Here is Florida's 5 Keys to the game

eleganttomcat

Junior
Just a little bit of their perspective on the game:

1. Contain "The Duke": The unquestionable star of Miami's offense is sophomore running back Duke Johnson. In his first game of the season, Johnson ran 19 times for 186 yards and one touchdown. He also caught one pass for 38 yards. That's beautiful on paper, but it came against a defense - Florida Atlantic - that allowed more than 300 yards rushing per game last season. Florida will be a staunch challenge for Johnson, especially if Dominique Easley and Co. have the kind of performance up front they had in week one.

2. Pound the rock: Florida's strategy on offense should look familiar Saturday. It's going to be a hot, humid, miserable day to be a defensive player, and the Gators have anywhere between four and five running backs -- not including Jeff Driskel -- they're comfortable giving carries. Regardless of what fans will scream for, this is another excuse for a run-heavy game. Miami allowed 217.92 yards per game on the ground last season - No. 114 in the nation - and gave up 133 yards to lowly FAU last weekend. Miami's secondary is loaded with top-tier talent, but its front seven is noticeably shaky against the run. That plays right into the Gators' hands.

3. Get physical with Miami's wide receivers: Expect a fairly conservative Florida offense Saturday, but don't be surprised if the Gators are more aggressive than usual defensively. Florida gave a taste of what it can do mixing up its 3-3-5 base defense and playing off the versatility of Dante Fowler Jr. and Ronald Powell against Toledo. With Loucheiz Purifoy back from suspension, the Gators have their most physical defensive back alongside a myriad of cornerbacks who specialize in press coverage. Look for the Gators to prey on freshman standout Stacy Coley, who showed noticeable nerves in his first game, and shoot to take away Miami's major big-play threats.

4. Keep composure: Saturday's "rivalry" feel has almost nothing to do with series history. The players on both sidelines are too young to remember the days when Florida-Miami actually meant something to the annual state of Florida football. But it will be a rehash of old high school rivalries for several players on both sides. Florida has 10 players whom played high school football in Broward or Miami-Dade County. Personal rivalries could be sparked on the field, and Will Muschamp has already stressed for his team to control its emotions.

5. Avoid costly mistakes on offense: Say what you will about the entertainment value Florida provides, but the Gators have a formula. Chances are, if Driskel and the offense don't turn the ball over Saturday, the Gators will win. The defense is good enough to assume that. Watching Florida is like watching a Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight. Everything the Gators do is calculated and tailored to win albeit in an unremarkable fashion. In week two, expect that kind of game for the Gators. No one will be blown away by Florida Saturday, but 2-0 is all Muschamp cares about.
- See more at: http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1544740#sthash.HIfkgSwj.dpuf

T-minus 70 hours until kickoff

Advertisement

1. Contain "The Duke": The unquestionable star of Miami's offense is sophomore running back Duke Johnson. In his first game of the season, Johnson ran 19 times for 186 yards and one touchdown. He also caught one pass for 38 yards. That's beautiful on paper, but it came against a defense - Florida Atlantic - that allowed more than 300 yards rushing per game last season. Florida will be a staunch challenge for Johnson, especially if Dominique Easley and Co. have the kind of performance up front they had in week one.

2. Pound the rock: Florida's strategy on offense should look familiar Saturday. It's going to be a hot, humid, miserable day to be a defensive player, and the Gators have anywhere between four and five running backs -- not including Jeff Driskel -- they're comfortable giving carries. Regardless of what fans will scream for, this is another excuse for a run-heavy game. Miami allowed 217.92 yards per game on the ground last season - No. 114 in the nation - and gave up 133 yards to lowly FAU last weekend. Miami's secondary is loaded with top-tier talent, but its front seven is noticeably shaky against the run. That plays right into the Gators' hands.

3. Get physical with Miami's wide receivers: Expect a fairly conservative Florida offense Saturday, but don't be surprised if the Gators are more aggressive than usual defensively. Florida gave a taste of what it can do mixing up its 3-3-5 base defense and playing off the versatility of Dante Fowler Jr. and Ronald Powell against Toledo. With Loucheiz Purifoy back from suspension, the Gators have their most physical defensive back alongside a myriad of cornerbacks who specialize in press coverage. Look for the Gators to prey on freshman standout Stacy Coley, who showed noticeable nerves in his first game, and shoot to take away Miami's major big-play threats.

4. Keep composure: Saturday's "rivalry" feel has almost nothing to do with series history. The players on both sidelines are too young to remember the days when Florida-Miami actually meant something to the annual state of Florida football. But it will be a rehash of old high school rivalries for several players on both sides. Florida has 10 players whom played high school football in Broward or Miami-Dade County. Personal rivalries could be sparked on the field, and Will Muschamp has already stressed for his team to control its emotions.

