Help me out with some numbers, please.

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo
With everybody getting an extra year, and the signees and transfers we have coming in, how are we making room? Are the FWO's losing their scholly's next year? Anyone being pushed out? IC's? Blueshirts? I'm having trouble figuring it all out!

Advertisement
Me too, I think what happens is when a player leaves early, like Phillips, we can add someone up to the 85 limit. It is really confusing. Maybe someone smarter than me will say something. I have seen some teams lose 4 or 5 players early, it has happened to us a few times. You can not get the initial scholarship back but can use the spot, I think.
But I am pretty sure you can not exceed the 85 scholarship limit

I do not what the **** there doing this year,2020 was so messed up I don’t what the NCAAF is doing allowing everyone an extra year, that is weird.

Me too, I think what happens is when a player leaves early, like Phillips, we can add someone up to the 85 limit. It is really confusing. Maybe someone smarter than me will say something. I have seen some teams lose 4 or 5 players early, it has happened to us a few times. You can not get the initial scholarship back but can use the spot, I think.
But I am pretty sure you can not exceed the 85 scholarship limit
They may need to relax the 85 limit of a couple years til the waters settle down.

With everybody getting an extra year, and the sAignees and transfers we have coming in, how are we making room? Are the FWO's losing their scholly's next year? Anyone being pushed out? IC's? Blueshirts? I'm having trouble figuring it all out!

COUNTERS: For the 85 rule, anyone who "was otherwise in their final year of eligibility" in 2020 is "exempt" from the 85 counter rule. I did the math at one point, and I think we had 11 guys who were going into their final year of eligibility in 2020, so we could conceivably carry 96 counters next year, because UP TO 11 would be exempt. Of course, some of those seniors will go in the draft or transfer out, so expect us to have between 85 and 95 recruited scholarship players as counters next year.

IC RULES: This issue is still developing. FOR NOW, we signed 21 kids in December, thus we have 3 more ICs under the current rules. Many people expect SOME SORT OF RELIEF on the IC rules that will un-freeze the Transfer Portal. As it currently stands, most schools have MOSTLY filled their IC numbers with HS kids, so there's not a lot of room left for transfers. One of two basic approaches may be employed for 2021. Either the NCAA will grant some sort of blanket "IC increase" that will apply to every school equally, or else they will have a more targeted approach that tries to address the Portal issue. Whatever happens, we can still expect SOMETHING that allows us to bring in more than 24 new players (including HS enrollees and transfers) for the 2021 cycle (and possibly the 2022 cycle).

Here are some guesses at the current time:

--I do not think Miami needs to push out any currently enrolled players FOR NOW due to the 85 counter rule not really being a hard-cap for 2021. Of course, we may need to push out a bunch of guys a year from now. Cross that bridge when we get to it.

--I do not think we will need to blueshirt anyone into 2022 ASSUMING we get enough Transfer IC relief. As it stands, 21 of our 24 ICs are ineligible to blueshirt because they signed LOIs in December. A true blueshirt would need to wait until mid-August to sign an LOI, so we don't have many remaining names we could even blueshirt.

--The real wildcard is if any current roster players decide to transfer out of Miami, particularly kids we weren't really expecting. For instance, a lot of people might project N'Kosi to leave, due to playing time/depth chart. But what if Keshawn decides to leave the WR corps when we really weren't expecting that. So, you might see this "projection" of who we should take from the Portal change if we get some unexpected departures. Look, we know we need DEs because of Rousseau and Phillips and Roche leaving, but we might have some new needs if young guys decide to leave us in a lurch.

Advertisement
COUNTERS: For the 85 rule, anyone who "was otherwise in their final year of eligibility" in 2020 is "exempt" from the 85 counter rule. I did the math at one point, and I think we had 11 guys who were going into their final year of eligibility in 2020, so we could conceivably carry 96 counters next year, because UP TO 11 would be exempt. Of course, some of those seniors will go in the draft or transfer out, so expect us to have between 85 and 95 recruited scholarship players as counters next year.

IC RULES: This issue is still developing. FOR NOW, we signed 21 kids in December, thus we have 3 more ICs under the current rules. Many people expect SOME SORT OF RELIEF on the IC rules that will un-freeze the Transfer Portal. As it currently stands, most schools have MOSTLY filled their IC numbers with HS kids, so there's not a lot of room left for transfers. One of two basic approaches may be employed for 2021. Either the NCAA will grant some sort of blanket "IC increase" that will apply to every school equally, or else they will have a more targeted approach that tries to address the Portal issue. Whatever happens, we can still expect SOMETHING that allows us to bring in more than 24 new players (including HS enrollees and transfers) for the 2021 cycle (and possibly the 2022 cycle).

Here are some guesses at the current time:

--I do not think Miami needs to push out any currently enrolled players FOR NOW due to the 85 counter rule not really being a hard-cap for 2021. Of course, we may need to push out a bunch of guys a year from now. Cross that bridge when we get to it.

--I do not think we will need to blueshirt anyone into 2022 ASSUMING we get enough Transfer IC relief. As it stands, 21 of our 24 ICs are ineligible to blueshirt because they signed LOIs in December. A true blueshirt would need to wait until mid-August to sign an LOI, so we don't have many remaining names we could even blueshirt.

