Huell/Hernandez not playing tonight

Advertisement
If ESPN's "possibility" that Hernandez might not play at all this season turns out to be true, we are a bottom-third ACC team. We won't have the interior size or rebounding to play with the top 10 teams in the league.

I take the Espn "reporting" with a grain of salt. They broke a story of the AZ coach recorded requesting 100k for Ayton and nothing came of it. We have no reason to think anything will come of the Huellnandez non-allegations either.

.We have no reason to think anything will come of the Huellnandez non-allegations either.
Other than what already happened: " he's missing in action. " If he is m.i.a. for the big Wooden tourney 11/22 versus Northwestern and Seton Hall (probably) our goose could be cooked even before Turkey Day.

P.S. Didn't like it at all when ESPN announcers last night actually implied Melendez-Gonzales is effectively accused of agreeing to the payola bait. Hope it is more like he didn't report it, or of course, knew nothing about it (is this doubtful?)

Advertisement
Whether Huellnandez will miss considerable time and whether he actually did anything wrong are two different questions. I don't think him missing the pre-Thanksgiving tournament would tell us anything about the legitimacy of the allegations. Dequan Jones lost most of his last season because Miami held him out even though the NCAA never formally alleged any wrongdoing on his part.

Whether Huellnandez will miss considerable time and whether he actually did anything wrong are two different questions. I don't think him missing the pre-Thanksgiving tournament would tell us anything about the legitimacy of the allegations. Dequan Jones lost most of his last season because Miami held him out even though the NCAA never formally alleged any wrongdoing on his part.
I was thinking Coach L surely (probably?) told compliance he "wants Dewan back badly for the pre-GooseDay tourney". A couple of tough games there for sure. (At least I hope he did.) I tend to think if he's not back for that, he may be m.i.a. a lonnnnng time/ :(

I was thinking Coach L surely (probably?) told compliance he "wants Dewan back badly for the pre-GooseDay tourney". A couple of tough games there for sure. (At least I hope he did.) I tend to think if he's not back for that, he may be m.i.a. a lonnnnng time/ :(

Coach L isn't telling compliance how to do their job (although he probably should be running the entire athletic department). He follows the rules the university sets.

So, let me get this straight. Coach L and the university were completely exonerated in the FBI probe and trial, while schools like KU, Duke, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, etc. have text and phone transcripts and the like implicating them all over the place, and our big man sits? Makes sense.

It's getting harder and harder to stay a fan of college sports for me, and the asymmetrical effect it always seems to have on the "U". Add to that the recent downward trends w the football and baseball programs, and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There's two more trials as I understand it which won't take place until next spring, if then; so Hernandez is screwed in all likelihood. Smh.

Advertisement
So, let me get this straight. Coach L and the university were completely exonerated in the FBI probe and trial, while schools like KU, Duke, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, etc. have text and phone transcripts and the like implicating them all over the place, and our big man sits? Makes sense.

It's getting harder and harder to stay a fan of college sports for me, and the asymmetrical effect it always seems to have on the "U". Add to that the recent downward trends w the football and baseball programs, and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There's two more trials as I understand it which won't take place until next spring, if then; so Hernandez is screwed in all likelihood. Smh.

IF this is true then we are better off letting him play and doing well in the tourney and land an elite recruiting class. Then worst case scenario they will remove they will eliminate those games from our record.

That is better than not playing Huell and potentially missing the tourney all together.

Advertisement
Hard to imagine Dewan being with the team on the bench if he wasn't planning on playing this year

One would hope but we don't know what the NCAA might have promised in the way of a quick resolution or some such bs.
I sure hope that is not what we are counting on.

Like we've been saying, Dewan needs to lawyer up. Tell Miami to either present evidence of him being paid, or reinstate.

I completely agree. I think the terms "slander" "defamation of character" and "emotional distress" are the terms the lawsuit would say to get people to move. It would be somewhat odd to sue the school and NCAA for eligibility then put on the uniform to play basketball games. However, his future in basketball is at stake so I think hiring a lawyer would be his best route.
Worst case scenario is that you settle the lawsuit after Miami pays his attorney fees and grants you eligibility.

I completely agree. I think the terms "slander" "defamation of character" and "emotional distress" are the terms the lawsuit would say to get people to move. It would be somewhat odd to sue the school and NCAA for eligibility then put on the uniform to play basketball games. However, his future in basketball is at stake so I think hiring a lawyer would be his best route.
Worst case scenario is that you settle the lawsuit after Miami pays his attorney fees and grants you eligibility.

Dequan Jones had to do this, only he waited far too long. Once he did, Miami folded like a cheap suit.

Huellnandez, if you're reading this...you need to make your move now. This is your contract year man!

Advertisement
Dequan Jones had to do this, only he waited far too long. Once he did, Miami folded like a cheap suit.

Huellnandez, if you're reading this...you need to make your move now. This is your contract year man!

Absolutely, Hernandez has a guaranteed contract at stake as he should be a first round pick if he has improved like we think he has. I find it interesting the Auburn is playing Austin Wiley after he sat out all of last season due to the FBI investigation.

One would hope but we don't know what the NCAA might have promised in the way of a quick resolution or some such bs.
I sure hope that is not what we are counting on.

There is no quick resolution to this bullchit. There is supposedly more stuff (with the DOJ) to come next year. What is stopping the NCAA from just waiting for that stuff?

There is no quick resolution to this bullchit. There is supposedly more stuff (with the DOJ) to come next year. What is stopping the NCAA from just waiting for that stuff?

I agree; we run the risk of Larranaga simply saying "***** this" at some point, if the school doesn't have his back (assuming there isn't more to this than we know). ****, the basketball program is more likely to make a Final Four before football or baseball contend again at the rate things are going.

I agree; we run the risk of Larranaga simply saying "***** this" at some point, if the school doesn't have his back (assuming there isn't more to this than we know). ****, the basketball program is more likely to make a Final Four before football or baseball contend again at the rate things are going.
aint ever happening. Coach L isnt interested in retiring.and won't coach anywhere else at this point in his life.

Advertisement
Back