Lawson update

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
Tampa Hillsborough High School QB and Cane commitment Dwayne Lawson has already taken a visit to Virginia Tech, and he's set to visit Miami and Mississippi in January - one will be the 16th and one the following weekend, but neither are set in stone yet.

USF is also in the mix for a visit.

"He's still committed, just wants to make sure he's walking into the best situation in June," Lawson's offensive coordinator, Max Warner, said.

Hillsborough High head coach Earl Garcia adds of Lawson that he is "solid to Miami."

"At Miami you have a true freshman (Brad Kaaya) that played lights out as a freshman, but Dwayne is going to be able to add a different dimension to the offense," Garcia said. "His strength is the read option, so he could have a package there right away to be able to help out in that aspect."

Garcia says Miami has a gem on its hands in his athletic QB.

"He's the best I've had, literally, in 40 years of high school coaching," Garcia said. "He's a state champions in the triple jump, which speaks to his athletic ability. He's had a great career, set school records in total offense and rushing for a quarterback, yards passing - he threw for over 5,800 yards and rushed for over 2,200. He's really been spectacular for us for three years. He has a great football IQ. Unless he gets hurt I see him playing on Sundays."

The comparison?

That would be to Cam Newton.

"I saw Can Newton play in college, and he's a young Cam Newton," Garcia said. "He really is. He's 217 pounds, a big kid, 6-5. He has a chance to grow into that position and he's the prototype quarterback that everyone's looking for in college at this time."

Lawson has offers from programs around the country including Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Virginia.

Advertisement
We need Lawson... He is ONE snap away from starting next year! Plus I love his game, it's a totally different style of ball. They will have specific packages for him for his Redshirt freshman year. We have never had a QB like him before. I look forward to it...

Lawson if you're reading this... Please stick.... YOU WILL BE THE 1st AFRICAN AMERICAN to lead us to a National Title after Kayaa becomes the first Bi - racial QB to lead us to the promise land

Advertisement
Lawson if you're reading this... Please stick.... YOU WILL BE THE 1st AFRICAN AMERICAN to lead us to a National Title after Kayaa becomes the first Bi - racial QB to lead us to the promise land

Smh..... Dumb is what dumb does.... Both Kayaa parents are Black...

You can question Coley on his play calling but he has been spot on so far in the QB's he has gone after first. Hopefully Lawson comes and develops into a dual threat for us.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back