Is if Freak out time?

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
I'm pretty close. Not because we lost a game to a superior team but because we seem to have no plan for success. I don't know what coach is coaching during the week but it sure as **** is not 1/2 court offense. Its every man for himself school yard style. Walker is being wasted because he doesn't have a job. He hangs out on the wing like everyone else waiting for.....nothing. This is not my first complaint about the lack of 1/2 court plays or plans. It goes back to last season. Why do we not have a weave of some sort like other teams? What is it are we trying to establish? The 4 second left 3 pointer? Is that it?

It's embarrassing coach and it looks like your mailing it in.

Advertisement
Don't disagree at all. But ... this is the very same offense that brought Coach L a Final Four appearance, a double ACC championship, Coach of the Year, and all the laudatory statements and contract extensions from UM fans and administrators. Only the players are different.

Think Coach L is signed through what, 2022?? When he'll be 72 or 73. He may be a freak of nature but I'm 74 and in good health/shape but I'd be the first to tell you that at his age now, and where he's heading, your "energy" does NOT increase. Add in the game stress and travel. You get my point.

I think Lonnie would be the first to tell you that this season -- so far -- could be described in one word, disappointing. More of an "adjustment," I'm sure, than he thought it would be. As for Huell, I automatically deduct one or two stars from Florida HS players (and add a star or two to players from Balt/DC/NY and hotbeds like Indiana). But that's just my bias showing.

If Coach is mentally distracted this year, to me it's understandable. How would you handle this cloud over your head? I know I'd be depressed because it potentially has very long term ramifications. It's already been admitted he is, what was it, "Coach 7" on those recorded transcripts. I don't know how he's ever gonna be "fully cleared." I guess that the snitches reputations can be further damaged to the point where the government just throws out the case. But, is that really being "cleared?" That's Frenk's call and he seems to have made it!

All we can do is hope for the best. Hope the FBI thing is dropped. That BB comes back next year. Even that Lonnie reconsiders (he's averaging 11 ppg and 2.7 rpg). Is that really a high first rounder in the NBA these days? Even with his impressive/raw physical tools?

Last edited:
I'm pretty close. Not because we lost a game to a superior team but because we seem to have no plan for success. I don't know what coach is coaching during the week but it sure as **** is not 1/2 court offense. Its every man for himself school yard style. Walker is being wasted because he doesn't have a job. He hangs out on the wing like everyone else waiting for.....nothing. This is not my first complaint about the lack of 1/2 court plays or plans. It goes back to last season. Why do we not have a weave of some sort like other teams? What is it are we trying to establish? The 4 second left 3 pointer? Is that it?

It's embarrassing coach and it looks like your mailing it in.

Right on point. We are not doing the basic fundamental things on offense that make the game easier for everyone to score. It looks like we don't practice offense. I know Virginia has a great defense but it's not about the result of each offensive possession, it's the process. No ball movement, nothing to confuse the defense, we just run a pick and roll and the guy rolling is not a threat to score so you just double the guy with the ball. There is nothing else we do. I feel so bad for Lonnie. We are making it so hard for him to score because we don't move the ball and he has to create everything on his own.

How did Sheldon, Larkin, Kadji, Scott, Rion Brown, Reed, McKinney-Jones, Rodriguez, and Big Reggie score in this same offense? How did a mid-major GMU team with no highly recruited players get to the freaking Final Four (beating UNC and UConn along the way, both teams full of NBA talent), employing this offense? Not trying to be a smart *** but ... a question worth asking.

No question this team was gonna HEAVILY depend on BB and Walker for its scoring, if it was to be successful. Both, even when healthy, have had seasions falling well below expectations. There's a valid excuse for that -- both underclassmen, one a true frosh. But, still hard to overcome. Would have been nice to be able to pencil in 18 ppg or so from each.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that the offense has looked best with a good/great PG. Larkin and Angel. I think Lykes will be that guy. He is not that guy now. Newton isn't either, obviously.

Advertisement
One constant since 1985 is that the Canes NEVER run. We were scoring in the 50s with few skilled players back in the 80s, playing 55-54 games wen we won the Big East, and pretty much the same under Coach L, with athletic players. Will we EVER have a team that plays a fast-breaking, end to end game? Makes you wonder. Somehow, I think if Paul Westhead was our HC, we'd still be a half-court offense.

Oh, btw, we averaged over 100 points a game back in the 60s. Obviously, no focus on defense but fun to watch and a recruiting plus.

**** all you guys should be coaches at the highschool level or even above, your understanding of the game is awesome and knowing just what to do, especially during the week ,not to mention the game and having a plan for success, remember if you fail to plan you will eventually fail right? And coach L he is soooooo old now and this pressure and that pressure is weighing so heavily on him he should hire one of you guys right away to save the season and teach these guys how to play defense and how to shoot and......roflmao at all of you! Thanks for the laughs
I sure do hope coach L and the staff read this board how else would they know what do to?

Hot shot makes good point as usual but consider this. Those teams did push the ball. At one point Wade,Jones and LaBron came to our game to see them push it. We don't have NBA talent at guard right now. If you read my posts at all you know I'm always posting push it push it but its not happening. So here is an analogy. The dreaded Steve Spurrier when at UF hardly ever ran the ball and had good success. When he went to SC he realized he had almost nobody who could pass or catch. What did he do? He passed it anyway right? Nope in one season he went from the most pass happy coach to a pound it coach and had very good early success. My point is we don't have the horses to run the coaches old offense if there is one cause i can't find it. He needs to adapt. Run some **** plays. Put in the weave. Give walker a job

Advertisement
Back