I Don't Blame Kaaya

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
Or Wright, Harris, or even Morris. I blame coaching and the staff they've put together. Do we realize the last truly credible O Coordinator we had was Chud back in 2001-2002? Let's throw some names out here:

Dan Werner
Rich Olson
Patrick Nix
Mark Whipple
James Coley
Thomas Brown
Jon Richt

These are the guys who have been either our O-coordinators or QB Coaches. That's the staff our last head coaches have entrusted our talent with. I left out Fisch, b/c Fisch came with some NFL experience. Look at Steph Morris' numbers w Fisch and w/o him. ****, the offense was humming under Fisch; unfortunately, the other side of the coin was bleeding yards and points under the tutelage of the great youth football def coordinator Mark D'Onofrio.

Our defensive and offensive woes have been hinged upon poor staffing. Yes talent is a problem, but TCU, Boise St, WU, UL, and even last year's Michigan teams all had less talent than us, per our recruiting class rankings the last 3 years, yet some how they are all thriving.
Is Jon Richt going to teach Kaaya how to look for his safety net, how to look off a defender, or teach him the proverbial "internal QB Clock?" Of course he's not...he has 0 experience.

Not only have we been poorly staffed, but there's been no consistency, from the staffing, for the past several years:
Werner: 03'-05'
Olsen: 06'
Nix: 07'-09'
Whipple: 09'-10'
Fisch: 11'-12'
Coley: 13'-15'

What we see is a new playbook being learned every 2 1/2 yrs for the last 13 yrs! Besides Fisch, who was woo'd by the NFL, we see a trend of wrong hires...and unfortunately that's on both sides of the ball which cripples the continuity of a football program. Yes, there are promotions, and guys move on, but we all know that's not the case here.

I like some of Richt's hirings, but a lot are rather "meh." I believe [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] said that his success will depend on his hires. There's no coincidence that Kaaya's regression has coincided with Richt's lackluster O-Coordination hires...just saying.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back