Jim McElwain's first two recruiting classes more Al Golden..

Advertisement
Good find. One of the wezzies that's a UF fan was complaining about this very thing. Lots of reaches in this UF class with a few studs specifically the WRs. McElwain is a good coach but sounds like his recruiting is gonna be a real problem at UF.

Thank god golden is gone

He has had some shaky grabs by ranking, but his evaluations have mostly been excellent so far. Unlike someone like Golden, I'm confident that Mac will be able to develop talent and improve as a recruiter. Made a great hire already with Torrian Gray from VT, after Callahan didn't get it done.

didn't they flip that wideout that was committed to houston, cleveland i think his name was but outside of that they had a whatever class

Jim McElwain's first two recruiting classes more Al Golden than Urban Meyer

If you blindly compared what McElwain (30%) has done to the first two years of Fisher (41%), Meyer (59%), Muschamp (64%) and Golden (24%), the closest match is to Al Golden.

Mark Richt Yr 1 -> 11/18 or 61%, interesting that Tomahawk Nation didn't feel compelled to include that in their article.

Good article, interesting to see. Basically the 1st year of recruiting for any coach is bad, because the last coach got fired so the team probably sucks, and the new coach has about a month to put the class together.

It's really what you do in the 2nd year that defines you as a recruiter.

Article doesn't day what it defines as "Blue Chip", but it looks like it's taking 4 & 5 star rated players on Rivals. By that count Richt's 2016 recruiting class would be 7/18 - 39%

Advertisement
Looking forward to watching McElwain fall on his corn-colored teeth over the next couple of years.

Advertisement
Rivals is crap. 247 has us @ 10/7 or 58.8%

Why is 247 better than Rivals?

247 bought most of the rivals analysts and main team sites a few years ago. ESPN also bought alot of rivals analyts and their rankings are better now. Yahoo ran rivals into the ground.

But 247 actually has it as 7 4 stars and 10 3 stars.

247 has bethel, mulllins, and Finley as 3 stars, but they are 4 stars in the 247 composite (which averages the 4 different site rankings)

I actually like the way that ESPN ranks their kids. I think there were only 10 5* players this year. They give stars based on overall player score instead of a quota like Rivals. I think this more mirrors real evaluations. Like in the NFL, sometimes there aren't 32 players that are 1st rounders and sometimes there are 40 players that are 1st rounders. It just seems more honest.

247 bought most of the rivals analysts and main team sites a few years ago. ESPN also bought alot of rivals analyts and their rankings are better now. Yahoo ran rivals into the ground.

But 247 actually has it as 7 4 stars and 10 3 stars.

247 has bethel, mulllins, and Finley as 3 stars, but they are 4 stars in the 247 composite (which averages the 4 different site rankings)
image.jpg

Advertisement

I don't know who bought whom, but it looks to me like rivals just adds up the stars. A ton of 3* kids ranks better than a handful of 5*, which doesn't make sense to me. Sure, a class of 8 5* kids isn't good, but if you've met the basic needs and you've got high quality, your class should be ranked higher than 30 3* JAGs.

Great Article. Makes me look at recruiting differently now.

According to ESPN the National Championship teams, last 10 years, averages a top 6 recruiting class.

Great Article. Makes me look at recruiting differently now.

According to ESPN the National Championship teams, last 10 years, averages a top 6 recruiting class.

Good stat but 2 things in response:
Bama skews those numbers a bit.
I'm going to do some useless stat stuff by throwing out the best and worst. The numbers will still be around an average of a top 10 recruiting class.
Secondly, the CFB playoff will lower those numbers. We now have on field results to get to the NC game as opposed to the perceived two best teams on paper. FSU/Bama 2014 is a good example.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back