Has the game passed Richt by that quickly

All ACC
Premium
We all know the games changed in a lot of ways but it's crazy to think Richt was an elite play caller in his previous stops

"In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7]"

This is the same guy that had an offense good enough to win two and play in three SEC championships in his first 6 seasons at UGA.

So I ask the film heads who were posting about his philosophy following the hire:

Is Richt running the same scheme he has in the past? If he is, what is it about modern defenses that turned this guys elite offense into crap?

Advertisement
Maybe there is a reason UGA forced him to stop calling plays. I'm sure they didn't take that decision lightly.

And this is where I feel the most silly about this all. I, like a simple optimist, was certain Richt was unjustly asked to hand over play calling duties because of a clueless, micromanaging AD. When in reality it was because of what we're seeing on Saturday.

Last edited:
We all know the games changed in a lot of ways but it's crazy to think Richt was an elite play caller in his previous stops

"In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7]"

This is the same guy that had an offense good enough to win two and play in three SEC championships in his first 6 seasons at UGA.

So I ask the film heads who were posting about his philosophy following the hire:

Is Richt running the same scheme he has in the past? If he is, what is it about modern defenses that turned this guys elite offense into crap?

Richt ran a system he wasn't an architect of. He was only the QB coach when Ward was there and they won. Brad Scott, was the brains behind fast break.

It's almost like Baylor now if you will. Jim Grobe is running Briles system and eating off of it, but it's a system he inherited and is running with. True, Richt won a NC with Weinke but --

As unfair as it is, I keep thinking about Richt's last game as FSU's coordinator: The National Championship against Oklahoma -- a game FSU should've won (well, let me correct myself, a game we should have won, but that's another story), but they struggle to score on Offense.

That's who I'm beginning to think Richt is.

Last edited:

Richt ran a system he wasn't an architect of. He was only the QB coach when Ward was there and they won. Brad Scott, was the brains behind fast break.

It's almost like Baylor now if you will. Jim Grobe is running Briles system and eating off of it, but it's a system he inherited and is running with.

It's unfair, but I keep thinking about Richt's last game as FSU's coordinator: The National Championship against Oklahoma -- a game FSU should've won (well, let me correct myself, a game we should have won, but that's another story), but they struggle to score on Offense.

That's who I'm beginning to think Richt is.

Amazing point. He hopped on to a well oiled machine. The guy has free reign to run whatever he wants and has us lining up like we are 1967 Ohio State.

Advertisement
Kaaya is not getting the system

I like Kaaya. Not going to throw him under the bus but it's frustrating to see him run off tackle after he hands off like he's fooling someone. That's not Brads fault. It's the play call and how it's suppose to be executed. For those of you that have been saying that the qb option is not part of this playbook are wrong.

A mobile qb would have had what 5-10 carries yesterday? Easily

Not Brads fault, he's a pocket passer with little mobility.

The main thing im disappointed in is the fact that Richt won call plays that are suited for the personnel on the field.

Go ahead everyone and say.......the qb option is not part of Richts RPO

Waiting......

Even when u take in fact he wasn't architect, that was **** near 20 years ago.. You cannot in this day n age line up and just outtalent people.. FSU was more talented than every team in ACC by large margin. You can't I form and line up and pound teams, you have to put up points. Even the standard which is saban has adjusted his philosophy and become more spread oriented in recent years...

We sound like GT being married to outdated "prostyle"

Richt was cutting edge 20 years ago. Times have changed. What he did 20 years ago isn't innovative today. He needs talented kids, execution, and some playmakers at QB, RB, and/or WR.

I think Kaaya is a really good game manager. And this offense would look much better if you added a guy like Dorsett at WR and a Duke or Lamar at RB. But I don't think Kaaya is a "playmaker".

None of that is meant to say the game has passed him by. But this team will look more like Michigan State, Michigan, UGA, Arkansas, and Wisconsin than Clemson, Ohio State, Houston, Baylor, or WVU.

Richt's offense looks like the 48 year old guy at the club who still thinks he can pull high end 20-something talent.

Advertisement
He hasn't called plays in 10 years. His offense at UGA even when he did call plays wasn't some high powered machine.

His need for elite talent makes him no different than the last few coaches we had.

The last thing this team needed was another another coach that needs a loaded roster to win.

Richt needs to hire an OC from the 21st century.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back