Gut check in Blacksburg, they found a way...

k9cane

Senior
Wasn't perfect, but guess what, this year, it's all about finding a way and racking up wins and changing the culture of the program and the perception of it. Last year, they fold their tent in the 3rd quarter. Once again King was big late, and defense was really stout in the 4th, once again

Jaelen Phillips and T'Cory Couch were unreal. Phillips, this is the guy that was so highly touted a few years ago. Believe the hype. Couch, I mentioned this last week, he is our best corner and one of our best players on D. A standout was born today with 23. Forget Terence Crawford or Errol Spence, he's my favorite welterweight

Offensively, they scuffled, and I didnt understand what Lashlee was doing at times. But King again, made all the plays when they needed it. Y'know Wiggins had a nice day, but he'll always frustrate us with the plays he leaves on the table.

Didnt like the fake field goal or chasing points, it nearly cost us. Yet that kicking game once again was so key. Hedley had some unreal placement punts that really were key in the 4thd

These mental errors (like Bolden's penalty on the Phillips sack) are inexcusable, I get the sense Diaz's teams will always be a tad undisciplined

No, it's not perfect, but as @Lance Roffers said it's progression -- which is important. And you know what they say about winning, it beats losing

7-1, honestly, don't it feel great? Lets just enjoy it..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Wasn't perfect, but guess what, this year, it's all about finding a way and racking up wins and changing the culture of the program and the perception of it. Last year, they fold their tent in the 3rd quarter. Once again King was big late, and defense was really stout in the 4th, once again

Jaelen Phillips and T'Cory Couch were unreal. Phillips, this is the guy that was so highly touted a few years ago. Believe the hype. Couch, I mentioned this last week, he is our best corner and one of our best players on D. A standout was born today with 23. Forget Terence Crawford or Errol Spence, he's my favorite welterweight

Offensively, they scuffled, and I didnt understand what Lashlee was doing at times. But King again, made all the plays when they needed it. Y'know Wiggins had a nice day, but he'll always frustrate us with the plays he leaves on the table.

Didnt like the fake field goal or chasing points, it nearly cost us. Yet that kicking game once again was so key. Hedley had some unreal placement punts that really were key in the 4thd

These mental errors (like Bolden's penalty on the Phillips sack) are inexcusable, I get the sense Diaz's teams will always be a tad undisciplined

No, it's not perfect, but as @Lance Roffers said it's progression -- which is important. And you know what they say about winning, it beats losing

7-1, honestly, don't it feel great? Lets just enjoy it..
Speaking of Boxing. Are we gonna get a Tank versus Lopez fight in the next 2 years. I miss the prime time Hagler vs Hearns or Leondard vs Hearns type of fighters. Boxing could become great again.

BTW, another thing, Don Chaney needs to be our 4th quarter closer at RB. I know his shoulder might be an issue and he's on a pitch count, but he is the most complete package we have at that position right now...
Agreed Cam has zero flexibility. I am like what the **** do are you that stiff. He should have made that play!

Speaking of Boxing. Are we gonna get a Tank versus Lopez fight in the next 2 years. I miss the prime time Hagler vs Hearns or Leondard vs Hearns type of fighters. Boxing could become great again.

JW, I certainly hope so but I get the sense Mayweather isn't going to let Tank anywhere near Teo(who Ive been high on for awhile). But yeah, boxing has a real issue -- unlike the UFC our game doesn't get as many of the coveted fights as they do. And it's getting old

***** all the fans who will complain about this win. Let’s keep it real, we lose this game last year! I LOVE this win! I don’t care how we won it! Manny has these guys believing and I love it! Beating VT in Blacksburg is never a negative. GO CANES!!

This isnt' the year to worry about style points and blowouts. 2020 is just about resetting the standards of the program and creating some real momentum moving forward. Many of Butch Davis' early wins weren't exactly Mona Lisa's or Illmatics

Advertisement
This is the type of game we've found a way to lose in some form or fashion over the last 15 years.

A surprising win. We have a lot of things to improve on, yes, but I'd rather be 7-1 and working on improving instead of our usual 4-4 by this point.

BTW, another thing, Don Chaney needs to be our 4th quarter closer at RB. I know his shoulder might be an issue and he's on a pitch count, but he is the most complete package we have at that position right now...
difficult to think of many carries he's gotten this year where he didn't get more than what was blocked. tough, tough runner

This is the type of game we've found a way to lose in some form or fashion over the last 15 years.

A surprising win. We have a lot of things to improve on, yes, but I'd rather be 7-1 and working on improving instead of our usual 4-4 by this point.

This is the type of year where you just worry about the results, rack up wins, secure the recruiting class -- get better in the off-season. I mean, yeah, today was frustrating in so many ways, but look at how much better we feel after a win, rather than a loss. Especially after last years debacle...

Advertisement
Can we not do it the other way round?

Start with Chaney and get out to a lead, then close with a lesser RB.

Advertisement
Back