Kameron McGusty

Its really difficult for a transfer to take leadership of a team his first year. It can happen(Mcclinton) but in most cases they need to have played in the system at least one year before being able to assert themselves over guys who have been there already.

Advertisement
Maybe not totally built around transfers because like Austincane said Larkin was technically not a transfer(he was a last minute flip) and he was the best player on that team. KK and TMJ were both supplementary players which is my point. The real juice on that team was Durand Scott who was a leader here since his freshman year and Larkin. In any event transfers can be very helpful in filling out a roster or making up recruiting ground when the FBI takes a dump on you.
Think KK especially and TMJ, to a lesser extent, were far more than "supplementary" players. Also, I recall a big question as to whether Larkin would have to sit out a year or not. In the end, I think it was the "medical condition" card that allowed him to play immediately. So, technically, I think he was definitely viewed by the powers-that-be as a "transfer."

And we had little leadership last year. I really think Amp needs to step up and be a vocal leader as well as Lykes.
I thought Bruce would have been able to be the on/off court leader but his injury stifled that. But yeah Amp isn't assertive enough. Lykes will be confident enough next year to step into that role along with Dewan. Dewan was a good leader at Norland and next year while he's trying to get his NBA game on he should be much improved in that department.

Amp will play like a senior though.

Think KK especially and TMJ, to a lesser extent, were far more than "supplementary" players. Also, I recall a big question as to whether Larkin would have to sit out a year or not. In the end, I think it was the "medical condition" card that allowed him to play immediately. So, technically, I think he was definitely viewed by the powers-that-be as a "transfer."
I think you're right. He may have signed an LOI with Depaul and used the medical condition to get out of it without being penalized the 1 year transfer penalty.

Advertisement
McGusty was actually the #41 ranked player in the 2016 class. That's pretty close to 5* territory.

Having Trae Young require the ball 95% of the time really hurt him this year. He's a lot like McClellan in that his strength is with the ball in his hands
He is the type of player who will be a valuable upper classmen for us. Coach L seems to need established veterans for deep runs in the tournament.

I thought Bruce would have been able to be the on/off court leader but his injury stifled that. But yeah Amp isn't assertive enough. Lykes will be confident enough next year to step into that role along with Dewan. Dewan was a good leader at Norland and next year while he's trying to get his NBA game on he should be much improved in that department.

Amp will play like a senior though.

Someone has to step up and being like Davon or Angel.

Advertisement
Back