JHH Portal signs with SMU

This is all about nil. He sees the deals these kids the last 2 years has got and he feels he should get something on par with them. Simply put, he shouldn't.
DT's are at a premium right now and pool is pretty thin as far experienced/semi-productive players go. He's been hedging on staying/going for a bit now so while it was absolutely crappy timing, it's not like this was out of left field.

Advertisement
I think he’s using our DT situation as leverage. I don’t blame him because we don’t have many options but he’s an average player that likely isn’t going to get a big offer in the portal. Would not be surprised to see him back if we don’t upgrade. It hurts more because of the position than the player.
Ours and everyone else's. There are a ton of programs looking for upgrades right now and he's probably top 5 available at the position the second he jumps in.

Biggest loss by far… outside of the young studs coming in who likely won’t be ready (nor should they be), our DT rotation is looking like the Tuesday Kegs N’ Legs shift at BTs….woof
He can be replaced with just an average tackle so I don't see how he's the biggest loss by far unless you think the rest of the kids leaving are hot garbage

tripping over a guy who took plays off all the time, go watch film, he wasnt good - he was good his 1st year playing for us he showed flashes and went downhill from there
Took plays off? Are we thinking of a different D-lineman? I don't think he was our most talented DT, but I thought he was our more consistent guys on the D-line. Yeah, he didn't make flashy plays every single snap, but he wasn't the one taking plays off.

I don't like this loss if it happens. I think it's going to hurt worse than Colbie or any other transfer so far if we cant get a quality replacement for him.

Honestly when I saw Barton that DT from MSU was scheduling a visit here is when I thought JHH was gunna be gone. I said it then it made no sense to go after him given his build if we had JHH…

Also I think yall are really over rating the impact JHH had. He was mostly projection, because he had a good Bowl game. He was pretty much irrelevant most of the season as a whole though. He had 11 solo tackles and 3 tfls. Those are the same stats as Leonard Taylor who people are saying wasn’t good this year and Taylor did that while being forced to play in the A gap literally >50% of the time last year, way out of position…

I think it’ll be a challenge replacing him due to the positional scarcity… but I still think getting a true NT is more important. I think given JHHs build and skill he’s a pure 3/5tech. We have guys that can do that. And I’d much rather have to rely on a guy like Horton or the freshman there then as a true NT…

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
How big of a bag is he getting? Everyone desperate for DT’s in the portal

Last edited:
Advertisement
What did Tina Turner say?...
Hit Me GIF

Btw Gary says that there is no DT which we currently are "winning on" in the portal at the moment but "one might enter this week".

Also said that JHH probably leaves regardless in response to someone asking if the staff would let him go without a backup plan in place

Oh and seems gary think Campbell stays and he has been productive and has been getting stronger and bigger every day. TTFWIW

He can be replaced with just an average tackle so I don't see how he's the biggest loss by far unless you think the rest of the kids leaving are hot garbage
They are aside from Colbie Young and *maybe* Kelly if he ever has a healthy season.

It also comes down to position of need. Our current roster DTs are straight basura.

I’m not upset about losing JHH on a strict talent level, but I’m upset at losing the value he provided at a specific position on our roster.

Advertisement
Back