It comes down to this

AK_Cane

Junior
Premium
Listen, I knew FSU defense would play us 10x better do to the fact Kaaya is a sitting duck. You want to know what Louisville, USF, and UNc have in common? A quarterback that can actually move. In college football today there comes to a point where you need a quarterback that can get out of trouble every once in a while. Am I saying you need a QB who can run like Lamar Jackson? No, but when you have a QB who runs a 7 flat it gives defenses options. You can play more man and have the dline pin their ears back and not worryry about gap integrity too much without hesitation. Kaaya is just a sitting duck who cannot outrun anyone on the field. When you have someone who can move even just a little they are forced to hold their gaps and play a little more zone or spy which opens some other things up. With that said Kaaya is a good QB and could do well in the NFL behind the right oline but, in college when you don't have all Americans for an oline you need someone who can extend the play every once in a while. Bring me N'kosi

Advertisement
I posted this in another thread but it's in tune with your post.

"My main struggle in his playcalling is the RPO. The RPO doesn't work with an immobile QB like Brad Kaaya, it only works if the defense needs to key on the RB,WR and most importantly the QB. With an Immobile QB if the Corners do their job on defense the Pass option gets taken away and the DL and LB's in the box crash the RB because there is no run threat by the QB. Not sure why that is our main focus especially with Kaaya."

Kayaa is really beyond a sitting duck it's astounding how he literally has no mobility. It's impossible to run bootlegs and roll outs with him.

Advertisement
Listen, I knew FSU defense would play us 10x better do to the fact Kaaya is a sitting duck. You want to know what Louisville, USF, and UNc have in common? A quarterback that can actually move. In college football today there comes to a point where you need a quarterback that can get out of trouble every once in a while. Am I saying you need a QB who can run like Lamar Jackson? No, but when you have a QB who runs a 7 flat it gives defenses options. You can play more man and have the dline pin their ears back and not worryry about gap integrity too much without hesitation. Kaaya is just a sitting duck who cannot outrun anyone on the field. When you have someone who can move even just a little they are forced to hold their gaps and play a little more zone or spy which opens some other things up. With that said Kaaya is a good QB and could do well in the NFL behind the right oline but, in college when you don't have all Americans for an oline you need someone who can extend the play every once in a while. Bring me N'kosi

Solid, often overlooked, if not underestimated, point.

But they don't develop in the NFL where everyone can run. None of Alabamas past championship quarterbacks can run

Advertisement

While there is truth in your post it completely ignores that the problem was bigger than Kaaya and his immobility. We still should have won with a statue QB by double digits last night if there was some sort of semblance of a gameplan. First as stated by another poster, why even run the RPO with a QB like Kaaya against the athletes FSU has? It makes no sense. Second, that FSU defense is filled with elite athletes but they have weaknesses and those weaknesses weren't exposed at all. FSU has been exposed in the middle of the field on crossing routes and such, and we did none of that. Not only that but their LBs are suspect in coverage and we have 2 athletic TEs in Njoku and Herndon, and they weren't even part of the gameplan. Its ridiculous really and its what cost us the game. Instead we attacked them in areas they actually are fairly stout. No underneath stuff which has confused the living **** out of their secondary and LBs, while possibly stretching them in the seams with our athletic TEs. Everybody wants to blame Kaaya, because, well Kaaya will be gone soon, but nobody wants to put blame on the real problem, because that one isn't going away and has just got here and that is Richt. Mark Richt got out schemed by FSU's version of Dorito and that is scary **** right there....

i agree, herbstreit even mentioned it last night how the fsu dlinemen were crashing down on the runing backs like maniacs because they knew kaaya wasnt a threat to run it at all

Advertisement

While there is truth in your post it completely ignores that the problem was bigger than Kaaya and his immobility. We still should have won with a statue QB by double digits last night if there was some sort of semblance of a gameplan. First as stated by another poster, why even run the RPO with a QB like Kaaya against the athletes FSU has? It makes no sense. Second, that FSU defense is filled with elite athletes but they have weaknesses and those weaknesses weren't exposed at all. FSU has been exposed in the middle of the field on crossing routes and such, and we did none of that. Not only that but their LBs are suspect in coverage and we have 2 athletic TEs in Njoku and Herndon, and they weren't even part of the gameplan. Its ridiculous really and its what cost us the game. Instead we attacked them in areas they actually are fairly stout. No underneath stuff which has confused the living **** out of their secondary and LBs, while possibly stretching them in the seams with our athletic TEs. Everybody wants to blame Kaaya, because, well Kaaya will be gone soon, but nobody wants to put blame on the real problem, because that one isn't going away and has just got here and that is Richt. Mark Richt got out schemed by FSU's version of Dorito and that is scary **** right there....

You are somewhat correct we have won with statues (who had pocket presence) you can be slow and still navigate the pocket

But they don't develop in the NFL where everyone can run. None of Alabamas past championship quarterbacks can run

It's not about running. Its simple stuff like moving up in the pocket or sliding to avoid a rusher that Kaaya struggles horribly with. Guys like Brady and Manning aren't fast at all but they are great at moving around in pocket and finding different lanes to threw.

Advertisement
Back