--The real wildcard is if any current roster players decide to transfer out of Miami, particularly kids we weren't really expecting. For instance, a lot of people might project N'Kosi to leave, due to playing time/depth chart. But what if Keshawn decides to leave the WR corps when we really weren't expecting that. So, you might see this "projection" of who we should take from the Portal change if we get some unexpected departures. Look, we know we need DEs because of Rousseau and Phillips and Roche leaving, but we might have some new needs if young guys decide to leave us in a lurch.
Kids will be leaving too, the portal giveth, the portal taketh away

Kids will be leaving too, the portal giveth, the portal taketh away

Yeah. That's why I wanted to differentiate between, say, a guy that most fans would LIKE to see hit the Portal (Dee Wiggins) and a guy that Miami fans want to STAY (like any cornerback on the roster at all).

So I just crunched some numbers, and AS OF THIS MOMENT with the current roster plus the 2021 class, we have 98 players on scholly's.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah. That's why I wanted to differentiate between, say, a guy that most fans would LIKE to see hit the Portal (Dee Wiggins) and a guy that Miami fans want to STAY (like any cornerback on the roster at all).
I’m intrigued to watch the wr group , not just the two everyone is hoping for

With everybody getting an extra year, and the signees and transfers we have coming in, how are we making room? Are the FWO's losing their scholly's next year? Anyone being pushed out? IC's? Blueshirts? I'm having trouble figuring it all out!
They are going to raise the 85 number - have to really. What I don’t get is what they’ll do to the IC number because transfers are a reality also.

Advertisement
They are going to raise the 85 number - have to really. What I don’t get is what they’ll do to the IC number because transfers are a reality also.
Staffs do have a clue now, it just needs voted on. The ic’s will go up and I imagine 100 is the number to carry. They also have to do some kind of lose one, gain one type ****. There’s going to be a thousand kids out there and not enough homes if they don’t.

Advertisement
Staffs do have a clue now, it just needs voted on. The ic’s will go up and I imagine 100 is the number to carry. They also have to do some kind of lose one, gain one type ****. There’s going to be a thousand kids out there and not enough homes if they don’t.
it’s a weird situation. if they mean it that they want to give another year of eligibility to kids because of covid they would have to add a lot to the 85 - 100 is probably right - but transfers are a hard solve. count them outside the ICs and top teams will cut dead wood and poach transfers - count them in the Ics and they’ve significantly reduced the number of scholarships available for Hs kids and / or the spots available for transfers.

my guess is some jerry rigged in between rule. maybe up to X transfers don’t count as ICs. making senior transfers count but not underclass transfers (as some have said is being considered) makes no sense to me.

probably just ask yourself what rule nick saban wants and that’ll be the answer.

So I just crunched some numbers, and AS OF THIS MOMENT with the current roster plus the 2021 class, we have 99 players on scholly's.
I counted 99 also 98 plus Hillary who just said he’s rejoining the team. I included all walk ons who were given scholarships going into 2020. 22 guys already committed plus what we have now.

You have to assume ex walk ons (Few, Lugo-***undo, Burrows, Price, Griffith, Parrott, Scibelli, maybe Ragone) won’t have scholarships next year. So that leaves roughly 6-7 guys who leave. My guesses are Joyner, Perry, Ford, Jarrid Williams, El Gammal, Worsham, maybe Burns. Hopefully guys like Jennings, Carter, McCloud, Pope, Wiggins, Gaynor won’t be back. I’m also not taking into consideration guys like Bolden, Jordan, Nesta, and Harley who are all deciding on the NFL.

I’m guessing Miami will go after a portal WR, OL, DE, LB, and 1-2 CB’s once the IC’s go up.

it’s a weird situation. if they mean it that they want to give another year of eligibility to kids because of covid they would have to add a lot to the 85 - 100 is probably right - but transfers are a hard solve. count them outside the ICs and top teams will cut dead wood and poach transfers - count them in the Ics and they’ve significantly reduced the number of scholarships available for Hs kids and / or the spots available for transfers.

my guess is some jerry rigged in between rule. maybe up to X transfers don’t count as ICs. making senior transfers count but not underclass transfers (as some have said is being considered) makes no sense to me.

probably just ask yourself what rule nick saban wants and that’ll be the answer.
I think a combo route would make sense - for example something like you can take up to 28 kids a year as ICs, but no more than 25 can be high school kids and no more than 6 be portal so if you want 6 transfers, then you can only take 22 high school kids. The exact numbers can be different than that, but something to allow some more flexibility w/o turning the transfer portal into free agency more than it already is.

I think they need to have some type of exception this year since none of these rules were clarified and there are so many kids in the portal.

Smith and Redding are the 2 I worry about,especially Smith being so far away from home and not getting a fair shot so far.

Will be livid if the staff lets Smith leaves. Looks like a speed demon out there and potential stud. Wish he got way more playing time then he did, SMH

Wiggins, Pope, Payton can all go (yes I've given up on payton. Showed literally nothing in the snaps he got this year). Daz could be on the potential portal list if he doesnt think he'll crack the line-up anytime soon if most if not all WRs returning and 3 more freshman coming in but thats pure speculation

Advertisement
Back