James Morgan 2015 QB as possible UM Option for 2015 Class

Paranos

All-ACC
24/7 says Miami could be looking at QB James Morgan.

From Green Bay Wisconsin. 2015 kid

Committed to ...wait for it..... Bowling Green. Offers from Ball State, Central Mich, Eastern Mich, and North Dakota State.

Watched his senior highlights. Kid has great touch on the deep ball, and can really deliver the ball, quickly, at different angles. What I also like about him, is that he can actually RUN! No, he doesn't have the cannon of an arm, but he's scholarship worthy, for sure.

View attachment 28250

Morgan has all the makings of becoming the state's first BCS scholarship quarterback in quite some time, with good size, arm, accuracy, athletic ability. He shows very good poise in the pocket, awareness of what is going on downfield, and touch on his passes. He is garnering interest from top-level programs from across the country and is ranked in the top 250 in the class of 2015 by most recruiting services. Morgan threw for 2540 yards and 26 touchdowns last year as the FRCC Offensive Player of the Year, earning WFCA Honorable Mention All-State recognition as well.

[video=youtube;RGWIkfu-UaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWIkfu-UaE[/video]

Advertisement
Bowling green and FIU

**** our lives

Before you look at who he has offers from watch his film. FSU's backup had 1 other offer, from Buffalo, yet they got him and beat Clemson with him this year. It's either this guy or have 3 QBs on the roster. His composite rating is better than Lawson's anyway.

Great points. I didnt even compare his rankings to Lawson. But yeah, this kid is actually good on film. I couldnt find his 2014 numbers, but last year he had 26 TDS to 8 Ints/ Not bad at all.

Here are his Senior Year stats and Combined career stats
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2014/10/02/high-expectations-fire-drive-jaguars-morgan/16615847/

The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder has completed 60 percent of his passes for 1,808 yards and 19 touchdowns with four interceptions this season. According to Wissports.net, he leads the state in passing yards and is tied for the lead in TD passes.

Morgan, who is 20-4 as a starter, has thrown for 5,891 yards and 55 TDs with 21 interceptions in his prep career. He averages 255.8 passing yards per game and has a 4-to-1 ratio for touchdowns to interceptions during his junior and senior seasons.

He is smart with the ball, but will definitely have to adjust to a faster game in College with much tighter throwing windows.
Go Canes

Here is a breakdown of BGSU's QB situation, Miami's QB depth chart is more favorable moving forward.
http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2014/9/3/6102275/meet-james-knapke

Meet James Knapke, the New Bowling Green Falcons Starting Quarterback
By Paul Duncan on Sep 3 2014

With Matt Johnson out lets take a look at James Knapke and the other QBs for BGSU.

The Bowling Green Falcons' season has gotten off to a rough start. First running back William Houston is dismissed from the team, then Chris Gallon gets hurt again. On Friday, in the season-opener, BGSU got stunned 59-31 on the road at Western Kentucky. And to top it all off, on Wednesday head coach Dino Babers announced that starting quarterback Matt Johnson is likely done for the season after suffering a hip injury in the WKU game.

With Johnson out for the year, the offense now rests on the shoulders of James Knapke, who becomes the new starting quarterback for Bowling Green's high-powered offense. Who is this new BG starter? Let's take a look:

Knapke is a redshirt sophomore out of Fort Wayne, Indiana, measuring in at 6 foot 2 and 220 pounds. The only college playing experience Knapke has, has occurred in garbage time. His total stat line for the 2013 season was 4-for-10 with 71 yards and a touchdown. All of his completions happened at the Murray State game where he was a perfect 4-for-4.

Knapke had a decorated high school career highlighted by being the only quarterback in the state of Indiana's history to win three state championships. He was First Team All-State as a senior, and owns school and conference records for both passing yards and passing TDs. Knapke was recruited to BGSU by former head coach Dave Clawson. Knapke was a 3-star quarterback in the class of 2012, and considered a Top 60 pro-style quarterback by 247Sports. In this old interview with Clawson, the former Falcons coach said that he "felt more than anything, that James was a winner." Clawson also praised Knapke's character, work ethic and morals.

After watching his high school highlight clips the first thing that jumps out at you is his howitzer arm. Knapke was chucking balls down field with good accuracy as a teenager. He also showed a little mobility on option plays and had more of a power running style. He's got size, a good arm, and knows how to win; all the tools he needs to make plays, but it remains to be seen if he can run Babers' offense, which if brand new to this team.

While Knapke is the starter for now, he's not the only talented option BGSU has at quarterback. Should Knapke falter, here are some fo the other options available (and one that isn't, but is worth mentioning):
Other QBs on the roster:

Cody Callaway was announced to be backup behind Knapke today. Callaway was a two sport star who was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 34th round of the MLB Draft this summer. Callaway is smaller than Knapke but also has a powerful arm. He's more of a pure pocket passer, and actually may be better suited to run Babers offense in the long term.

