In Addition to Finally Being Able to Root for UM Again

chicanego

Junior
Premium
I will be pulling for the Clemson Tigers the rest of this season.

Go ahead and call me a traitor for doing so, but I commend Dabo and his crew for absolutely blowing the doors off yesterday and officially ending the worst era of football at UM.

They showed no mercy, and didn't take their foot off the gas when it was obvious the game was out of reach for Miami.

We're not out of the woods yet, as we've made 3 bad hires in a row, but it's remarkably refreshing to finally be freed from the Folden era.

If we somehow win yesterday's game (lulz) or keep it close, I'm not sure the BOT pull the trigger today.

We're free. And for the first time in over 2 years I actually have a shred of hope that we can make it to the top again.

Thank you, Clemson.

Advertisement
A day after the University of Miami’s worst football loss in history, the University of Miami has fired coach Al Golden.

Miami athletic director Blake James announced Sunday evening in a written release that he “has relieved Head Football Coach Al Golden of his duties effective immediately’’ and that assistant coach Larry Scott will serve as the interim head coach for the remainder of 2015.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,’’ James said in the release. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.’’

Golden was fired in the middle of his fifth season at UM and finished 32-25. The program has been going downhill for years, and Saturday night’s 58-0 loss on national TV – the largest margin of error in UM’s 90 years of football – was the final dagger for Golden.

The Canes are now 4-3 and 1-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and don’t have much chance of even winning the Coastal Division in the ACC, their foremost goal this season.

“On behalf of my family I want to thank the University of Miami for a tremendous opportunity,’’ Golden said. “I believe in what we are doing and how we are doing it and we have some outstanding young men in our football program. Though this moment is difficult, we wish the Canes the best of luck going forward.’’

Scott is the tight ends coach and run game coordinator, and spent the eight previous seasons at USF.

Miami Hurricanes fire Al Golden as head coach

Hopefully we can find a way to win the coastal. I think a lot of stress has been lifted off this team. They will respond on Saturday. I expect us to beat Duke

For weeks, fans and former players have been clamoring for Al Golden’s ouster.

Banner planes have flown above all seven of Miami’s games – home and away – clamoring for the move to be made. Former players have taken to social media to express their thoughts and during Saturday’s 58-0 loss to Clemson, chants of “Fire Al Golden” could be heard throughout Sun Life Stadium.

When the inevitable happened on Sunday evening – a day after that loss to Clemson, which is the worst in program history – reaction across social media was swift with current players, former players and fans sharing their thoughts about Golden’s departure.

“Coach Golden saw in me something that I didn’t see for myself. Thank you for all you did for me coach,” tweeted Hurricanes defensive end Ufomba Kamalu, who signed with Miami in 2013 out of Butler Community College.

Fellow defensive end Demetrius Jackson also shared his thoughts on Twitter writing, “Love [Al Golden] and will always continue to use the many things he taught me in life on being a successful young man to man.”

Freshman defensive tackle Kendrick Norton, meanwhile, tweeted a photo of Golden’s office door with a sign on it that read, “This meeting may only be interrupted by a player.” Norton captioned the photo, “Al Golden’s door…the kind of person and coach he was.”

At least one former player – Clinton Portis – expressed a sentiment that was echoed by even some of the angriest of Miami fans – gratitude.

Less than a year after Golden arrived in Coral Gables, he was blindsided by a Yahoo Sports story that detailed years of improper benefits doled out by a former booster. There was a protracted NCAA investigation into the allegations made by that former booster and for more than two years, Golden shepherded the program through uncertainty.

That likely prompted Portis to tweet, “Thankful to [Al Golden] for accepting and enduring a punishment that he had nothing to do with. He saw us through tough times. #ReturnoftheU

Others, though, expressed different sentiments.

Former Hurricanes cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who has been critical of Golden for several years, thanked Clemson and wrote, “It’s time to reload, with the right head coach in place, there is no such thing as rebuilding. … Recruits don't fear, a new direction is here. By hiring the right head coach, a lot of UM Alumni plan to be around the team more than ever.”

Buchanon also expressed support for Larry Scott, who was named UM’s interim coach Sunday evening.

“I'm also looking forward to seeing what coach Larry Scott can do with limited time. Let's not hold this against him,” Buchanon wrote on Twitter.

Former Hurricanes quarterback Ryan Williams also expressed support for Scott, tweeting, "Nothing but respect for Coach Larry Scott. One of the best coaches I've ever been around."

Al being blindsided is biggest fable, one Golden will use to get another job; again, the Shapiro allegations were reported by the Miami Herald before Golden interviewd and his agent failed in his Due Dilegence...Bottom Line, the story was out there.

Advertisement
Excellent post, OP. I, too, will be forever grateful to Dabo for what he did yesterday. He had the sense to put his 3rd string QB in who was a much better runner than his 2nd string QB. That led to a couple extra TDs that we wouldn't have had with the 2nd string guy.

I think Dabo is a UM fan underneath it all. He knew what needed to be done to put UM back on the map, and he did it. For that, I'll always be a Dabo fan.

My company's CFO is a big Clemson fan and I will extend my hand in gratitude tomorrow and thank him for a job well done. We are all Clemson fans now.

This particular nightmare is over. Gone is the two-headed monster of Folden and Dorito. What pretenders! Fraudulent to the core. An attack of food poisoning would be more pleasant than these Siamese twins.

Now, BOT, I ask you. Do we go back to sleep and sweat through another nightmare, or do we stay awake to the light of day? Open your purse and bring in a coach appropriate for Cane football. No more pretenders. No more coaches on the cheap. No more amateurs. Hire a winner, or lose all love for the U.

The U is a quality coaching job. If you can't hire a top coach for the U, then you should take the first flight to Paraguay to live forever in exile and seclusion.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back