, when we did that, we were really successful and, when we didn't, we weren't. And so I think our kids understand that, too. So, I think that'll be a big piece moving forward is gap integrity and pass rush integrity against guys like this. I think that's gonna be a really big deal.”

He added that “I think with King the thing that scares you is when they run routes and you go cover them, that’s the scariest play because then he tucks it down and starts running vertically and he can bolt. When King gets into your second level he runs away from people, and that to me is the scariest part. … He’s throwing the ball at a really high level right now. I don’t know if myself and other defensive coordinators in the league would have thought that’s the case (before the year). But he’s a really complete player.”

Phil Longo Press conf

What stands out the most to Longo about the Hurricanes’ defense?

“Speed is the first thing that comes to mind,” Longo said. “They track the ball very, very well, they pursue very, very well. I will challenge you to find a reverse that got outside of one of those D ends this year. They are vertical in nature on the D line, they are going to disrupt and penetrate and create seams and creases in the offensive box. It’s tough to pull on them because they’re coming off the football and getting in the way. They’re in track stances, are going to pin their ears back and come up the field. That’s been their nature defensively up front. The linebackers track well and make the D linemen right. So if the D lineman is out of a gap the linebacker is able to melt and make some plays. And they have a very good secondary, do a good job in man coverage. They’re good on the outsides, are going to match up well with our wide receivers, do a good job of being in position at safety and at nickel It’ll be challenging. To say `Hey, we’re a major mismatch for them down the field or on the back end’ - which has been the case in some other games - is not really where we’re standing this week. Our receivers have a challenge to get open this week.”

He also says he's wary of ends Jaelan Phillips and Quincy Roche.

“I think we're going to see two of the best D ends this entire season," Longo said. "Maybe in the two years I've been here, this is the best combination of defensive ends that we've seen. They're outstanding, 15 and number 2, who we saw at Temple last year.”

Longo said that Notre Dame “did a great job of disrupting our rhythm” and doesn’t want to see the same thing happen to his team on Saturday.

Advertisement
Back