Off-Topic Home Theater setups

IMO skip the TV and go projector/screen.

My setup:

Audio:
Pioneer Elite 9 channel Atmos receiver.
7.2.4 Onyx/Polk/SVS(subs) setup.
Emotiva power amps.

Video:
Big Epson 1080 projector (replacing with 4k soon)
120" Elite screen.

Sound/light control:
Homemade soundtraps
Blackening materials on walls/ceiling etc

My setup is 'modest' by most HT standards.

IMO Sound is the biggest consideration if you want 'movie theater' quality experience. That and light control.
Can I come over, please? I promise to bring some great Blu-rays and a nice scotch and/or bourbon.

Advertisement
It's funny you mention that. I love Pink Floyd and as I mentioned in my previous post, those Sansui speakers had a nice warmth to them. When listening to vinyl which usually also has a "warmth" to it, it's cliche but it is definitely the way it was made to be listened to.

One of my most profound recent memories (within the past decade) outside of the birth of my daughter was listening to Ray LaMontagne's Til the Sun Turn's Black on vinyl on a vintage Sansui turntable through a Sansui receiver all from 1978-ish. My grandfather had just passed and it's hard to describe but I was immediately transported to a different place. It was like sitting in a log cabin next to a warm fire with a cozy blanket on a dark stormy, cold night. It was pure sonic bliss.

As you mentioned, those speakers are probably not ideal for home theatre but they may be great for music. Those older speakers usually have a lot higher sensitivity so they are not as difficult to drive and get loud without having to crank the volume ****. As far as the TV, definitely go bigger. A 55" is only good if you're sitting less than 6ish ft away. This is a great tool to get an idea of viewing distance to TV size recommendation.

Regarding the receiver, it really comes down to the room correction software. I would recommend researching what models have the better room correction and going for those. That's the main reason I went with my Denon.
From the reviews I read, the DiracLive on the Pioneers is pretty good, but I didn't do alot of comparisons. Looks like Dirac is for people with more experience with AVRs. Their MCACC doesn't look promising. I currently have a Denon-s650h, but I wanted something with eARC and hdmi 2.1. I chose the Pioneer mostly to make sure streaming, gaming, and BluRays passed through, without going over $1,500.

Thanks for the link. Once I get moved into my new place I'll have a better idea of where everything is going to be placed in my living room, and if I end up mounting it on the wall or not.

Last edited:
From the reviews I read, the DiracLive on the Pioneers is pretty good, but I didn't do alot of comparisons. Looks like Dirac is for people with more experience with AVRs. Their MCACC doesn't look promising. I currently have a Denon-s650h, but I wanted something with eARC and hdmi 2.1. I chose the Pioneer mostly to make sure streaming, gaming, and BluRays passed through, without going over $1,500.

Thanks for the link. Once I get moved into my new place I'll have a better idea of where everything is going to be placed in my living room, and if I end up mounting it on the wall or not.
Dirac is certainly desirable. I'm guessing you have a dedicated room?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back