LB Unit

dodaniels

Freshman
It seems that Flagg, Smith, and Huff were on the 1st team, no issues there. I didn't see any glaring issues outside of lack of experience. I'm glad to see some athleticism returned to the group.

Honestly, it was noticeable when Jennings and Steed were on the field.

What were your assessment about the group?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nah but forreal though. I haven’t seen one of our LBs close on the ball carrier like that in ages.
Because we’ve been recruiting edge rushers to play LBer. I’ve been yelling it from the roof top for years. Funny how when we played 2 former safeties and somebody who actually played LB in high school we looked faster and more instinctual.

Jennings played LB in high school and everyone here hates him the most.
When we recruited BJ everybody knew he was going to be a limited guy. He was a thumper at best and he’s average at even being that. You can try to argue all you want. We have a ton of dudes that were edge guys in high school including McCloud. Funny how Huff(a former safety), Smith(a former safety), Flagg(HS LBer), and Cave(HS LBer) are the best backers. Proof is in the product. You don’t recruit edge guys to play LBer. I don’t care how good Micah Parsons is.

Advertisement
When we recruited BJ everybody knew he was going to be a limited guy. He was a thumper at best and he’s average at even being that. You can try to argue all you want. We have a ton of dudes that were edge guys in high school including McCloud. Funny how Huff(a former safety), Smith(a former safety), Flagg(HS LBer), and Cave(HS LBer) are the best backers. Proof is in the product. You don’t recruit edge guys to play LBer. I don’t care how good Micah Parsons is.
Agreed. Once in a while it can work, but generally converted edge rushers aren't good at diagnosing a play. And if you can't do that, you're pretty worthless trying to play LB. Recruit LBs (or Safeties) to play LB.

One of the biggest problems our LB core faces is a problem that isn’t even their fault 50% of the time. Our dlinemen don’t make thier job easy in the run game. DT shoot gaps and leaving free Olinmen to get up to the 2nd level and our DEs don’t seal the edges. I’m hopeful Simpson will get them playing like they did in 2018 when he was here they were much more sound of a unit

Because we’ve been recruiting edge rushers to play LBer. I’ve been yelling it from the roof top for years. Funny how when we played 2 former safeties and somebody who actually played LB in high school we looked faster and more instinctual.
It's a growing trend.

Frierson DB 2 LB
McCloud LB 2 DE
Carter DB 2 LB
Smith DB 2 LB

Advertisement
Just have to keep develop the young guys Flagg, Keynotra, and huff and by midseason this will be a above average unit

Yea I think that's fair.. We may have been overly jazzed to have taken a "legacy" player from FSU.

Advertisement
One of the biggest problems our LB core faces is a problem that isn’t even their fault 50% of the time. Our dlinemen don’t make thier job easy in the run game. DT shoot gaps and leaving free Olinmen to get up to the 2nd level and our DEs don’t seal the edges. I’m hopeful Simpson will get them playing like they did in 2018 when he was here they were much more sound of a unit
bingo : our d line consistently take themselves out of

The question is do we still go get the guy from USC Palaie Gaoteote from the portal. He had over 100 tackles at USC.

It's a growing trend.

Frierson DB 2 LB
McCloud LB 2 DE
Carter DB 2 LB
Smith DB 2 LB
That's abysmal, and underscores the disastrous string of recruiting evaluation failures led by Manny, who was responsible for LBs during the years all those players were recruited. ****, the only decent true LBs during Manny's reign were Shaq and Pickney, both recruited under Dorito. It's really shocking that a program with UMs tradition at LB is stuck in this spot. Transfer portal is the only option in my opinion.

Advertisement
Back