Joe Yearby and Mark Walton Usage in Passing Game

tinman_96

Redshirt Freshman
Hey guys, first post here. I'm a college student. Been following the site for the past year and decided to dive all the way in and create an account. I'm excited to see Richt's offense this year. I hope we use Yearby and Walton in the passing game. They are versatile match-up nightmare for linebackers and strong safeties. It was frustrated to see Coley's inept play calling. Having Philip Dorsett block on screen passes and never using duke in the passing game. Also as I see everyone here complaining about the O-line, a way to mask our awful pass blocking is a short passing attack. This is where Coley failed. He would call play with each receiver running double moves on a 5 step drop and Brad would get killed. So I hope that Yearby and Walton are used leaking about of the backfield, getting them the ball. It is one and one match-up with a linebacker. I'll take those two in the open field with a linebacker all day.
End of Rant.

Advertisement
I agree both are very versatile coming out of the backfield. Yearby might have the best hands on the team. I would like to see them on the field together in certain situations. Bottom line though neither have shown to be elite at running the ball. I know the line was horrid last year but great running backs can make bad lines look average. The entire team needs to make the next step.

Welcome. I'm interested to see what coach does with our RB's skill sets also. He did a good job taking advantage of Amp Lee & Warrick Dunn mismatches back in the day at FSU. It should be fun to watch. Enjoy the next 4years, time of your life. Although, the blur that was my 20's were pretty fun from what I understand. 30's too. Anywho, have a blast.

Go Canes!

Both are all purpose backs I'd like to see them get more screens myself. The only problem I noticed on the past was open field blocking. When you watch FSU, Clemson, UNC games their TEs WRs stayed glued to the defender long enough to spring plays. This team must perfect little things like that first to have more success in the short passing game.

Hey guys, first post here. I'm a college student. Been following the site for the past year and decided to dive all the way in and create an account. I'm excited to see Richt's offense this year. I hope we use Yearby and Walton in the passing game. They are versatile match-up nightmare for linebackers and strong safeties. It was frustrated to see Coley's inept play calling. Having Philip Dorsett block on screen passes and never using duke in the passing game. Also as I see everyone here complaining about the O-line, a way to mask our awful pass blocking is a short passing attack. This is where Coley failed. He would call play with each receiver running double moves on a 5 step drop and Brad would get killed. So I hope that Yearby and Walton are used leaking about of the backfield, getting them the ball. It is one and one match-up with a linebacker. I'll take those two in the open field with a linebacker all day.
End of Rant.

Welcome! Good first post. I agree with you in regards to Yearby and Walton and their potential value in the passing game. I am very much looking forward to seeing how Richt exploits opposing defenses using those two. There are so many different and creative things we could do offensively with formation and motion using Yearby and Walton now that we have a seasoned and competent coach calling plays. I would love to see Gus Edwards establish himself as a force running between the tackles and use Yearby and Walton in all purpose roles. It's going to be interesting for sure.

We have some serious matchup nightmares on this team. In addition to Walton and Yearby in the passing game you have a TE corps that consists of Standish Dobard, Chris Herndon and David Njoku. With guys like Coley, Richards and Bruce on the outside and a Heisman caliber QB in Kaaya we have plenty of firepower. Now about that OL........Searles and Felder have their work cut out for them but the raw material is there for the most part.

Advertisement
I agree with Njoku, I would like to see him flexed out in formations almost like how the patriots use Gronk. Gronk isn't used in the traditional in-line tight end. They motion him sending him across the formation, getting him on linebackers and corners. Njoku presents a problem with that. He's way to big for a corner to cover and to fast for a line backer.

Yeah our o-line has some issues. The biggest thing with the oline is to have 5 guys settled and roll with them. Kehoe and golden kept rotating these lineman and they could never get used to a position. I remember seeing McDermott playing at guard and the next series he was at right tackle. Pick a line combo and roll with them.

With a new OC, and a year in the weight room I think Walton is going to beast this year. Good speed, good hands, and he's not afraid to take a hit. He's a weapon on any down.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Walton, with his receiving ability, used like Sony was used when Chubb was healthy. Sony lined up in the slot regularly.

Advertisement
What tinman_96 said is exactly how a player like Yearby should be used and why he does not need excess weight that takes away from his lateral quickness. Solid first post.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back