I rewatched the game.

TheChosenOne

Senior
I finally had the stomach to re-watch the game and here is what I saw.

1) Get Campbell off the MotherF*cking field. HOLY CRAP. Mahomey transferred but is still here in spirit. Give Kai-Leon Herbert a go at RT or RG and push Scaife out to RT because Herbert did hold the job until the final scrimmage. After re-watching the game Nelson wasn't even that bad. I swore he played much worse then I thought but he didn't. Nelson struggles looked more like a snap count issue if anything. It had nothing to do with ability. Sure he got beat once or twice but the other times were just the guy not knowing the snap count which affected his get off. I don't know if that's the QB's fault, the center's fault, the coaches fault, or his fault. Either way we need to work on making sure everyone is on the right page about the snap counts because we're on the road against UNC and I'm sure UNC's fan are energized about Mack's return in their home opener in a night game.

2) Jarren Williams need to process things quicker. He stared at one side of the field WAY to long at times. He also did what most young Qb do, start running without actual pressure. There were times, when given time, if he just got off his 1st read and looked to the other side of the field he would of found open WRs. The worse part was he would buy time and STILL look at the same side of the field.

3) STAY IN THE SHOTGUN. There is a clear difference between our offense in the shotgun then under center. When we were in the shotgun Jarren was able to buy more time and get passes off. Under center the dude had no chance, NONE. KNOW YOUR PERSONNEL, ENOS. Enos said that if a guy like Tate Martell won the job he would run a (assuming) spread offense for Tate? How about do it anyways because this under-center isn't going to work. If I were Enos I would look into running more of a RPO/Spread shotgun offense.

Just look for yourself. Look at the difference between Shotgun plays and Under center plays. It not even debatable. When Jarren was in the gun he gave the tackles a chance by avoiding sacks. Matter of fact, most of the sacks in the shotgun was a result of Jarren holding on to the ball to long.

Miami Offense Condensed - Look at Shotgun plays and Under center plays. NOT DEBATABLE.

4) For the defense, I'm going to chalk the bad tackling up to first game jitters against a physical opponent. My bigger concern was some of the confusion lining up. When a guy like Tony goes into motion how does no one shift with him? If Someone shift to Tony's side then they are in a better position to make a tackle for the maximum of 5-7 yards. Also on the Amari Carter INT there was a breakdown in the secondary. On that INT someone was suppose to be in the deeper middle of the field I don't know if it Hall or Carter. It looked like Hall made the blunder in coverage on that play but got bailed out. The same thing could be said about the huge 50 yard catch by UF down the seam. Carter gotta be there to help on that. That's where you missed Jaquan and Redwine. They break on that ball.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Haven't re-watched game, but curious how many times was Williams under center? Didn't seem like a lot.

Interesting that most of our run attempts were slow-developing runs.

Agree on Jaren. Lots of scrambles (and a few sacks) came when there was actually a good pocket and he started running in circles for no reason.

Thomas isn't a big-time player yet, just a freak talent.

I'm not sure Shotgun v under center is the problem. We had two years of only shotgun.

This offense is like west-coast-whipple-ball

Advertisement
That snap count is what killed our tackles. Agree with Campbell he was waiting for the contact and leading with his shoulder instead of using his hands. Which is why they went around him so much.

Ol was bad, but at same token you shouldn't give up big plays. That toney run should have been stopped, kid ain't that good. Take away that run or the deep pass td and we still win. No Big Plays!!

Yes Jarren was took some sacks he didn't need to, but that's kinda expected. As OP said, he made mistakes every your GB makes. Sure, he sees our D in practice, but this was the first time talented guys came after him 100% with malice. I can't fault him for those mistakes. The test is, does he get better at that, or is he Franks who has enough experience that he shouldn't be doing stupid sht so often anymore.

Advertisement
I said after the game cambell was much worse than nelson. Cambell needs alot of work. He is young so he could end up good but move him for now.

Advertisement
Back