Harrison-hunte

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami was mentally not in the UNC game. IT WAS CLEAR. Something was terribly wrong. It wasn't scheme, it wasn't players ability.

They mentally were not in the game. It was obvious. No defense is immune to getting gashed in todays college football. Brent Venable's defense will get gashed at times, Nick Saban's defense will get gashed, Kirby Smart's defense will get gashed at times. Those teams all have better players than we do.

We faced arguably the best offense in college football loaded with NFL skill talent, one of the best QB's in college football, and we were not focused and mentally prepared. UNC had basically 2 weeks to get ready, and they played a great game. Manny has taken blame as to not have his players prepared.

Manny's defense since he has been at Miami in 2016 has ranked basically 2nd in most categories behind Clemson defensively in the ACC.

This year he loses his best player, his LB group, his best CB...as the season went on the defense got better, but then I do think COVID hit that side of the ball hard not only with players but with coaches. It culminated with the worst defensive performance in Miami history.

I am not opposed to switching up the defensive side of the ball in regards to coaching staff, but this season has been unique.

Miami was ranked #13 in total defense last season. I know I know trash coaches trash scheme. The same "scheme" held UNC to 97 yards rushing last year.

Respectfully disagree. I saw those DEs pinching down the whole game while the. DTs were shooting gaps and the LBs were covering inside and too slow to get outside on the stretch zone runs. It was never corrected the whole game. Just shocking how badly Baker called that game. One could say he threw it. It was that bad.

Miami was mentally not in the UNC game. IT WAS CLEAR. Something was terribly wrong. It wasn't scheme, it wasn't players ability.

They mentally were not in the game. It was obvious. No defense is immune to getting gashed in todays college football. Brent Venable's defense will get gashed at times, Nick Saban's defense will get gashed, Kirby Smart's defense will get gashed at times. Those teams all have better players than we do.

We faced arguably the best offense in college football loaded with NFL skill talent, one of the best QB's in college football, and we were not focused and mentally prepared. UNC had basically 2 weeks to get ready, and they played a great game. Manny has taken blame as to not have his players prepared.

Manny's defense since he has been at Miami in 2016 has ranked basically 2nd in most categories behind Clemson defensively in the ACC.

This year he loses his best player, his LB group, his best CB...as the season went on the defense got better, but then I do think COVID hit that side of the ball hard not only with players but with coaches. It culminated with the worst defensive performance in Miami history.

I am not opposed to switching up the defensive side of the ball in regards to coaching staff, but this season has been unique.

Miami was ranked #13 in total defense last season. I know I know trash coaches trash scheme. The same "scheme" held UNC to 97 yards rushing last year.
Perhaps you didn't know what you were looking at then.

It was a scheme and technique issue, clear as day.

DE's running up-field and poor gap integrity are something we saw all season. Were the players heads not in the Louisville game either?

Last edited:
Advertisement
You obviously didn't know what you were looking at then.

DE's running up-field and poor gap integrity are something we saw all season. Were the players heads not in the Louisville game either?
Oh I know exactly what I was looking at.
If you want to tell me the DE’s were looking for stats I will agree with that.

I mean yeah definitely something weird went on before that game. It looked like we threw the game on purpose, that’s how bad it was.

Oh I know exactly what I was looking at.
If you want to tell me the DE’s were looking for stats I will agree with that.
But that's the scheme we sell ourselves on. Stats. TFL's. Sacks.

Our whole scheme upfront is predicated on "cReAtiNg ChAoS" i.e. running up-field.

And if you watch the game again, you'll see that running up-field was one of our main problems. (along with alignment)

So...
That's a scheme issue.

Advertisement
Perhaps you didn't know what you were looking at then.

Why can't it be both? Poor scheme/preparation and a team that wasn't ready to fight.

Advertisement
Back