JHH Portal signs with SMU

Advertisement
Guess I'm the only one that doesn't think this is all that giant of a deal.

Like get CJ West and we are possibly net better given what Guidry wants to run tbh. Definitely better if we got Damonic Williams, though he looks locked to SEC.

Like I think JHH would be better if he went to Duke with Diaz where he could fill that Willis/McIntosh role nicely. But if we are going to be running a lot of 335 again, West is more important tbh.

And obviously we are going to be going for Barrow who is better. And we will see, hopefully some SEC DTs enter, that would give us a significant advantage

So when we dont get West/Barrow, then what?

He is a good, solid player. A loss for sure...pending who the team adds, of course.

However, some of yall need to relax. He's become a nice player, but chill on the overreaction. I thought his best trait was that he was an overaged player. He would have been what...24 or 25 this season. That's nice to have around, but he's more of a fringe starter, rotational guy to me.

Lets see what we get to replace it.
This response is dripping in Sugar Coating ...

Advertisement
🤣
All is well. We will just get better replacements, easily. Won’t be an issue at all. God bless you.
Didn’t say easily.

My point is a simple one though - I much rather rely on young guys at 3/5tech than NT. I’d trade JHH 100/100 times for a solid NT in the portal (that’s what I view JHH as - solid to good) That money JHH was trying to extort us for can now go to NT.

Now D$ said staff like Moten internally, so maybe he is the answer at NT. but I view that as far more important the JHH.

If we had to rock with Marley Cook, Josh Horton, the talented Freshman, Thomas Gore, and Anthony Campbell, I feel much better that it’d be at 3-5t. And with that group I view it as stronger there than last season (once you factor in Leonard Taylor literally played >50% of his snaps in A gap). And if we got a NT CJ Clark could play more 3/5t too. But as of now we are reliant on him and Moten standing up at NT

Just get best DT >310lbs that can play in A gap we can in portal and net Id view that as us coming out ahead. But to be clear I said I’d view adding JUST West as a net positive over JHH loss. Dont NEED barrow.

Then we get someone else.
who? Seems like the best replacements in the portal so far are "spoken for". there have been all kinds of hints and innuendo about guys hitting the portal that will be quality starters but so far that hasn't panned out for RB , other than Martinez. Pretty sure the expectation was for a few others to hit the portal but they haven't done so. I imagine it's the same line of thought for DT, etc.

Very risky move here. I understand the NIL situation/ramification but where does that leave you if you cannot replace the known entity you let go?

I don't feel this way about all the guys who have left but this one is a headscratcher...

Advertisement
Don’t know where he ends up, but fsu plans to pursue. Wonder if Syracuse becomes a player with him being from NY

who? Seems like the best replacements in the portal so far are "spoken for". there have been all kinds of hints and innuendo about guys hitting the portal that will be quality starters but so far that hasn't panned out for RB , other than Martinez. Pretty sure the expectation was for a few others to hit the portal but they haven't done so. I imagine it's the same line of thought for DT, etc.

Very risky move here. I understand the NIL situation/ramification but where does that leave you if you cannot replace the known entity you let go?

I don't feel this way about all the guys who have left but this one is a headscratcher...
Gaby just posted this with regard t0 DL portal recruiting:

There are tentative plans in place for Barrow to see Miami as soon as early next week, but the program is keeping an open ear and mind with the spring transfer portal window still open, meaning that new names can always emerge. The Hurricanes are diligently going through the process and staying patient while aggressively pursuing Barrow.

We've maintained that Miami has a seat at the table for the 6-foot-4, 290-pounder and that still appears to be the case. Texas and Florida State are a few more believed to be key players, but someone with knowledge of the recruitment stated that there are a ton of programs involved.
The market is the market and until new names pop in who move the needle break the surface, there is not much that anyone can do. The position is a top priority and Miami is an attractive option that is well-equipped with proper resources.

Sounds like the staff is working the one guy they are interested in and hoping for the best...

This is a huge loss ...

I don't know if I'd say "huge" loss but it is a pretty big loss. He was our best interior DL last year. And judging by the types of DTs we've gotten from the portal, it is not likely we'd get an upgrade (Clark is probably the exception).

Didn’t say easily.

My point is a simple one though - I much rather rely on young guys at 3/5tech than NT. I’d trade JHH 100/100 times for a solid NT in the portal (that’s what I view JHH as - solid to good) That money JHH was trying to extort us for can now go to NT.

Now D$ said staff like Moten internally, so maybe he is the answer at NT. but I view that as far more important the JHH.

