Interesting class size breakdown

Hstokes1447

Junior
With the NCAA ruling coming down any day now this staff will need to do some smart recruiting class management to make the best of the possible scholarship reductions. Now according to NCAA rule a team is allowed to bring in a max of 25 players per class. The rule also allow players who enroll early to count toward the previous class.

Source:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf

Looking back at USC 2011 class, although they were hit with a reduction of 10 scholarship per year they were able to sign a class of 30 because a large number of early enrollees. USC did not begin probation until 2011 so the EE's were able to count toward the 2010 class that was not restricted by any scholarship reduction.

Source:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/09/sports/la-sp-usc-newcomers-20110110

Now looking at the current state of Miami recruiting and the rumor that we could be facing a reduction of 3 scholarships per year.

2010 Class:
  • 30 commitments
  • 5 EE's that counted toward the 2009 class
  • 3 did not make it in
  • 2 EE's from 2011
Final 2010 class total 24

2011Class:
  • 19 commitments
  • 2 EE's that counted toward the 2010 class
  • 3 did not make it in
  • 8 EE's from 2012
Final 2011 class total 22

2012 Class :
  • 33 commitments
  • 8 EE's that counted toward the 2011 class
  • 1 did not make it in
  • 1 EE from 2013
Final 2012 class total 25

2013 Class :
  • 19 commitments
  • 1 EE's that counted toward the 2012 class (there was 4 EE's but only 1 could count back to 2012 class)
  • 3 did not make it in
Final 2013 class total 15

With those numbers this staff could bring in a class of 32 with 10 EE's counting back to the 2013 class. This will give us 22 official commitments for 2014 while serving a reduction of 3 scholarships.

Last edited:
Advertisement
357.jpg

It's too early to worry about this, let just get through the season first. The numbers will work out, one way or an other. Golden has a plan.

I'm not sure that any upcoming sanctions can legally affect the 2014 class. Can someone verify the ncaa can put sanctions on this class, since the institution has offered these kids in good faith?

Advertisement
Al did the same thing with the 2012 class as this one, load up before you think the ncaa will lower the boom

Exactly and now he can load up again with this 14 class. Looking back at 13 class a lot of guys were frustrated at the lack of offers this staff gave out, but looking at the situation now I think that was a perfect plan. With south Florida being so loaded this year, it is very smart to have the numbers so we can load up on all of this talent.

2014 returning roster numbers:
SR 14
JR 18
SO 26 (this includes the freshman that will redshirt)
Total 54 returning

If we are hit with a reduction of 3 scholarships, we will only be allowed a max of 82 players on the roster. This means with a recruiting class of 32, 4 guys will be shown the door (IMO: Dewey, Wells, Perry, & O'Donnell).

Those numbers could give Miami 56 FR's and SO's. With the numbers being so high and only 14 SR's and 5-6 JR's with the resume to leave early, Miami couldn't sign a full class in 2015 even without scholarship reductions. Then in 16 the staff can play the EE game again and sneak a few more guys in that class. At this rate we could have a reduction of 3 scholarships in 14, 15, & 16 without even feeling it lol.

Golden doesn't run kids off the team, as long as they are doing what they are supposed to.Dewey will be back.

Advertisement
Golden and the staff knows the numbers way better then we do they're prepared

I totally agree. This staff has worked magic every season with this roster. I'm actually excited to see just how he handles whatever reduction we get hit with. I have never seen a staff that works transfers like this staff. Al and crew are very impressive when it comes to roster management.

Golden and the staff knows the numbers way better then we do they're prepared

I totally agree. This staff has worked magic every season with this roster. I'm actually excited to see just how he handles whatever reduction we get hit with. I have never seen a staff that works transfers like this staff. Al and crew are very impressive when it comes to roster management.
They're very wise and strategic so they will be prepared for anything **** this may be why they wanted guys to commit so fast just so they can handle everything later

You left out all the transfers, going back to Ayles, which will change your counts as they count as enrollments.

Golden doesn't run kids off the team, as long as they are doing what they are supposed to.Dewey will be back.

Exactly . I wish people would quit throwing out names of kids that will be sent packing . They're just pulling names out of their *** .

Advertisement
A couple of things to remember, NCAA scholarship reductions cannot only affect the 85, but they can also specifically limit the size of your classes in each of the forthcoming years - in other words if we got hit with a penalty of five per year for three years they could say that we can only enroll 20 each year which messes with our flexibility big time. It also means that we will probably end up well under 80 at some point. It's what happened to Miami under Butch Davis, and it's what happened to USC recently.

Also keep in mind that in order to count a signee towards last year's cap, you need to enroll by January. It's going to be very hard for us to max out on last last year's class with early enrollees as I'm not sure we have enough candidates for early entry right now.

I'm not sure that any upcoming sanctions can legally affect the 2014 class. Can someone verify the ncaa can put sanctions on this class, since the institution has offered these kids in good faith?

USC was not forced to immediately impose the scholly reductions when they were handed down. So they loade up to the max they could legally get, then imposed the following year.

IIRC, teams can choose how many they reduce each year, as long as its no less than what's handed down.

Example: NCAA says 9 scholarships taken away over 3 years. The class year that they're handed down, you don't have to impose. So it would be 9 reduced over the next 2 years

Miami enrolled 21 kids and has four spots left in the 2013 Class, and will have the early enrollments for that no problem. In fact, they will probably have more similar to 2011 when they enroll eight with only seven spots for EEs.

There is no option to condense a penalty, USC appealed that us why it passed a year.

Whether it impacts 2014 comes done to when the NCAA rules.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back