Hurricanes Snubbed in Preseason Coaches’ Poll (Article)

SolidCane

Senior
Banned
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-hurricanes-football-snubbed-preseason-coaches-poll-fan-152100918--ncaaf.html

I know, it's Yahoo, but it written by a Canes fan and thought it was pretty fair. SIAP.

With the start of the 2012 college football season just a few short weeks away, many fans are buzzing about the latest preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll. As a huge Miami Hurricanes fan I am no different, but I was in for a real shock when I looked at the latest preseason Coaches' Poll. While I was not expecting to see the Canes in the top 25, I did at least think they would garner a little respect, but I was wrong in a big way.

Not One Single Vote

Because I am a fan of the Canes I've unfortunately gotten used to looking below the section of the poll that says, "Others receiving votes," these past couple of seasons. This is when I count past spot 25 on the polls to see exactly where the Hurricanes are in the National Rankings. Unfortunately, they must rank pretty low as the Hurricanes didn't even get one single vote in the latest poll.

To put this in perspective, the USA Today Coaches' Poll has LSU ranked number one. LSU received 1,403 points, which adds up to a lot of votes. At number 25 in the poll is Auburn with 66 points. Again, I wasn't expecting to see the Canes anywhere near those numbers, but not one single vote?

Poll and Other Receiving Votes - Lots of Florida, No Miami

When looking at the fresh USA Today Coaches' Poll there are plenty of Florida teams to be found. FSU is ranked at seven and Florida is ranked at 23. That's all well and good, but when looking in the "Others receiving votes" section there are even more names, some not so notable.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from these schools or their football programs, but I am simply including them to show how disrespected THE U seems to be these days in college football. Included in the Florida college football teams that at least got some votes are South Florida with 12 votes, UCF with five votes and Florida International with three votes.

Pending Trouble Can't Be the Reason

Perhaps the reason that the Hurricanes are getting no respect in the poll is because of the pending trouble that the Canes face with the NCAA. However, if that theory was correct then UCF should get no respect as they were just hit with NCAA sanctions. So, the reasons the Canes are on the outside looking in has to be because nobody thinks they are a quality team.

Motivation

As a Hurricanes fan it's my hope that the coaching staff of the Miami Hurricanes shows this preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll to the players and drives home the point that nobody seems to respect them as a football team. While it isn't as if the Canes need any additional motivation to prove themselves in 2012, this utter lack of poll respect probably won't hurt either.

Jimmy Collins has been a loyal fan of "The U" since he was a child attending games at the original Orange Bowl. Still a resident of South Florida, he attends numerous Miami Hurricanes games each season and enjoys writing about NCAA Football and the Miami Hurricanes in particular.

Advertisement
Dude, we went 6-6. Anything we get must be earned.

While I agree, that doesn't change the fact that this poll is proof of how ridiculous and biased the polls are. This is a coaches poll. Our own coach is a participant, and didn't vote for our team, despite the fact that they are clearly better than many of the "others receiving votes". Meanwhile, FIU no doubt got votes from their coach, and other coaches in their conference. Not because they are in any way, shape, or form better than UM, but because they want to prop up their conference's image.

Advertisement
We didn't deserve any votes, need to prove we are back on the field before anyone cares about UM.

Advertisement
And I figured this was appropriate...

tumblr_m75wnt0nky1qdhquz.jpg

Advertisement
If we want to be ranked, all we gotta do is win the first two games.

You really think BC and KState will get us receiving zero votes to ranked?

I'm thinking we have to get to at least 4-0 to crack the top 25.

Beating KState on the road will get us into the 20s.

I'm gotta disagree here. We have zero votes, I'm not so sure Kstate will garner enough to get us ranked. Maybe if we totally blow out BC and Kstate it could happen, but we've been irrelevant long enough that we don't get benefit of the doubt votes anymore.

Advertisement
If we want to be ranked, all we gotta do is win the first two games.

You really think BC and KState will get us receiving zero votes to ranked?

I'm thinking we have to get to at least 4-0 to crack the top 25.

Beating KState on the road will get us into the 20s.

I'm gotta disagree here. We have zero votes, I'm not so sure Kstate will garner enough to get us ranked. Maybe if we totally blow out BC and Kstate it could happen, but we've been irrelevant long enough that we don't get benefit of the doubt votes anymore.

We went from unranked to 9th in '09 after beating FSU and Georgia Tech.

Clocking in at 23 or something isn't far-fetched.

It's not a stretch to say that by this consensus, we are the team picked to lose every game.

Every game.

Were I coach, just before each game, I'd make sure - maybe in a Thursday night meeting with players - that "we are the underdogs and every coach in the nation expects us to lose. For that to happen, they are saying that you cannot beat the man you personally are up against."

Let that sink in for a moment.

"I say you CAN beat your man. I say you can beat your man EVERY play. Now, if you personally beat your man every play, then you will prove to every coach and every person in the US that they were wrong about you personally. We have nothing to lose. We have nothing to gain by holding anything back. Every play, until the whistle blows, you put your man on his back, put him on his ***, stick on him like glue, block him to a standstill, or lose him in your dust."

Let that sink in.

"No one in this country can outwork you. But you have to sacrifice every fiber of your being to win. Every minute, every play. Now. You go take back what they've taken away from you."

Let that sink in.

"You're expected to lose. Make up your mind right now you'll beat your guy every play, and you'll do it. That white stuff in chickenschitt? It's chickenschitt too."

Advertisement
Back