If we had to rock with Marley Cook, Josh Horton, the talented Freshman, Thomas Gore, and Anthony Campbell, I feel much better that it’d be at 3-5t. And with that group I view it as stronger there than last season (once you factor in Leonard Taylor literally played >50% of his snaps in A gap). And if we got a NT CJ Clark could play more 3/5t too. But as of now we are reliant on him and Moten standing up at NT

Just get best DT >310lbs that can play in A gap we can in portal and net Id view that as us coming out ahead. But to be clear I said I’d view adding JUST West as a net positive over JHH loss. Dont NEED barrow.

You are really underestimating the position. You are good to rock with two sub 6' guys who get pushed around easily (Gore/Cook), a young DT who hasn't done anything but has potential (Horton) and a dude who is a total mystery (AC)??? As for the freshmen, they are at a big disadvantage by not being EEs. Plus, DT is probably the most difficult position to transition from HS. Lastly, it's supposedly a down year at DT in the portal, so there's that.

Advertisement
Anyone who is honest knows there's that JHH isn't a world beater. That's not the point. He's experienced, he's competent, he knows the DC after playing in his system.

Mesidor is better, sure, but he's an injury waiting to happen. He's never been consistently healthy.

The young guys are surely more athletically imposing. They may eventually be a higher level player. But right now? That's not something you rely on.

DLs are constantly picking up injuries that cause them to miss a game or two. It's the worst position for frequent injuries according to data.

Losing a high rotation/starting guy is damaging no matter how you slice it.

We weren't deep at the position, and are now in real trouble.

Here's how I would do it if I were GM.

JHH asks for more money? Give it to him. As of right now, he is a projected starter. Sure, I'm ****ed he is requiring more money than he's worth, and bc if that, ill go look for his replacement now. But worst case scenario, I got this backup plan secured for now.

Go check out the portal. Mind you, few options available, and a lot of teams. So getting a DT in the portal that's better than JHH would probably cost twice as much. But let's say you get the deal you want.

At that point, then tell JHH to kick rocks and free up the money to pay your new DT.

But telling him to kick rocks and hoping something else works out later in the portal is a risky move that I'm not comfortable with, personally.

Here's how I would do it if I were GM.

JHH asks for more money? Give it to him. As of right now, he is a projected starter. Sure, I'm ****ed he is requiring more money than he's worth, and bc if that, ill go look for his replacement now. But worst case scenario, I got this backup plan secured for now.

Go check out the portal. Mind you, few options available, and a lot of teams. So getting a DT in the portal that's better than JHH would probably cost twice as much. But let's say you get the deal you want.

At that point, then tell JHH to kick rocks and free up the money to pay your new DT.

But telling him to kick rocks and hoping something else works out later in the portal is a risky move that I'm not comfortable with, personally.
We don't have much choice.

Advertisement

Reading tea leaves it seems like this happens to us a lot.... Few years ago with the Zay Flowers and Xav Worthy rumors only for them to stay put. Then Pate talks on his show about how Miami is upgrading at the RB position when Parrish hit the portal , Martinez hits the portal, obviously a take but a lot of people insinuate thats not the guy Miami was keeping tabs on, then Omarion Hampton's name gets leaked, we have a thread on the board about him that gets nuked and a few days ago the Tarheel Collective announces new deals with Omarion to keep him in UNC.

Around the same time Pate then says portal madness is not at the level he initially thought and collectives have done a good job stopping tampering.

Seems like we read the wrong signals in the portal game when it comes to people who might enter. I am just shocked there isnt an SEC DT we can potentially be flirting with because if he hits the portal the bag game is reduced immediately since he cannot go to the SEC. Id prefer that than a bidding war with Texas and LSU over a Michigan State DT.

Exactly.

Bad for us, but I've gotta applaud this move by him. People won't say it, maybe they finally are as I haven't read past your post, but with what we've got the DL is a massive liability..

I talked about this not long ago. We'll be weak as **** in the middle of the field and people can talk about the edge (alright at best) all they want. Offenses will run them (DE's) up the field and dominate in the middle. I also said I don't believe we have the backers, at least not proven, to keep that from happening.

As for why I applaud this move for him, it's an intelligent one. He knows what he's got around him. It's now key that he goes somewhere where he has more help around him. Shine for a year and cash in come draft time. He was going in drafted here. He's not amazing, but he's better than he shows IMHO and that's due to a lack of support.

Not the news I wanted to hear.
Your description of our edge as alright undermines your credibility.

Advertisement
Back