Jim Larrañaga | Media Availability | 7.31.19

I don't believe we could get Donovan ($$ the biggest stumbling block) but ... when the time comes, he should be the type of hire we pursue as strongly as possible. The last 30+ years have shown how difficult it is to recruit and consistently win at UM.

All that said, if we couldn't land a "name" hire like a Donovan, I'd go the opposite way. Hire a very young, charismatic guy like Brad Stevens turned out to be at Butler. No more "middle of the road" retread coaches, or career assistants.

Advertisement
Can anybody remember the last time we had 0 proven high major caliber front court players going into a season? Was it the 80s?
I could've sworn there was a season with Perry Clark at the helm where are frontcourt consisted of Gary Hamilton, Glenn Batemon, and some other borderline D2 talent.

But this is pretty bad, especially considering the front court guys we have that actually have some talent are either still recovering from injury (Gak) or have to sit out (Brooks).

I could've sworn there was a season with Perry Clark at the helm where are frontcourt consisted of Gary Hamilton, Glenn Batemon, and some other borderline D2 talent.

But this is pretty bad, especially considering the front court guys we have that actually have some talent are either still recovering from injury (Gak) or have to sit out (Brooks).

Gary Hamilton > Rodney Miller

Advertisement
It's August. You guys are insufferable.

Of course they are. But, this is the same thing throughout the Miami fanbase. This team was a tough out last year, with little to nothing in regards to available players. I fully expect this team to be on the bubble this year, if McGusty blossoms, then we won't have to sweat on selection Sunday. I would love to see L pick up another big, but I want a QUALITY guy, not just a guy.

Of course they are. But, this is the same thing throughout the Miami fanbase. This team was a tough out last year, with little to nothing in regards to available players. I fully expect this team to be on the bubble this year, if McGusty blossoms, then we won't have to sweat on selection Sunday. I would love to see L pick up another big, but I want a QUALITY guy, not just a guy.
Yet Coach L is choosing NOT to use the final 2 remaining scholarships, while using 2 scholarships on grad transfers that either have to sit out (Brooks - still no idea why we aren't applying for a waiver) or are recovering from a serious injury and won't be ready to play (Stone).

We are going into this season with the same roster management issues that have already plagued this program several times. That is coaching malpractice.

I don't believe we could get Donovan ($$ the biggest stumbling block) but ... when the time comes, he should be the type of hire we pursue as strongly as possible. The last 30+ years have shown how difficult it is to recruit and consistently win at UM.

All that said, if we couldn't land a "name" hire like a Donovan, I'd go the opposite way. Hire a very young, charismatic guy like Brad Stevens turned out to be at Butler. No more "middle of the road" retread coaches, or career assistants.

I know what you are thinking but you don't want to say it.

Advertisement
It's August. You guys are insufferable.

We continue to have little to nothing in regard to front court players.

Advertisement
Back