2025 Jarquez Carter 4* DT from Newberry, FL commits to OSU

Carter seems like the kid they want. I’m sure they will flip someone else. Carter has an incredible first step and should be a 4 star prospect. Who knows who they will flip. Then portal others. Seems like the strategy. Epenosa is listed as an edge for good reason but he’s already 270 and could rush inside. Or grow into a DT. But Carter is my guy this cycle. Very underrated

Advertisement
Carter seems like the kid they want. I’m sure they will flip someone else. Carter has an incredible first step and should be a 4 star prospect. Who knows who they will flip. Then portal others. Seems like the strategy. Epenosa is listed as an edge for good reason but he’s already 270 and could rush inside. Or grow into a DT. But Carter is my guy this cycle. Very underrated
Production, offers and measurables (in that order) mean more to me than stars. This kid is a take all day.

Advertisement
DT is weird this year.

+ Miami loaded up last year and took three ready to play guys (Scott, Blount, and Jones)
+ Miami isn’t really in it for any player of that caliber this cycle. The guys they’re after now are basically depth pieces.
+ Miami is really pushing hard for a few 2026 guys.

Like RB, this could be a class that has very few DT’s in it (if any)

Advertisement
DT is weird this year.

+ Miami loaded up last year and took three ready to play guys (Scott, Blount, and Jones)
+ Miami isn’t really in it for any player of that caliber this cycle. The guys they’re after now are basically depth pieces.

Those 3 aren’t ready to play. Jones and Blount will probably rs

Advertisement
DT is weird this year.

Nice players but none of these kids are anything crazy, although they all still have there senior years to take the next step.

Those 3 aren’t ready to play. Jones and Blount will probably rs

I think it's Scott who RSs, because I see Jones physically more durable right now. But agree with your metapoint.

DT is weird this year.

I feel like Carter will be a good one. Hope he is in this class. Can't get a proper read on Boucard, but he's being recruited by a lot of big fish.

Advertisement
After a haul like last season we should not expect UM to put a great deal of NIL investment into DTackle this season.

What it looks like to me is that UM is identifying positions of national strength in recruiting, and comparing that to positions of needs on the team. When the 2 align, Francis and Samson 2 years ago and Dline last season, UM goes all in. This season I would argue UM has need and believes their is recruiting depth at DB and WR, and is targeting those 2 positions.

The basic point being when you see a great return at a position in a recruiting cycle, do not expect the same return at the same position the following recruiting cycle. It is more like drafting players than recruiting players. If a team spends a lot of draft capital in season 1, they are very unlikely to spend similar draft capital in season 2.

I would add that this strategy makes a lot of sense IMO.

After a haul like last season we should not expect UM to put a great deal of NIL investment into DTackle this season.

What it looks like to me is that UM is identifying positions of national strength in recruiting, and comparing that to positions of needs on the team. When the 2 align, Francis and Samson 2 years ago and Dline last season, UM goes all in. This season I would argue UM has need and believes their is recruiting depth at DB and WR, and is targeting those 2 positions.

The basic point being when you see a great return at a position in a recruiting cycle, do not expect the same return at the same position the following recruiting cycle. It is more like drafting players than recruiting players. If a team spends a lot of draft capital in season 1, they are very unlikely to spend similar draft capital in season 2.

I would add that this strategy makes a lot of sense IMO.
Your post makes sense to me. However, my only question about this strategy is would we still end up with an uneven roster? It may not be uneven talent wise, but it’s uneven with experience wise. So by the time the entire roster is ready, Francis and Samson Juniors or Seniors.

Also, if we have a good DL class one year, skip the next year and then the following year attack it again wouldn’t you potentially risk having a drop off in talent?

I don’t think this how the top programs (Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, etc.) recruit.

Advertisement
Back