I know this is way way ahead but w/e thats what forums are for...

What if we lose to Clemson (I think we can beat them but this is just a interesting scenario to talk about), then win out. ND and Clemson win out too. We will be tied with ND for 1 loss in the conference. Every other team will have at least 2 or more losses. We would have lost to the same team as ND. We play the same teams except...we play NC State, Va Tech, and UAB. ND plays Duke, Syracuse, and USF. How would a tie breaker work?

Advertisement
What if we lose to Clemson (I think we can beat them but this is just a interesting scenario to talk about), then win out. ND and Clemson win out too. We will be tied with ND for 1 loss in the conference. Every other team will have at least 2 or more losses. We would have lost to the same team as ND. We play the same teams except...we play NC State, Va Tech, and UAB. ND plays Duke, Syracuse, and USF. How would a tie breaker work?
No idea. I hope this becomes reality tho

Highest ranked team.

It would be funny if it is Notre Dame in that hypothetical.
So when they get pounded in Charlotte we still make it into the playoff with one close loss to Clemson.

Advertisement

Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Head-to-head competition versus the team with the best overall win percentage and proceeding though the conference. Multiple ties within the conference will be broken from first to last using the league’s tiebreaker policies.
3. Overall win percentage versus all common conference opponents.
4. Win percentage versus common conference opponents based upon their order of finish (overall conference win percentage) and proceeding through other common conference opponents based upon their conference order of finish.
5. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
6. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee.

Three-Team (or More) Tie
Three-team (or more) tiebreaker procedure will be used to break all ties to identify the Championship game representative. Once a team is eliminated from the tie, the tiebreaker procedures restart for the remaining teams. If the three-team (or more) tie can be reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format will then be applied).

1. Combined head-to-head win percentage among the tied teams.
2. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the conference with the best overall conference win percentage and proceeding through the conference. Multiple ties within the conference will be broken first to last, using the league’s tiebreaker policies.
3. Combined win percentage versus all common conference opponents.
4. Win percentage versus common conference opponents based upon their order of finish (overall conference win percentage) and proceeding through other common conference opponents based upon their conference order of finish.
5. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
6. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee.
Note: Conference games against otherwise postseason ineligible teams will always be counted in the league standings and in application of the tie breaker policies.

Advertisement
Posted this scenario as a reply in another thread.

Ranking the tie-breaker?

Could be strength of conference schedule based conference opponent or common conference opponents record.

Advertisement
Great discussion, although I would prefer that the Canes not leave their destiny in the hands of a tie-breaker or ACC officials—especially, to pick among us, Clemson, or Notre Dame—I just don’t trust them. I would prefer that the Canes win out, then play whoever earns the chance to play us in the ACC-CG

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back