Ja'Quan Newton Update

freespirted305

Freshman
Per Link we made his Top 6:

http://www.stateoftheu.com/basketba...kes-final-6-for-top-point-guard-jaquan-newton

What is significant is this came out after Villanova accepted the commitment of Phil Booth. Villanova would have been his choice as I am friends with a coach on staff at Neumann Goretti. However, Villanova only had room for one of Newton, Booth or Robert Johnson left in its guard class. Moreover, with Temple not being on his list, the only two schools JaQuan is seriously considering are Miami and Syracuse. Both have been on him for a while however Miami has been consistently on him while Syracuse has been hot and cold. The 'Cuse even were cut from his list in the past. My coaching friend thinks Miami is the likely pick at the moment and Newton is a big time penetrating guard. I will continue to update the board if I hear more.

Advertisement
I like the way recruiting has shaped up the last few days. Hopefully we can actually close now.

For what it's worth, Syracuse has gotten a couple of players from that school in the past - Scoop Jardine and Rick Jackson, I believe -so their coaches have a relationship with the staff. Accordingly, Davon Reed and Newton were AAU teammates with Team Final.

Joshdacane you are correct and the Cuse also got Dion Waiters from Neumann as well but they lost contact when Tyler Ennis committed last year for a period. Right now JaQuan's time table is to finish the summer AAU circuit then talk to the schools he is considering one last time and maybe take a visit or two before committing in the Fall. Unless something changes between now and then its our canes leading with Cuse as a darkhorse for him.

Joshdacane you are correct and the Cuse also got Dion Waiters from Neumann as well but they lost contact when Tyler Ennis committed last year for a period. Right now JaQuan's time table is to finish the summer AAU circuit then talk to the schools he is considering one last time and maybe take a visit or two before committing in the Fall. Unless something changes between now and then its our canes leading with Cuse as a darkhorse for him.

Didn't realize that's where Waiters was from too. I also understand from another article that Cuse hasn't officially offered because they're waiting on Kaleb Joseph, who cut his list to three and is considered to have them in the lead. I think it looks surprisingly good for us, but I've had the football pulled away too many times so to speak to get THAT hyped up right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back