Ideal Staff Makeup

sandimas0912

Recruit
Premium
With all the moving parts on defense, I was wondering about what the makeup of a modern CFB staff should look like, especially now that there's a 10th assistant allowed.

Obviously on offense, you have QB/RB/WR/OL/TE, with one of those (usually but not always the QB coach) carrying the OC title. I suppose sometimes it's slightly different in air raid offenses, but whatever.

Defense seems less clear-cut though. Should it be DL/LB/DB? Splitting DEs and DTs seems kind of pointless. Same with ILB and OLB, at least in a 4-3. I've read people on this board talking **** about having separate S and CB coaches for 5 years. Is having a dedicated STC worth it? (I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I feel confident that anyone hired to be a special teams coordinator just has to be an incredibly weird person.)

I only ask this because, to my uneducated eye, it doesn't seem completely crazy for Miami to hire someone like T-Rob to coach the whole defensive backfield while also hiring an up-and-comer like DVD to be on-field, assist with the position group, and recruit like a ************. I mean 3 years ago that spot didn't even exist when there were only 9 coaches, so what's the harm in giving it to a developmental-type coach when there's not a clearly obvious spot for a full position coach.

So leaving aside the who, how would you build a UM coaching staff?

Advertisement
Advertisement
What does everyone think of legit Co-DCs, with on focused on defending the run, the other the pass.?

With all the moving parts on defense, I was wondering about what the makeup of a modern CFB staff should look like, especially now that there's a 10th assistant allowed.

Obviously on offense, you have QB/RB/WR/OL/TE, with one of those (usually but not always the QB coach) carrying the OC title. I suppose sometimes it's slightly different in air raid offenses, but whatever.

Defense seems less clear-cut though. Should it be DL/LB/DB? Splitting DEs and DTs seems kind of pointless. Same with ILB and OLB, at least in a 4-3. I've read people on this board talking **** about having separate S and CB coaches for 5 years. Is having a dedicated STC worth it? (I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I feel confident that anyone hired to be a special teams coordinator just has to be an incredibly weird person.)

I only ask this because, to my uneducated eye, it doesn't seem completely crazy for Miami to hire someone like T-Rob to coach the whole defensive backfield while also hiring an up-and-comer like DVD to be on-field, assist with the position group, and recruit like a ************. I mean 3 years ago that spot didn't even exist when there were only 9 coaches, so what's the harm in giving it to a developmental-type coach when there's not a clearly obvious spot for a full position coach.

No harm in giving that 10th spot to a developmental coach unless that coach is Jon Patke.....

Advertisement
Manny after Bama...
giphy (12).gif

Advertisement

U should see my madden adjustments..**** crazy

Ideal defensive staff:
New DC
New LB and/or strikers if we keep 4-2-5
New secondary coach (TRob)
New D line coach
Manny can teach special teams to save money

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back