linebackers

If Buck comes back and plays with a chip on his shoulder he will show everyone and the whole fan base he is worthy. He is our best LB, perryman is a beast yes but Buck's experience will trump all. watch the man play before he got hurt, he was on just as much plays as Spence, and covered the TE well... Even dropped back into coverage good. nothing wrong with his game. Cant wait to see #45 back on the field.

Good luck getting healthy. Hope you stay positive if the coaches choose to go with some younger guys. You could still be a leader in the locker room

Advertisement
lol. in all seriousness though. Ray buck has not had big impact plays and but he was looking pretty good last year before he got hurt AND the point of this discussion is whether you'd want #45 out there or Gaines or Cornelius or Caine.

give me #45 out of that group every time.

lol. in all seriousness though. Ray buck has not had big impact plays and but he was looking pretty good last year before he got hurt AND the point of this discussion is whether you'd want #45 out there or Gaines or Cornelius or Caine.

give me #45 out of that group every time.

Give me Gaines/Cain

Advertisement
Really interested to see what Johnson and Kirby will bring to the table. Also im looking for Cain to make a big move. I think he's easily the best athlete of the group, in terms of size, strength and speed. He's shown many flashes of playmaking skills; hopefully the light comes on, and stays on this year.

Nope.Buchanon is still the best and most experienced LB here. Perryman has the opportunity to do a lot more as a U.M football player, but Buchanon is unquestionably the best right now.

Completely disagree with this. Perryman's Freshman stats are close to that of RB's career. In fact according to College Football stats .com Buchanon has accounted for a total of 106 tackles in 4 years where as Perryman had 68 as a true freshman and his 68 are higher than any year of RB's career.

Hasn't Buch played a lot of SLB. Don't most 4-3 systems allow for the WLB to run free without a lot of second level blocking.

Advertisement
I disagree, I'm worried about our whole defense and LB is no exception. Perryman and Buchanan are the only LBs I trust, I have not been impressed with anyone else. Paul, Gaines and Cain are the only other LBs with significant experience and it looks like Cain is going to be used more as a DE/LB rusher. Paul and Gaines looked awful last year to me, hopefully they've gotten better, but I'm going to remain skeptical until I see otherwise. Kirby sounds like the real deal, but he is still a freshman without any college experience, so I'm going to wait and see on him. Hopefully someone steps up to be a solid 3rd LB, but if Perryman goes down or Buchanan can't bounce back from his injury, I think we're in trouble there.The only good thing I see at LB is we're finally getting some depth there, something we've been lacking for a long time.

This. I know spring is the time for optimism but most of you guys sound crazy to me. And expecting the smurfs we are bringing in like Witt to make an immediate impact is a questionable proposition at best.

I am pumped that "word" is our LB are stronger and tougher - Perryman has earned the reputation as our best LB, now can that translate at the MLB position?? If we see a move back to WLB, what does that mean - cause it could mean a few things right... These are all young backers, we can all agree on that, and AFTER this season i think we will have a good idea about our starters for the next 2/3 years. Linder said Gaines brings it the hardest, but is he disciplined in his reads? RBUCH - can he stay healthy - or else all else is moot...I think we all want to see Kirby on the field, and I love Witt's agressivness - but a redshirt would be good for him - kind of like JHamilton - we need him on the field and would be "nice" to see what kid can do - but a RS would do wonders for him IMO. Paul has great speed and will get his chances to earn starting time. Golden has these young men firing away but those with the highest football IQ and discipline will see the field!! I am tired of our D killing Gt and then getting mashed on by UV. That team should be our measuring stick for toughness (unfortunatly) - then we can move up to the SEC teams.

glad you brought up jelani himilton. haven't heard his name in any conversations for next year and he's a dlineman which we need help at(i know hes not an early entery.). also i kind of like the whole bringing it hard thing about gaines. i know people are questioning his discipline bit i miss our kids jacking people up. kind of hope he finds a spot.

I am pumped that "word" is our LB are stronger and tougher - Perryman has earned the reputation as our best LB, now can that translate at the MLB position?? If we see a move back to WLB, what does that mean - cause it could mean a few things right... These are all young backers, we can all agree on that, and AFTER this season i think we will have a good idea about our starters for the next 2/3 years. Linder said Gaines brings it the hardest, but is he disciplined in his reads? RBUCH - can he stay healthy - or else all else is moot...I think we all want to see Kirby on the field, and I love Witt's agressivness - but a redshirt would be good for him - kind of like JHamilton - we need him on the field and would be "nice" to see what kid can do - but a RS would do wonders for him IMO. Paul has great speed and will get his chances to earn starting time. Golden has these young men firing away but those with the highest football IQ and discipline will see the field!! I am tired of our D killing Gt and then getting mashed on by UV. That team should be our measuring stick for toughness (unfortunatly) - then we can move up to the SEC teams.

Advertisement
Wow. I must have been watching a different Buchanon. Let's forget that he was a highly touted recruit for a minute and face facts, he hasnt done a thing since he has been here.

He has experience but thats it. Perryman made more of an impact last season than all of Buchanon's time here combined.
**** no!!! Agree 100%.

I hope he see the light this season, but until now, Buchanon is a big underachiever...

Gaines gets a bad wrap. People forget he's still only 19 years old and he's already had a year at MLB. We should be loving this kid. He's a good football player and a great leader. He will have a big year this year on the weak side. It's no shame that Perryman is a better LB, he's a future Butkus finalist.

3FW with a homerun! Guys Gaines is still younger than most kids a full grade lower than he is! He is still a pup, I think he will do well in his new role that will fit his size better. And if the young guys like Kirby, Eddie Johnson, and Paul that is a long way down the depth chart. I am totally in the boat of, "how much has he really done here?" I do agree taht he was looking much better but now you have to think about our last spped guy who came back early and he lost all that made him as good as he was, his speed. That is the best thing going for him and I dont think guys truly get that stuff back till year two from a knee injury and I just think Buch will not be close enough to overcome these young studs on this team now. Just my opinion

Advertisement
I honestly believe Buchanon will be a non factor this season. Perryman is our best LB and these young guys might show more than Buchanon since he's coming off a knee injury and has not played in this defensive system yet.

Advertisement
Back