Nolan Dieter is a slender dual-threat quarterback, and yes, he's the brother of Gehrig Dieter. Nolan doesn't have the arm strength of Knapke or Callaway but is far more elusive, and adds another element to the Falcons' offense should he be under center.

Clayton Nicholas is another pro style quarterback with good fundamentals, and someone BGSU fans have asked a lot about since hearing about Johnson's injury. A redshirt sophomore, and a former 3-star pro-style quarterback out of Abilene, Texas, and was considered a Top 25 pro-style quarterback in the class of 2012. He transferred from Texas Tech over the winter, so while fans are anxious to see him, he is not eligible to play this year.

Last night in the Raycom Camelia Bowl BGSU vs South BAMA, Knapke put on a QB clinic that will make the QB battle for the next few years at BGSU very competitive so Morgan is all but assured of having to Redshirt in 2015 then sit for 2016 anyway. So if your going sit an wait for your shot at starting then Miami would offer a much better option and quantum upgrade in supporting cast an exposure over BGSU.

ESPN Recap
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=400610201

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for all the updates Paranos! I'm from Wisconsin and I cannot believe they never offered this kid. Probably the best QB to come out of the state in quite some time. Even Justin Sinz, who took Edgar to state as a SR ended up being a starting TE at Purdue. I know from reading up on it that Gary Anderson upset a lot of people around the program with how he recruited in-state. He did a great job of landing the kids they offered but with the few D1 prospects they do get, he didn't offer enough kids. From my understanding it was a mutual split since his philosophy didn't match Alvarez' and GA had a huge problem with their admissions that cost him some big-time studs and Alvarez' refused to budge on the standards. But now that GA is out and Paul Chryst is in, it will be interesting.

The point of that explanation though, is that Austin Kafentzis is seemingly locked in with Wisconsin regardless of the coach and he is also an EE. So we will know very soon what happens with Morgan. If AK isn't feeling Paul Chryst or doesn't feel wanted, then I'm sure Morgan will be on the short list as AK will probably flip to Oregon St. The main thing is that GA liked dual-threat guys (AK) where Chryst is a pro-style guy that likes mobile QB's so Morgan would be a great fit. Plus their QB situation is pure garbage and with a new coach they would be absolute idiots not to take both AK and Morgan if they can imo.

Tayt21,

Thanks for the Wisconsin instate 411 on Morgan. There was another thread started about Morgan but it started going left and with something as important as UM's 2015 class QB opening, this thread needed to stay on topic.

I was wondering if Chryst would make a run Morgan now the Anderson had left. But the more important question is would Morgan pick Miami over Wisconsin if both were to offer. Based on Morgan's elite 11 interview it seems like he has aspirations of leaving Wisconsin to play on a bigger stage, since he mentioned Stanford being a school he cheered for growing up. But I would imagine the lore of playing for the home team would be strong.

Go Canes

Tayt21,

Thanks for the Wisconsin instate 411 on Morgan. There was another thread started about Morgan but it started going left and with something as important as UM's 2015 class QB opening, this thread needed to stay on topic.

I was wondering if Chryst would make a run Morgan now the Anderson had left. But the more important question is would Morgan pick Miami over Wisconsin if both were to offer. Based on Morgan's elite 11 interview it seems like he has aspirations of leaving Wisconsin to play on a bigger stage, since he mentioned Stanford being a school he cheered for growing up. But I would imagine the lore of playing for the home team would be strong.

Go Canes

Yeah that's the real question! He could feel disrespected if they just now offered him, but he can't hold that against Chryst since he just got there, especially if AK leaves. But if AK left and they offered and so did we, it would be REAL interesting!

Well Wisconsin is out they just Flipped Hadden Mahoney's team mate who was cmmitted to Pitt but will now play QB for Wisconsin. So Morgan would still be in play for the QB spot in the 2015 class.

Go Canes

Advertisement
247 Ranks him as the #10 Pro style QB in the class. I would prefer they get a State of Miami QB instead, Stanley or Parr. Nothing against Morgan though.

Parr I believe is an early enrollee for FAU so that takes him off table. They've already started classes this week I believe

Well Wisconsin is out they just Flipped Hadden Mahoney's team mate who was cmmitted to Pitt but will now play QB for Wisconsin. So Morgan would still be in play for the QB spot in the 2015 class. Go Canes
I would have nothing against getting this kid in. We love our pro-style qbs and in the worst case scenario he can be a serviceable back up for several years, best case would allows us to redshirt our stud in 2016, assuming he stays on board.

Advertisement
Back