Off-Topic Keith McCants, RIP---what an irony!

TheMatador

All-ACC
Just saw that former Bama All America LB Keith McCants died, apparently of a drug overdose.

For the last number of days, I've been trying to remember the name of a star player on the 1989 Bama team that we beat in the '90 Sugar Bowl, which gave us the National Championship for the '89 season.

I'm pretty sure it was McCants, and he was the best player on the Alabama defense that year. On one play, our tiny RB, Leonard Conley (listed at 170) just slipped through his arms on an attempted tackle. I can't remember if the play resulted in a TD. Conley must have given up 60 or more pounds to McCants, but he made him look like a fool.

I also remember Bama fans, who were all around me, were ooh-ing and ah-ing at how quick our defense was.

I had watched Bama manhandle us all through the '60's...it was so satisfying to beat them in that game, especially when they had the much bigger crowd. It was really a home game for them.

That play by Conley so typified what it meant to be a Miami Hurricane during that era.

I am sorry to hear about his passing, but it brought back a great memory. I hope there are some more after Saturday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...dead-in-florida-home/ar-AAO2fXw?ocid=msedgntp

Advertisement
My Bucs drafted McCants 4th overall. San Diego selected Junior Seau 5th.

One in long line of Bucs terrible first rounds picks.

Sad story to read he’s passed, in such a tragic way.

That's the 2nd former Buc to pass away from an OD this year, RIP.

Former Patriot David Patten died in a motorcycle accident the same day, RIP.

Advertisement
Back