Jackson State Game 1

I understand that it's his bullpen day. I just did a cursory scan of teams and I found zero instances of the Friday starter pitching on Tuesday, let alone a kid who threw more than 120 pitches.

It's quite uncommon to actually appear in games.

I agree that after 120 pitches and this early wasn’t very smart. And it probably is uncommon for major D1 schools who have larger pitching staffs and more front end talent. I played juco and small D1 and Wednesday more often than not was our staff day if we were playing someone good. I started on Sundays and started Wednesday’s or Thursday’s going 1-2 innings depending on pitch count and Sunday’s pitch count. Granted I never went over 100 on sundays, but it was very common in almost every team we played unless we had a full midweek series

Advertisement
I understand that it's his bullpen day. I just did a cursory scan of teams and I found zero instances of the Friday starter pitching on Tuesday, let alone a kid who threw more than 120 pitches.

It's quite uncommon to actually appear in games.
I could see pitching him 1 inning, not 4.

I agree that after 120 pitches and this early wasn’t very smart. And it probably is uncommon for major D1 schools who have larger pitching staffs and more front end talent. I played juco and small D1 and Wednesday more often than not was our staff day if we were playing someone good. I started on Sundays and started Wednesday’s or Thursday’s going 1-2 innings depending on pitch count and Sunday’s pitch count. Granted I never went over 100 on sundays, but it was very common in almost every team we played unless we had a full midweek series

It's great to have your experience on the board. To pitch in a weekend rotation in college you have to be pretty good so props to you.

Sunday guy you do see more often, for sure.

It's great to have your experience on the board. To pitch in a weekend rotation in college you have to be pretty good so props to you.

Sunday guy you do see more often, for sure.

Hahaha thanks man but no need I wasn’t that good. Just speaking on my personal experience. Great to have you on here too. We were missing a real baseball guy.

Advertisement
Jackson State threw their ace in the 1st inning after he threw 120+ pitches on Friday. He pitched 7 1/3 against Alabama A & M and took the loss due to unearned runs. It’s pretty crazy that they threw him out there like that.

They played that game like it was game 7. I appreciated that the Canes grinder out a game like that and had their bullpen pitch the whole game.

Now that Jackson State has thrown they have everything they had out there, I’d like to see Miami put a 14-2 type win on them tomorrow though.

I don't want to be the downer after such an impressive grinding win, but that Jackson State "ace" got hit by Boston College, Alabama A&M, and......Stillman College. Let's not act as though it was Manhattan with Chris Cody on the mound just because Jackson State calls him their ace. Nik Galatas is just another guy.

Why are we having a mid week series? Do we do this every year? I don't recall these in the past.

Why are we having a mid week series? Do we do this every year? I don't recall these in the past.

I was wondering the same thing, I get a single game but two, IMO, increases the chances of getting knocked off and a loss like that could come back to bite you in the RPI.

I was wondering the same thing, I get a single game but two, IMO, increases the chances of getting knocked off and a loss like that could come back to bite you in the RPI.

It is inevitable since they have to fit 56 games into 14 weekends/ 13 weeks, and they don't play any midweek games during finals or during the last ACC week when the series starts on Thursday. No other way around it.

Advertisement
This is the fifth time since 2013 they have scheduled two mid-week games three times or more in a season. Seems to be a pretty common theme.

Last year they didn't schedule any (unless you count the Marlins exhibition game), which probably sticks out more. Only two in 2017. Every other year since 2012 they have scheduled two mid-week games three times in that season. I stopped counting there.

Advertisement
Back