Jerome Washington in home

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
TE Jerome Washington, a Hurricane commitment, got an in-home visit from coaches Al Golden and James Coley on Tuesday.

"They came to my house in Elizabeth at around 9:45 in the morning, we sat down and talked," Washington said. "It was me, my mom, my grandmother and my trainer who has been training me a couple of years.

"They were here 45 minutes, then they went to go talk to my dad at work in Newark. Coach Golden, he was saying how excited he is to have me come to the school, asked me a lot about my story, how I wasn't really getting looked at by colleges prior to this year, wanted to know a lot more about where I come from."

Washington says his family didn't have many questions for the coaches "because they answered them all for us during my official visit."

Washington says Coley "was saying he definitely likes the way I play, thinks I can really help out the team. He was just saying he wants me to come in and play hard."

Washington attended Mercer County Community College this past semester even though he was fully qualified - he wasn't recruited out of high school and got notice playing for a club team.

He says his understanding is he'll arrive at Miami next month as a redshirt freshman.

With Clive Walford leaving UM, Washington says he hopes for an immediate role.

"Coaches said they want me to come in and compete, coach Golden saw that I'm in really good shape right now," Washington said. "He said after I sign (Dec. 17) he wants me to start learning some of the plays so it'll be a lot easier when I actually get to school."

Washington says he will report to Miami Jan. 7.

Does he still pinch himself that he's a Cane?

"Now not as much," he said. "But before the Miami visit I sort of did. then once I went on the visit it was kind of like the reality of it, yeah, I'm going to school finally."

Advertisement
I will tell you this is the first year golden has been completely free of any ncaa cloud or whatever you want to call it, and i can tell him and the staff recruit like not many i have seen before hope it translates on the field soon

I will tell you this is the first year golden has been completely free of any ncaa cloud or whatever you want to call it, and i can tell him and the staff recruit like not many i have seen before hope it translates on the field soon

Don't take the bait, he always does really well early December because real coaches are trying to win championships, once the big boys are free to come down here, Al gets treated in a game day type way

If he could only coach

:stephenahand:

Advertisement
I obviously know it isnt the popular but will see what golden is made of first offical year of recruiting after cloud , had a lousy 6-6 season he and the staff have alot of work to do

Don't take the bait, he always does really well early December because real coaches are trying to win championships, once the big boys are free to come down here, Al gets treated in a game day type way

This.

This.

Agreed. underrated post. It's easy to be the best looking car in a lot of scrap metal, but once the bugattis come out these kids change their tune

Advertisement
I obviously know it isnt the popular but will see what golden is made of first offical year of recruiting after cloud , had a lousy 6-6 season he and the staff have alot of work to do

I note you recently joined. Assuming you are not actually Al pumping yourself up, the cloud was Al's best friend. It cloaked his horrible coaching and defective recruiting. Granted, he recruits better than he coaches but that is not saying much at all. IF Al could coach, then he might be a good recruiter but he can't so he isn't. Working hard at something is an wonderful thing but not the same as being good at it. Al likes kids like him --- limited talent and hard working. THE U was built on kids kids who out worked everyone BUT they started as extremely talented kids, like Duke. Al seems to prefer a kid who works really hard to be able to run a 4.8 to a kids who can roll out of bed and throw down a 4.4 without warm up. You can admire those hard working kids all you want. Heck, teams full of them even beat our old Canes once in a while(when we didn't take them seriously). But when you live and work in the land of plenty, why the heck would you just eat potatoes.

Al likes kids like him --- limited talent and hard working.
People forget this. And it's not just an Al Golden mentality, it's the Pedo State/Joe Pa mentality coming out in him. PSU always had some good ballplayers, but mostly--they were blue-collar type of kids that could only make plays within the system as it was taught to them.

Yes--you want hard-working kids, but those hard-working kids need to have a really great talent base as well, if you're building an elite level team. You can't just take a hard-worker and make him an elite level player. Hard workers probably did well for him at Temple, UVA, BC, and other stops he had along the way...but the bar is simply much higher at Miami than it is at those other places.

Great point.

Al likes kids like him --- limited talent and hard working.
People forget this. And it's not just an Al Golden mentality, it's the Pedo State/Joe Pa mentality coming out in him. PSU always had some good ballplayers, but mostly--they were blue-collar type of kids that could only make plays within the system as it was taught to them.

Yes--you want hard-working kids, but those hard-working kids need to have a really great talent base as well, if you're building an elite level team. You can't just take a hard-worker and make him an elite level player. Hard workers probably did well for him at Temple, UVA, BC, and other stops he had along the way...but the bar is simply much higher at Miami than it is at those other places.

Great point.

Al likes the super talented kids more he just can't ******* land them at a high enough rate so then he turns to the hard working kids.

I think AG wants kids he KNOWS he can close. Not really the type that will want to "fight" for commits.

I mean, when you look at the bulk of the roster, it's actually made up of players who weren't hard to close, for the most part. It's as if he's more interested in getting "Easy" commits rather than the highly sought after kids. I understand how it could have been an issue under the cloud, but that issue is long gone now. He should be willing to go toe to toe with any school for any commit... and I'm just not seeing that from him.

Advertisement
I have to disagree 100% i think golden loves to battle but it wont be popular to say it, if i was boosting golden i would say he is great on the field also which i have not said, compared to others who are notable recruiters i would rank golden right up there with the best imo fwiw, but everyone jas and opinion so its always good to hear the other side

Advertisement
Back