Highest paid coaches in CFB

Advertisement
Coaching in the SEC West pays very well.

None of those schools will probably win the division until Nick retires, but I'm not sure any of those coaches couod increase their salaries at other schools.

Texas boosters decide to get with the times & hires their 1st black head coach for 5.2 million/yr..

What could go wrong? He's a defensive genius.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Why taxpayers allow state schools to spend that much money on a state employee (yes, a head coach at a state school is technically a state employee) is beyond me. The state of Michigan can't even provide lead free water to people in inner city Detroit, but can pay Harbaugh 9 million dollars. Ridiculous. The HC salary should be capped at the governors salary, then if boosters want to pay 8 million per year on top of that, then that's their prerogative. Private schools should be uncapped in terms of actual salary, because it's not taxpayer funded. If I lived in Florida, I'd be ****ed that part of my sales tax was going to FSU and UF to pay for their head coaches.

Last edited:
Coach salaries are almost always paid by the athletic departments and or booster groups, not the taxpayers. I don't know the actual numbers, but a coach making $5,000,000 per year at a state school is probably being paid about $125,000 per year by the school and $4,825,000 from the boosters.

Why taxpayers allow state schools to spend that much money on a state employee (yes, a head coach at a state school is technically a state employee) is beyond me. The state of Michigan can't even provide lead free water to people in inner city Detroit, but can pay Harbaugh 9 million dollars. Ridiculous. The HC salary should be capped at the governors salary, then if boosters want to pay 8 million per year on top of that, then that's their prerogative. Private schools should be uncapped in terms of actual salary, because it's not taxpayer funded. If I lived in Florida, I'd be ****ed that part of my sales tax was going to FSU and UF to pay for their head coaches.

Maybe, but the **** poor leadership in Detroit for decades lead to that issue and the overall decay of the city.

Coach salaries are almost always paid by the athletic departments and or booster groups, not the taxpayers. I don't know the actual numbers, but a coach making $5,000,000 per year at a state school is probably being paid about $125,000 per year by the school and $4,825,000 from the boosters.

Your Tax Dollars Are Paying These College Coaches Millions -- The Motley Fool

True that a big portion of the salary is paid by sponsors, etc, but still an outsized portion of actual taxpayer money goes to the HC. I think this author makes the best point

Forbes Welcome

Public Schools that pay head coaches above what the highest paid non sports public employee is paid should not have non profit status unless the public is allowed to vote on allowing coaches to make more than the highest non sports employee. Private schools are exempt of course.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I mean I love college football, but Harbaugh getting paid 9mil is asinine, he's coaching college football!
Even worse is he got a 2mil raise, a raise of 2mil, FFS!

Where's the other 50,000 come from?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Hey will you look at this...someone with actual common sense.

I mean I love college football, but Harbaugh getting paid 9mil is asinine, he's coaching college football!
Even worse is he got a 2mil raise, a raise of 2mil, FFS!

You know what, though? He's worth every penny to that administration.

Advertisement
Back