Interesting counterpart to Miami's defensive philosophy

Advertisement
Advertisement
This may get stretched way beyond the non-headline point of the article: "have to have a QB with some effective movement" (about 6 paragraphs down the article)."

Same thing we've talked about for years. The ability to move within and around the actual pocket extends plays whose first and second options often get shut down. This is why Kaaya could never find launching point for his accuracy. What it doesn't mean is you need a running QB. What it definitely doesn't mean is the QB's first responsibility remains anything other than processing information quickly.

My understanding of the article is that, in response to modern defenses which "are stronger, faster and more bullying in their intent on collapsing pockets and punishing quarterbacks" (like ours) offenses are responding by putting the QB on the move and allowing him to make movement passes on run plays, particularly out of the shotgun. The emphais is on movement and mobility, even in the red zone. Being mobile increases the QB/s odds of avoiding injury. The application of the article is to consider which of the potential QB's most fits the current philosophy of #TNM.

This may get stretched way beyond the non-headline point of the article: "have to have a QB with some effective movement" (about 6 paragraphs down the article)."

Same thing we've talked about for years. The ability to move within and around the actual pocket extends plays whose first and second options often get shut down. This is why Kaaya could never find launching point for his accuracy. What it doesn't mean is you need a running QB. What it definitely doesn't mean is the QB's first responsibility remains anything other than processing information quickly.
True. But I can process information quickly . . . doesn't do me a **** bit of good, tho . . .

My understanding of the article is that, in response to modern defenses which "are stronger, faster and more bullying in their intent on collapsing pockets and punishing quarterbacks" (like ours) offenses are responding by putting the QB on the move and allowing him to make movement passes on run plays, particularly out of the shotgun. The emphais is on movement and mobility, even in the red zone. Being mobile increases the QB/s odds of avoiding injury. The application of the article is to consider which of the potential QB's most fits the current philosophy of #TNM.

Tate Martell

Advertisement
I haven't formally counted, but I feel we still see about the same amount of short rolls and sprintouts in the NFL as then. They focus on Andy Reid's offense and while he has a number of these plays, the majority of his QB's movement comes from sliding and extending plays himself (which often do end up outside the pocket, but not running). I think all of our QBs can do this, but am worried about who's going to process information the best. From the tiny sample, seems Tate is the best with his feet.

For college (it changes slightly in Pros, I think):

1. Processing info
2. Accuracy

3. Ability to climb, slide and extend plays within or outside of pocket with intent to throw downfield
4. Release
5. Anticipation

5. Arm strength adequacy
6. Running ability

Superbowl history suggests passing is still a premium skill in the nfl and overall offensive control remains valuable when you dont have a great passing qb.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back