Interesting - Belichick not a fan of Analytics

As I've said before analytics is an area where, done improperly, it can harm as much as help. Data quality and meaningful metrics are not as easy to produce as some might think. Belichick just trusts his instincts because they work.
But his instincts to the core are based off analytics..nobody is out here winging it

Advertisement
Brilliant football mind and super slick when interviewed. He tells what he wants to tell--no more.

Belichick's assistants were not looking at stats or analytics, they were looking at tape of their next opponent's sideline signals.

Advertisement
I’ll believe he’s the goat if he keeps winning that division after Brady leaves.

Take everything that Biličić says with a grain of salt.

Take everything that Biličić says with a grain of salt.
Are you saying he hopes every other coach abandons analytics because he doesn't use them when in fact he does, but secretly?

Because that would be the most Belichick thing ever.

Advertisement
Are you saying he hopes every other coach abandons analytics because he doesn't use them when in fact he does, but secretly?

Because that would be the most Belichick thing ever.
Yes.

Advertisement
Bill is a football coach, period! He studys opponents habits more than plays. The Pat's do a good job of taking away what an opponent does well.

Analytics has a place but should not be all you have.

Belichick is the GOAT at finding your weakness and exploiting it. That will always trump analytics, IMO.

How many coordinators have come and gone yet they don't skip a beat. They are basically plug and play with most of their personnel. He will always out scheme the opponent.

Advertisement
Bill being unique is true.

So when the defense met for the first time to hear coordinator Bill Belichick’s game plan for stopping the Bills in Super Bowl XXV, the defensive players thought the emphasis would be on stopping Thomas. But Belichick shocked them by saying they had to let the dangerous back run for at least 100 yards

Thats exactly what my mind went to.

Diaz always preaches that the analytics say this, say that, blah, blah.

But there’s no discernible proof they really matter in football.

Baseball?

Absolutely.

Football?

Jury is still out.
Analytics aren't some boogieman, they're just numbers. You know what you can use to evaluate how badly you are as a tackling team? NUMBERS. How many missed tackles you had -- that's an analytic. What your tackling % was? That's an analytic. I don't know when stats became some boogieman that people are terrified of using. Analytics have been around for decades.

I think he's lying to throw us off his scent. Doesn't he have a degree in economics and intricately values players which is why they never have cap issues or guys with too high of salaries? I'm sure the valuation of the player is loaded with algorithms, etc.

Advertisement
Back