5. Avoid costly mistakes on offense: Say what you will about the entertainment value Florida provides, but the Gators have a formula. Chances are, if Driskel and the offense don't turn the ball over Saturday, the Gators will win. The defense is good enough to assume that. Watching Florida is like watching a Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight. Everything the Gators do is calculated and tailored to win albeit in an unremarkable fashion. In week two, expect that kind of game for the Gators. No one will be blown away by Florida Saturday, but 2-0 is all Muschamp cares about.
- See more at: http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1544740#sthash.HIfkgSwj.dpuf

T-minus 70 hours until kickoff

50 of those yards were on the last drive where Miami was content to let FAU run clock.

50 of those yards were on the last drive where Miami was content to let FAU run clock.

Also, old post I had below (What Curtis Porter does to our defense).

Curtis Porter played in the last four games of the season and was not in the best "shape."

First 8 Games Scoring Avg/Per Game: 32.38
Last 4 Games Scoring Avg/Per Game: 26.75

First 8 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 249.25
Last 4 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 155.25

Now I understand the opponents (SOS) were not the same in the first 8 games v. the last 4 games, but my point is to illustrate that with Curtis Porter (i.e. a pretty good DT) the quality of play around him improves because of his skill.

As a whole, we averaged 1.08 Sacks Per Game and 4.42 TFL Per Game. Something tells me if he is healthy, that will increase dramatically.

FAU had 117 yards passing. How's that measure up?
Lol at Florida being Florida

Incredible vacillation between useful assessment and using a fanboy's hype video as scouting footage. Often in the same sentence.

Advertisement
anyone that uses the first game against a weak component for any measuring stick baffles me.

Even Toledo for Florida or Pitt against FSU or Miami vs FAU

coaches try new things, some players are rusty etc.

the ONLy thing we got out of this week

UF: they have a good running game with or without their starter

FSU: a QB that cane become an elite QB fast! (lets hope he is so good he gets drafted after sophomore year)

Miami: Duke is still Duke

that is it! rest is all bs

So, our 300 yards against lowly FAU is "beautiful on paper" but the GAYtors holding Toledo in check is that much more impressive?

Pot, kettle anyone?

Advertisement

Curtis Porter played in the last four games of the season and was not in the best "shape."

Now I understand the opponents (SOS) were not the same in the first 8 games v. the last 4 games, but my point is to illustrate that with Curtis Porter (i.e. a pretty good DT) the quality of play around him improves because of his skill.

As a whole, we averaged 1.08 Sacks Per Game and 4.42 TFL Per Game. Something tells me if he is healthy, that will increase dramatically.

how many sacks did we have against BCC last year?

I think (hope?) Stacey Coley will light their asses up. Kid is a baller - a true difference maker - and I believe the Gates are mistaken if they think they can bully him. All signs point to last week as a fluke for SC and he's the type that will make us forget it quickly.

I'm feelin' a coming out party for him at Florida's expense.

Advertisement
anyone that uses the first game against a weak component for any measuring stick baffles me ... the ONLy thing we got out of this week ...

FSU: a QB that cane become an elite QB fast! (lets hope he is so good he gets drafted after sophomore year)

Let's hope he is exposed as a fraud when met with a real pass rush and actual coverage and that game goes down as a monumental fluke to start off a bust career. Or let's hope he looks like the next Marino in every game except every UM/FSU in which we make him look like a potato. Or let him realize his school sucks and transfer to Michigan. I can think of many better "hopes" than yours, but I get your point.

how many sacks did we have against BCC last year?

http://hurricanesports.com/fls/28700/pdfs/football/UMFB12_Gamebook_03BCU.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=28700

anyone that uses the first game against a weak component for any measuring stick baffles me ... the ONLy thing we got out of this week ...

Let's hope he is exposed as a fraud when met with a real pass rush and actual coverage and that game goes down as a monumental fluke to start off a bust career. Or let's hope he looks like the next Marino in every game except every UM/FSU in which we make him look like a potato. Or let him realize his school sucks and transfer to Michigan. I can think of many better "hopes" than yours, but I get your point.

So, you're hoping he'll be another Chris Rix. I'm cool with that.

Advertisement
I didn't realize how pathetic Pitts D was. WRs were so open it was amazing. Ima give the kid credit on the road first start. It may turn out like Jacory first game of 2009 v FSU....we know the rest

Advertisement
Back