Josh Garnett, 5 star OL

Advertisement
CanesFan782 - yes, I've been to Auburn. Jeez.

And yes, it's butt ugly there. Especially compared to South Florida.

Or **** near anywhere else. Pine trees? Yeah, man, the sunsets at Auburn are just as awe-inspiring as the cow fields.

Where you from - Somalia?

CanesFan782 - yes, I've been to Auburn. Jeez.

And yes, it's butt ugly there. Especially compared to South Florida.

Or **** near anywhere else. Pine trees? Yeah, man, the sunsets at Auburn are just as awe-inspiring as the cow fields.

Where you from - Somalia?
Bearguy?

Puyallup (Wash.) offensive lineman Joshua Garnett was expecting to enjoy his trip to Michigan for the Ohio State game. However, he wasn't expecting to be blown away. Luckily for the Wolverines, the visit exceeded his expectations.

"I think my expectations were just to see the Big House, and maybe hang out with some dudes," he said. "I definitely wasn't prepared for how big Michigan Stadium was, and how many fans were going to be there, and what the atmosphere would be like during one of the games."

The product on the field was just as good. Michigan knocked off Ohio State 40-34 in a thrilling addition to college football's greatest rivalry. Seeing how many players return for Michigan next year - and what it means for the program's success going forward - was an exciting prospect.

"Denard is a very very fast person," Garnett laughed. "For being not huge, he is very athletic. It was fun seeing the offensive line work. Next year with Denard there, and a pretty good class coming in, they'll be able to vie for a national championship. They were two games away this year from being in one of those top spots."

The coaching staff brought home that point in their recruiting pitch to Garnett. They also pointed out that starters David Molk and Mark Huyge depart after 2011, leaving some openings on the offensive line.

"[They said] there's not a lot of lineman they have coming back, and it's an opportunity to come in and compete for a spot," Garnett said.

Academics will also play a big role in Garnett's eventual decision. Though the 6-5, 275-pound prospect is known as a dominating run blocker - enough for Rivals.com to rank him the No. 7 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 28 prospect regardless of position - he also is focused on his studies. That has helped Michigan and Stanford move to the forefront of his recruitment.

"Those are definitely the top two schools I'm looking at right now," Garnett said. "Just because of the academic piece and the football piece, they're on top."

Since Michigan and Stanford both offer what Garnett wants on the field and in the classroom, relationships will account for the difference between his favorites. Comfort with the coaching staffs is a priority, but the players that he will be suiting up with are important to Garnett as well.

"I think what's going to be the deciding factor for me," Garnett said, "is talking to the players a lot more, on Facebook and Twitter and that stuff. Seeing how I mesh with those guys is probably going to be the deciding factor now."

Garnett has been selected to participated in the Under Armour All American Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Jan. 7, but he's not going to announce a commitment during the broadcast. He plans to decide in late January, shortly before National Signing Day on Feb. 1.

Advertisement
If he seriously wants to be a doctor you can probably rule out Auburn.
If he wants to be a doctor, he can probably rule out D1 football.

If he wants to play D1 though, Miami has one of the best medical schools in D1.

I would have to imagine that Michigan also has a pretty good medical school, but I would say it's between the 2 UM's.

They both have great medical schools, but that is beside the point. If you don't graduate with over a 3.5 GPA in your undergraduate classes, its gonna be tough sledding getting into ANY medical school, unless it's a D.O. school, or a caribbean school. Unless he majors in English, or Psych and does the pre-reqs after he's done with football, or he crushes the MCAT which will be **** near impossible without 60 hours of upper level science.

Good luck to the young man.

If he seriously wants to be a doctor you can probably rule out Auburn.
If he wants to be a doctor, he can probably rule out D1 football.

If he wants to play D1 though, Miami has one of the best medical schools in D1.

I would have to imagine that Michigan also has a pretty good medical school, but I would say it's between the 2 UM's.

They both have great medical schools, but that is beside the point. If you don't graduate with over a 3.5 GPA in your undergraduate classes, its gonna be tough sledding getting into ANY medical school, unless it's a D.O. school, or a caribbean school. Unless he majors in English, or Psych and does the pre-reqs after he's done with football, or he crushes the MCAT which will be **** near impossible without 60 hours of upper level science.

Good luck to the young man.

I wasn't saying you were wrong and understand that undergrad work has a great deal of impact on gettting into Med school was just pointing out that Michigan is always looked at as a great academic school.

If we can bring him down for a visit...it'll be nice, but I don't think this kid is very interested in moving to the complete opposite side of the country...that kind of movement is very rare for one of these kids.

Chalk me up thinking Stanford's got this kid. On the west coast, you don't pass up a Stanford scholarship if you are really interested in academics.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back