Initial counters, back counters, EE - knowing how to work the system

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
is another reason Bama can recruit the way they do. Just picked this up off their 247 board. The poster is "the guy" who keeps everyone up to date on this stuff. I had to read it twice to understand it. But this is another example of how Saban works the system perfectly. They took 27 last cycle and plan to take 27 again - here's how:

"Bama took 27 in the 2019 cycle including Kaho.
However, 2018 late addition QB Layne Hatcher wasn't on a scholarship and 2018 non-qualifier Jordan Davis didn't sign an NLI. So they didn't count toward any signing or counter limits, resulting in two unused 2018-19 signing and initial counter spots that two 2019-class early enrollees could be counted against.
Also 2019-class early enrollees Paul Tyson and Will Reichard didn't sign NLIs. It appears that was done so they could receive scholarships as replacements (under the voluntary withdrawal exception rule -- NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.4.1) for Vandarious Cowan and Keith Holcombe, who withdrew from the team before the 2018 fall term. Per that rule, they would count toward the 85 total counters limit, but not the annual 25 signings and 25 initial counters limits.
Also I suspect Bama was able to use the voluntary withdrawal exception rule to give someone (e.g., Saivion Smith or Tevita Musika) a replacement scholarship for Mekhi Brown, who withdrew after the 2017 season. If so, it wouldn't have counted toward 2018's annual limits (only the 85 limit) and would've left one more unused 2018 spot that a 2019 early enrollee could count against."
The net result of the 2019-cycle backcounting enabled by the above would result in Bama having 3 unused 2019 signing and initial counter spots available for backcounting 3 2020 early enrollees. But assuming grad-transfer commit Landon ****erson enrolls, he'd use one of those 3 2019 spots, leaving two.

Bottom line: I think Bama can take 27 without requiring any blue or gray shirting.

Advertisement
lol we own the portal. We doing it better than them. It aint rocket science, we have people on this board keeping track as well.

**** they try to greyshirt kids because of oversigning and process kids out. I cant remember the last time we used a greyshirt

OK, this thread tells me I in no way understand the rules, and need to do some reading. But I get the gist, and still say @calinative umstudent has the best handle on it that I have found from a Hurricanes standpoint.

Advertisement
Yeah so players only get Initially Counted against the 25 limit if they sign a NLI or a scholarship award. So even if a player signs the NLI but does not qualify due to grades, he still counts as an initial counter. So obviously if a player never signs a NLI or scholarship agreement or never even is awarded scholarship he doesn't count as an IC (this is why greyshirting allows schools to apply scholarships to the following year... Cause technically he wasn't on scholarship that yr or at least long enough to defer scholarship to following yr)

And as far as the Scholarship replacement basically when a player voluntarily withdraws (a completely voluntary form they sign, not sure if normal transfer can count as a voluntary withdrawal or not tho...) He is choosing to give up that scholarship. The team can immediately use it on a player who previously was not on scholarship (but has been with the team for a yr) without counting as an IC. However they CANT just use it on like a new player that they are signing, they have to be already in the program.

So this is really no different than greyshirting. You get a player to enroll without a scholarship for a semester, then when a player leaves he can be awarded scholarship without counting as an IC...honestly we probably already did that with our longsnapper or any of those other walk-ons we have given a scholarship to lately...

Advertisement
Back