Lashlee, Baker pleased with Duke blowout, look to Tar Heels

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Following Monday’s drills, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee spoke about UM’s win over Duke this weekend, including why RB Jaylan Knighton started over usual starter Cam’Ron Harris; Knighton left the game in the first quarter with an injury and did not return.

“Jaylan earned that opportunity,” Lashlee said. “It was unfortunate what happened (to Knighton), after three carries dinged up. Hopefully, we get Jaylan back.”

Tight end Brevin Jordan had a big game in his second contest back from a shoulder, recording 4 catches for 75 yards to again form a solid TE tandem with Will Mallory (1 catch, 10 yards).

“Having both those guys is a big deal for us,” Lashlee said. “You’ll see a lot more out of Mallory soon.”

OL Navaughn Donaldson played a big role at LG after Jakai Clark left the game with an injury, including paving the way for a 34-yard Harris TD run in the first quarter. It was Donaldson’s first action after spending the majority of the season on the sidelines rehabbing from a knee injury in last year’s Duke game.

“I wasn’t here a year ago, but to know that’s the same field he suffered the injury a year ago - a silver lining there,” Lashlee said. “We’re optimistic Jakai is okay as well. Nicks and bruises happen in games. The TD run for Cam, Navaughn smacked (the defender) and the hole was big. We’re going to need him down the stretch I think.”

The return of Donaldson and other offensive linemen from COVID issues has given Miami a lot of its depth back heading into the season’s final games, and UM was able to get true freshmen linemen Jalen Rivers and Chris Washington some snaps due to the blowout nature of the Duke game.

“This year has necessitated that you have to be ready to play a lot of guys, different mixes and matches,” Lashlee said. “You like your O-Line to have continuity, but there’s been good competition. Guys that have needed to step up, they have. It’ll help us down the road, next year especially. The depth we've been able to create helps us down the stretch."

With so many talented players on offense, Lashlee said there are no issues within the team about players wanting more reps than they’re getting.

“The best thing is we have guys that play for each other,” Lashlee said. “They want to win, score points. Sometimes one of the running backs might be a hot hand - the receivers, one week it might be them. This year whether with all the COVID stuff or injuries, its worked itself out because we’ve rarely had them all at the same time. Usually when you win, the individual success comes, individual accolades comes. These guys have really bought into that.”

Freshman QB Tyler Van Dyke was on the unavailability list last weekend vs. Duke and missed an opportunity to see the field in the 4th quarter when Miami emptied their bench. Backup QB’s N’Kosi Perry and Peyton Matocha ended up getting snaps instead.

“Tyler has handled himself very well for a freshman academically, what we’re doing,” Lashlee said. “Great attitude, great mindset. We’re excited things are looking better for him. He’s done good. We’re excited about Tyler, not just the rest of this year, but for the future.

“It was good to get (the backup QB’s) in there with a full quarter of football left, let them run some plays. We haven’t had many of those games, they’ve all come down to the wire. It was good to get those guys in.”

The Canes will welcome #17 North Carolina this weekend, and the Tar Heels sport a defense that gives up 404 ypg and 28.6 ppg.

“They do a good job of being very multiple in their fronts,” Lashlee said. “They’re very active, play hard. They give great effort. I think they’ve got some long guys at corner that play big… You can tell second year in the system they feel good about what they’re doing. Like anybody, they’ve had their ups and downs this year. But we’re going to have to play really well.”

With a high-scoring UNC offense on the other side of the ball, Lashlee said that wouldn’t affect anything that he does in terms of his own game planning.

“We have the same mindset every game,” Lashlee said. “I don’t think you can change who you are. They have an explosive offense, very good defense, we have to go out and play well.”

In recruiting, with the early signing period approaching next week, does Lashlee still expect to add a QB in this class?

“Yeah, obviously we can’t talk about recruits,” Lashlee said. “There’s an early signing period, late signing period. We feel really good about the guys we have, are still trying to add pieces to the class, will try to do it in the early and late signing period.”

**According to defensive coordinator Blake Baker, an underrated benefit of the Duke blowout was the staff having the opportunity to play their younger players the majority of the 4th quarter.

“More than anything, our goal was to get everyone that got on that plane in the game - getting those young guys meaningful snaps in the game, that’s how they get better,” Baker said. “That to me is much more important than the shutout. Obviously, the shutout is an incredible accomplishment.”

Baker also was pleased by the Canes’ ability to form tackle and swarm ballcarriers in the game.

“That was by far our cleanest game, really not only from a tackling standpoint but from leverage - taking good angles and finishing on the ball,” Baker said. “Probably one of the greatest games I’ve been part of in my career. They know we can continue to get better as long as we stay humble and stay hungry.”

That strong effort came with starting LB Zach McCloud and key backup LB Sam Brooks out with COVID issues, leading to LB Waynmon Steed getting his first career start.

“He had a great week of preparation,” Baker said of Steed. “Didn’t even know he was going to get the start until Friday. Didn’t bat an eye and really had a great game for us.”

Freshman LB Corey Flagg also stepped up off the bench with 5 tackles.

“I think more than anything it’s probably just a natural progression of just his development, getting more and more comfortable within the defense,” Baker said of Flagg.

Miami’s front seven put a ton of pressure on Duke’s passers, finishing with 3 sacks and 13 TFL; they were led by Quincy Roche (1.5 sacks, 3 TFL, FF, FR) and Jaelan Phillips (1.5 sacks, 3.5 TFL).

“Those guys did an outstanding job,” Baker said of Roche and Phillips. “They have great chemistry. Just their unselfishness has really shown through. They’ve all really taken control of their roles, are more comfortable in their roles. They’re going to be paramount to what we’re doing this weekend. Those guys are going to have to play well. When this scheme plays well it’s because your safeties are playing to a high level.”

Baker is referring to the North Carolina game this weekend, as the #17 Tar Heels are known for their strong offensive attack in averaging 41.1 ppg and 534.5 ypg and are led by QB Sam Howell.

“Howell doses a great job,” Baker said. “Extends the play outside the pocket… The wide receivers are all explosive, the running backs as good as anyone we’ve seen, a great combination of a power back, speed back… They’re extremely explosive. When you look across the board, I’d say the most explosive offense we’ve seen to date. To me, one of the tougher ones to defend. A very complex RPO game, can distribute the ball in a variety of ways.”

Baker was also asked about the play of backup DE Jahfari Harvey, who had 2 tackles and a TFL vs. Duke in his return from COVID issues.

“It’s hard getting him snaps,” Baker said. “You can see his development, his consistency, understanding of what we want out of him. He’s definitely getting better. We want to play (the backup DE’s) more. Those two (starters) are playing lights out, it’s hard to get them off the field.”

With CB Al Blades out with COVID issues, Miami’s young freshman cornerbacks were pressed into their first meaningful action against Duke, and Baker was impressed by the play of Marcus Clarke (3 tackles, INT) and Isaiah Dunson (2 tackles).

“I think our corners probably played their cleanest game of the season,” Baker said. “They had to pick up some slack with Al being out. TC (Te’Cory Couch) is continuing to play at a high level, DJ (Ivey) played really, really well. Those two young guys balled out - Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke.

“I’m encouraged, I really am. But this week is a different monster when you talk about the type of talent the receivers have at North Carolina. But I have all the confidence in the world in our corners. They’re playing at a high level.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back