James talks COVID issues and scheduling in Wed. presser

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes Athletic Director Blake James held a media presser today to further address the COVID-19 issues within the football team that have led to a postponement of the Canes’ next two games.

“The first thing I would say, I don’t think it has come from football activity. I do think it has come from outside,” James said. “I’m guessing there’s been some transmission from one (player) to another. We’re reflective of society - where the numbers are at on campus, I’m not completely surprised.”

James also attributed the breakout potentially to what he called “COVID fatigue", in which some may have tired of the strict protocols imposed due to the virus.

“Eight months in, it’s hard for all of us,” James said. “Maybe (players) have gotten a little more lax than what they were back in March, April, May, June, July when we saw our numbers stay down low. We’re part of society, the community, and we’re seeing a lot of community transmission right now.”

James was asked about what would happen if Miami is cleared to play in two weeks, but one of their upcoming opponents has COVID issues of their own. Could the game be replaced with another ACC opponent?

“Everything is on the table, it would be real challenging (to say) right now,” James said. “The benefit is we’re eight games in. There’s not a lot of teams left in the league we haven’t played… It would take being able to really get the stars to align to figure out putting that whole thing together. Would the league look at possible opponents for us to still play? I don’t think something like that would be very likely to happen.”

Advertisement
Syracuse and Duke are the only teams besides Notre Dame we don't already have scheduled.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back