Hurricanes 6 Year Drought is Over

View as article

pcitycane

Retired staff
Premium
80.jpg

On the road, at one of the toughest arenas to travel and get a win at, the Miami Hurricanes decided that enough was enough. The Hurricanes haven't beaten the North Carolina Tar Heels since 2006. 2006. 6 years. Tonight was a huge game as a win for the Canes would most likely give them the confidence to dominate ACC play. Yes, I said it... DOMINATE. I don't know if its the transition of the ages, the way the planets and stars are aligned, or what have you, but this year like it or not the ACC is down. Guess what? Canes are courting their best team since 2007. Coincidence? Who friggin cares? Its all about this :neonu:. Miami ended a 10 game losing streak vs. UNC with a 68-59 win on Thursday night, prime time, on ESPN.

TOP PERFORMERS - MIAMI

Kenny Kadji, good lord son. This guy has got some major game. 18 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists.
Julian Gamble, **** the past... I love you. 14 points and 6 MAJOR boards.
Larkin and Scott both had 11. Rion Brown had 9 off the bench.

Overall, the team defense was AMAZING. Coach L has these Canes playing defense like some of the top teams from the past, and I don't mean Miami's past, I'm talking the history of the NCAA.

TOP PERFORMERS - UNC

Lulz, you guys lost,

The son of McAdoo had 14 points and Bullok had 11.

The Hurricanes are now 11-3 and 2-0 in the ACC for the first time ever. 2 road conference games down, 2 wins. North Carolina falls to 10-5 and 0-2 within the conference. Maybe Reggie going down was a blessing in disguise. By the time he gets back, Gamble is going to have so much confidence in his game that he is going to be a TERROR coming off the bench, and if we need to get big having the both of them in the lineup at the same time will be very convenient. A healthy Reggie during the ACC tourny tells me, hey, why cant we win the conference title? A healthy Reggie in the NCAA tournament tells me, hey, with a good seed, why cant we go to the final 4?

F it, Lets go HAM on the NCAA. Lets put a banner up at Bank United. This is the year to do it. We have the coach, we have the talent, we have the will, and most importantly, we have this :neonu:.

This is my favorite part of each segment...

CANES ROLLED! ITS GREAT.. TO BE.. A MIAMI HURRRRRICANE

:neonu::neonu::neonu::emotcrown::emotcrown::emotcrown::cigar::cigar::cigar::neonu::neonu::neonu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Great job P.

[tweet]289554524329373696[/tweet]

Read that quote over and over again. This isn't even real life. We're gonna be dancin folks.

Great job P.

Read that quote over and over again. This isn't even real life. We're gonna be dancin folks.

gamble, like mcgee with football, has been forgiven by just having a few good games in crucial situations. guy has stepped it up in a major way.

Great job P.

Absolute monster but I am disappoint there was no nut-sucking of Kadji. Complete game changer down the stretch.

Advertisement
Nice w/u P.

I hate UNC and Duke b-ball the same way I hate UF and FSU football.

Just finished watching the game on DVR, a couple of notes.

WE JUST BEAT UNC ON NATIONAL TV FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS!!!!

1. **** all of you JG haters, he has really quietly done a more than solid job filling in for Reggie
2. Still think we need to push the tempo a little more
3. A couple of times in the first half, our PG (Scott or Larkin) was still dribbling with ball 30 feet from basket with like 13 seconds left in shot clock. Not good.
4. We continue to play great defense and just slow the game down to such a slow pace
5. UNC really isn't that good
6. Our FT shooting continues to scare me, good thing UNC shoots in the low 60's as a team, they really helped us, especially missing the front end of a 1&1 on an awful JG foul. Either team makes most of their FTs and it's a completely different game.
7. RB needs to continue to build his confidence and take quality shots like he did tonight
8. JG, wow. Old man at the Y quote was on point, lol.

I'm not sure what I would do if we made it to the sweet sixteen, let alone a final four. There were plenty of posters on here questioning if we could make it into the dance without Reggie for the bulk of our ACC schedule. Once Reggie comes back it's going to be a lot of fun to watch, we really are an old, experienced team with a lot of solid players; one of those teams that a lot of analysts like once it comes time to fill out your bracket. The fact that we have 6 or 7 players that can really step up on a given night is really something that may allow us to put together a run in the tourney, still, one game at a time.

This team has everything to make a run in the ncaa tourney. They play great defense, have size, can score in all types of ways, shooters(tmj, kadji,larkin, brown), creators(scott,larkin,tmj on a given night), and post. The only thing we are missing is depth. But when Reggie gets back we are beyond strong in our first 7. I think the other two bigs are capapble enough along with swoop though. Only problem is if one of our guards gets hurt. If not, the sky is the limit for this team. I knew it coming into the season but am beyond impressed with how this team is playing without Reggie

Advertisement
Just finished watching the game on DVR, a couple of notes.

WE JUST BEAT UNC ON NATIONAL TV FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS!!!!

1. **** all of you JG haters, he has really quietly done a more than solid job filling in for Reggie
2. Still think we need to push the tempo a little more
3. A couple of times in the first half, our PG (Scott or Larkin) was still dribbling with ball 30 feet from basket with like 13 seconds left in shot clock. Not good.
4. We continue to play great defense and just slow the game down to such a slow pace
5. UNC really isn't that good
6. Our FT shooting continues to scare me, good thing UNC shoots in the low 60's as a team, they really helped us, especially missing the front end of a 1&1 on an awful JG foul. Either team makes most of their FTs and it's a completely different game.
7. RB needs to continue to build his confidence and take quality shots like he did tonight
8. JG, wow. Old man at the Y quote was on point, lol.

I agree on all points except #2. UNC is a team that wants to run and is at its best when they run. Pushing the tempo would have fed right into their strength. Slowing the game down and limiting fast break opportunities helped us control the tempo of the game. Against other teams, though? Sure... I'd like to see up play with a little faster tempo.

Advertisement
Back