James Lankford - Kicker

SFbayCane

All American
For those that remember my posts on Canestime premium recruiting board about this kid, he was my neighbor and a friend of my son. The kid was an incredible high school kicker but for some reason he was not getting any offers from BCS level schools. I knew the kid was looking for a BCS offer, I forwarded this kid's name to Randy (thru OCF). I got a message back saying that "Randy says he's got the kicker position taken care of" (at the time Matt Goudis had agreed to walk on).

I was a huge fan of James Lankford. I would see this kid practicing on campus and would hit 50 yard field goals, effortlessly. He also hit some very clutch kicks at the high school level. I saw him hit a 37 yarder to win a nationally televised game. And perhaps most impressively, in the east bay versus Sacramento HS all-star game, James Lankford hit a 57 yard field goal in the final minute to tie the game at 6-6. It was an icy-dold, rainy day with really heavy air. Lankford hits a 57 yarder with 7 yards to spare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pskPk-od4yQ

Anyway, he ended up at Cal Poly where he split time with a senior when he was a true freshman and won the job outright as a true sophomore. He has decided to leave his scholarship at Cal Poly to walk on at Cal. The kid wants to get seen. IMO this kid shoulda been the heir apparent to Wieclaw. Yet another Randy mishap.

Article on the kid transfering to Cal: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2012/1/10/2697869/bears-get-transfer-kicker

From the article:

Langford had also been honored for making all his high-pressure kicks, including a 50-yard field goal to give Cal Poly the lead at Montana, a 38-yard kick in overtime to tie against Eastern Washington, and 39-yard game winning field goal with less than a minute left against South Dakota to give Cal Poly the Great West league championship.

Advertisement
i hated shantard as much as the next guy........but writing goudis off already seems a bit retarded......no?

In other news, Michael Palardy, who was the undisputed #1 kicker and everyone wanted, is sucking *** at Tennessee right now and is in danger of losing his job.

wieclaw is actually one of Shannon's better recruits

along with Sean Spence, recruiting Jimmy Graham...

Advertisement
i hated shantard as much as the next guy........but writing goudis off already seems a bit retarded......no?

I guess I tend to draw a parallel between goudis and james lankford, mainly because of the personal connection. That said, I saw James Lankford as a cant miss kid (huge leg, clutch performer, good sized kid for a kicker).

Palardy was a can't miss guy either. He was hitting on a whopping 50% of his FG this spring.

He wasnt a cant miss in my eyes. James Lankford was. James Lankford is putting together a nice college career as a kicker. Check out his stats in 1.5 years at Cal Poly. Watch what he does at Cal in 2013 and 2014.

Advertisement
Well then maybe we should hire you as the kicking recruiting coordinator. This thread is stupid. Goudis was one of the top kickers in the country. Wieclaw has been very good. You wanna ***** about something, ***** about not picking up a punter and forcing Bosher to do everything. This is nothing more than a "look at me thread".

Lol.... Guys were talking like Wieclaw should have his scholly pulled 18 months ago. This amuses me.

I'll pass we Weiclaw this year and Goudis and a couple of walk-on for next year.

Plus how did he do in Cal Poly?

and why does he have to walk-on to Cal?

I think SFBay means Hopfinger. He walked on under Randy. Goudis was brought in under Golden, he was committed to Michigan before Al flipped him.

Advertisement
Isn't there a guy at btw that can kick.... Best ever or something like that.... Maybe central now....

Advertisement
Wait a minute....the kid is leaving Cal Tech? Isn't that kinda like transferring out of MIT or Harvard to go to regular school? Or has Cal Tech been vastly oversold to me?

No one, and I mean NO ONE leaves CalTech unless you can't made the grades, or you wake up to find urass on backwards.

Same same at MIT. Stanford.

I think SFBay means Hopfinger. He walked on under Randy. Goudis was brought in under Golden, he was committed to Michigan before Al flipped him.

thanks for the clarification. I remember when OCF sent me that replay he seemed kind of mystified because the kid Randy had coming in was the backup kicker in HS. It was strange that Randy wouldnt even want to take a look at James Lankford.

And as noted by CowboyCane, Cal poly is NOT Cal-Tech. Cal Poly is part of the Cal State University system, so a transfer to Cal (part of the UC system) would be considered a step UP in academic standing.

BTW - for those that did not read the attached article, James Lankford has been extremely solid in two seasons at Cal Poly, who was the #8 ranked FCS team last season. He also made the honor roll at Cal Poly.

Advertisement
Back