Lashlee dishes on offensive progress, left guard battle

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Following Monday’s practice, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee spoke about the progression he’s seen from his offense, including how redshirt senior D’Eriq King has looked running his system.

“I’ve learned he’s got really good instincts at quarterback,” Lashlee said of King. “He’s smart, knows what to do, throws it well, runs it well. He has good intangibles, instincts at the position. He’s a quick study, understands space, the game, how defenses play, and rarely makes the same mistake twice.”

With King entrenched as QB1, one of the main questions on the offense is who his top target will be. Asked about junior WR Mark Pope, Lashlee pointed to the consistency he’s shown in camp thus far.

“Mark’s been one of our guys that has gotten steadily better as camp has gone on. That’s because we’re hopefully putting him in position to be successful,” Lashlee said. “He continues to gain confidence, and when you’re a confident player, you play better.”

On the OL, the main position battle has been at left guard, where Jakai Clark, Ousman Traore, and Zion Nelson have all seen work with the first team at various points this fall.

“All those guys are improving,” Lashlee said. “We’ve been able to keep a lot of them in the same spots for the last week, week and a half. They’re still getting competition. We’re going to need all those guys, whether it’s injuries, all the testing that’s going to happen. We’ll probably get through this weekend before we totally settle everything. Whether it’s Ousman or Jakai - every practice is valuable.”

In what areas does Lashlee want to see the offense

“Whoever is in the best physical and mental shape will have a chance, just the level of execution (is important),” Lashlee said. “Just attention to detail, execution (is necessary).”

Much has also been made about the increase in pace on offense during practice, something Lashlee cautioned is worthless without adding the efficiency to sustain drives.

"At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you’re trying to go fast or not, you have to execute,” Lashlee said. “The way you run over 80 plays a game on offense is getting first downs. Otherwise, we’ll just be running plays really fast and punting faster than we want to.”

With the first game of the season against UAB set for next week, Lashlee gave his overall take on what he is expecting from his unit vs. the Blazers.

“I’m just really pleased with our guys buying into what we’re doing, changing out style of play on offense from what the guys did last year,” Lashlee said. “Their attitude has been great, their effort has been great. They’re excited about what we’re trying to do. I want our guys to play hard, play together, play tough and just play four quarters and find a way to finish, see what we can do. A lot of new guys, each week you hope to get better."

Advertisement
my own deadpool GIF

Following Monday’s practice, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee spoke about the progression he’s seen from his offense, including how redshirt senior D’Eriq King has looked running his system.

“I’ve learned he’s got really good instincts at quarterback,” Lashlee said of King. “He’s smart, knows what to do, throws it well, runs it well. He has good intangibles, instincts at the position. He’s a quick study, understands space, the game, how defenses play, and rarely makes the same mistake twice.”

With King entrenched as QB1, one of the main questions on the offense is who his top target will be. Asked about junior WR Mark Pope, Lashlee pointed to the consistency he’s shown in camp thus far.

“Mark’s been one of our guys that has gotten steadily better as camp has gone on. That’s because we’re hopefully putting him in position to be successful,” Lashlee said. “He continues to gain confidence, and when you’re a confident player, you play better.”

On the OL, the main position battle has been at left guard, where Jakai Clark, Ousman Traore, and Zion Nelson have all seen work with the first team at various points this fall.

“All those guys are improving,” Lashlee said. “We’ve been able to keep a lot of them in the same spots for the last week, week and a half. They’re still getting competition. We’re going to need all those guys, whether it’s injuries, all the testing that’s going to happen. We’ll probably get through this weekend before we totally settle everything. Whether it’s Ousman or Jakai - every practice is valuable.”

In what areas does Lashlee want to see the offense

“Whoever is in the best physical and mental shape will have a chance, just the level of execution (is important),” Lashlee said. “Just attention to detail, execution (is necessary).”

Much has also been made about the increase in pace on offense during practice, something Lashlee cautioned is worthless without adding the efficiency to sustain drives.

"At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you’re trying to go fast or not, you have to execute,” Lashlee said. “The way you run over 80 plays a game on offense is getting first downs. Otherwise, we’ll just be running plays really fast and punting faster than we want to.”

With the first game of the season against UAB set for next week, Lashlee gave his overall take on what he is expecting from his unit vs. the Blazers.

“I’m just really pleased with our guys buying into what we’re doing, changing out style of play on offense from what the guys did last year,” Lashlee said. “Their attitude has been great, their effort has been great. They’re excited about what we’re trying to do. I want our guys to play hard, play together, play tough and just play four quarters and find a way to finish, see what we can do. A lot of new guys, each week you hope to get better."
Thank you for the update Stefan! It is appreciated.

Advertisement
I know it's a subtle thing, but my favorite part of that entire interview was the "we've been able to keep them at the same spots" part. You extrapolate that and it means the other 4 positions on the line are probably also having the same guys in their respective spots and showing continuity.

To me, continuity on the line and sheer volume of reps is crucial to having good O-line play. I have a feeling our O Line is going to be A LOT better than many of us think. The fact we might actually have the luxury of leaving Scaife at guard gives me optimism.

I know this is stating the obvious but love that he said it anyways:

Over 80 plays on offense, huh?

Would be a dream.

2019 68.4
2018 66.0
2017 67.0
2016 69.0
2015 69.5
2014 66.2
2013 64.0
2012 70.1
2011 64.5
2010 73.2

Wait, and he wants to do it with less 3 and outs?

You're just ******* with us, Coach Lashlee, right?
“If your not executing in this system your just in a hurry to go 3 & and out and **** up your defense”- Unknown Philadelphia eagles player on chip kelly

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I know it's a subtle thing, but my favorite part of that entire interview was the "we've been able to keep them at the same spots" part. You extrapolate that and it means the other 4 positions on the line are probably also having the same guys in their respective spots and showing continuity.

To me, continuity on the line and sheer volume of reps is crucial to having good O-line play. I have a feeling our O Line is going to be A LOT better than many of us think. The fact we might actually have the luxury of leaving Scaife at guard gives me optimism.
I'm excited for this team. Forgive me if I take a wait and see attitude on this OLine.

I'm excited for this team. Forgive me if I take a wait and see attitude on this OLine.
I hear you but as I've said many times.....it's amazing the type of impact a good QB and OC can have on the perceived performance of an O-line. The issue is we haven't had EITHER of those things around here for some time. My hope stems from the assumption we've found both of those things.

I hear you but as I've said many times.....it's amazing the type of impact a good QB and OC can have on the perceived performance of an O-line. The issue is we haven't had EITHER of those things around here for some time. My hope stems from the assumption we've found both of those things.
Yep. A QB that is decisive and gets the ball out will make an O-line look much better. My favorite part of the OC interview was:

"I’ve learned he’s got really good instincts at quarterback,” Lashlee said of King. “He’s smart, knows what to do, throws it well, runs it well. He has good intangibles, instincts at the position. He’s a quick study, understands space, the game, how defenses play, and rarely makes the same mistake twice."

Amazing he started at left tackle as a true freshman. Not his fault.

I hope he redshirts this season, gets huge and has a great career in a couple years as a two-year starter at guard.
I hope he does the same and becomes a reliable part of the rotation. I don't foresee him as a future starter based upon what is on the roster and the faces coming in '21.

Advertisement
Back