Greg Vaughn - 1986 Canes

SFbayCane

All American
Does anyone remember Greg Vaughn? He played one season for the Canes in (I wanna say) 1986. He was a first round draft pick.

If so, do you remember what jersey number he wore? I cannot seem to find any info or pics of him in a Canes uniform. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
1622661104905.png

That 86 team was legit. Think they finished 3rd at the CWS. Beat the National Champs (Arizona) there but lost to F'ing FSU twice.

Advertisement
I remember him. Think he played CF.

Vague recollection was that he was pretty good, but I don't know how good.

Also remember that he was one of a small number of Blacks on the team. I don't follow it s much now, but it seemed that college baseball did not attract many Black athletes. Is it the same in pro baseball?

I think city kids might gravitate more to basketball and football.

EDIT: I just looked up Greg Vaughn and had completely forgot that he had a big time career in MLB. I don't follow professional baseball at all...not at all. Since it was thirty years ago, I forgot that I was aware that Greg had a very big year in 1998, hitting 50 HR, with a career total of 355. Four time All Star.

I think I knew about the 50 HR at the time, but have since forgotten. Like I said, I don't follow any pro sports anymore. I only really follow UM football and I have followed basketball and baseball to a lesser extent. I would really only remember a UM player for Vaughn for his time at Miami, not MLB.

He's currently a vintner in California. (You'll probably have to sign up for a free account to read this article.)

https://theathletic.com/2590004/202...reatest-compliment-robin-yount-ever-gave-him/

I looked around for a picture of him in UM uniform. Couldn't find it. Maybe they put his picture in one of the yearly baseball media guides. They often do that to publicize grads who have moved on to outstanding careers. I don't know if UM has any other alum with a 50 HR season in the majors.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think you are correct, while he was beyond, Berg, Brewer, and Neu, to compare him to Tony Jenkins would be unfair.

I remember him. Think he played CF.

Vague recollection was that he was pretty good, but I don't know how good.

Also remember that he was one of a small number of Blacks on the team. I don't follow it s much now, but it seemed that college baseball did not attract many Black athletes. Is it the same in pro baseball?

I think city kids might gravitate more to basketball and football.

EDIT: I just looked up Greg Vaughn and had completely forgot that he had a big time career in MLB. I don't follow professional baseball at all...not at all. Since it was thirty years ago, I forgot that I was aware that Greg had a very big year in 1998, hitting 50 HR, with a career total of 355. Four time All Star.

I think I knew about the 50 HR at the time, but have since forgotten. Like I said, I don't follow any pro sports anymore. I only really follow UM football and I have followed basketball and baseball to a lesser extent. I would really only remember a UM player for Vaughn for his time at Miami, not MLB.

He's currently a vintner in California. (You'll probably have to sign up for a free account to read this article.)

https://theathletic.com/2590004/202...reatest-compliment-robin-yount-ever-gave-him/

I looked around for a picture of him in UM uniform. Couldn't find it. Maybe they put his picture in one of the yearly baseball media guides. They often do that to publicize grads who have moved on to outstanding careers. I don't know if UM has any other alum with a 50 HR season in the majors.
I think Ryan Braun is the only other person to even hit 40+

Good stuff to everyone in this thread. @TheMatador thanks for the look up. Yes, Greg Vaughn was drafted in the 1st round, #4 overall in 1986. @neilrogers99 - Yes, he's from Sacramento and played JuCo ball before going to UM for one year.

Greg Vaughn and I are members of the same premium wine club here in Sacramento. I've chatted with him a few times but he never knew I was a Canes fan before tonight. He just launched his own wine label called GV23 (his MLB number). He sponsored a tasting at a local event this evening. The wines were meh, but I did enjoy getting to BS with him for a bit.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Greg Vaughn? He played one season for the Canes in (I wanna say) 1986. He was a first round draft pick.

If so, do you remember what jersey number he wore? I cannot seem to find any info or pics of him in a Canes uniform. Any info is greatly appreciated.

If you blow up the picture I posted, his uniform number is twenty...something. Given that he usually wore 23 in MLB, that would be a good guess for his uniform number.

Subsequently, the number 23 was worn by Charles Johnson and is now a retired number.

Unfortunately, Greg's one year at UM was the semester before I enrolled, so I never got a chance to see him play. I do remember some comments during my freshman year (1986-1987) about how we had a really good player in the prior year who was drafted very high.

Something for people to consider...Alex Fernandez also played ONE year at Miami (he enrolled in 1988 and played the 1989 season) before transferring to Miami-Dade so that he could be drafted after his second year in college (if he stayed at UM, he would have only been draft-eligible after his third year). Alex was drafted...fourth overall...and is a member of the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

So...one year at UM...drafted fourth overall...sounds like Greg Vaughn should be in the UM Sports Hall of Fame. ****, he PLAYED in more games at UM than Alex Fernandez did...

There has to be more to this story, because I have looked at several UM baseball media guides, and I see zero-point-zero pictures of Greg. He is only referenced as a 1986 statistical leader (12 home runs).

Advertisement

Kind of ironic because the year before we signed Ricky Vaughan but he got arrested and was sent to the Cal State Penal league.

@TheOriginalCane - Great stuff. Thanks. I too could not find any decent (UM related) info on Greg Vaughn. It does appear that the number in the pic you posted in #24. I'll have to ask him when I see him next.

Good analogy with Alex Fernandez. I remember that one.

@TheOriginalCane - Great stuff. Thanks. I too could not find any decent (UM related) info on Greg Vaughn. It does appear that the number in the pic you posted in #24. I'll have to ask him when I see him next.

Good analogy with Alex Fernandez. I remember that one.

Yeah, if we had an AD who actually cared about UM's history and traditions, we would do more outreach to the alums, no matter how long/short they were at UM.

Next step I would love to see at the Hecht is building an "Alumni Lounge". Set it up so that all of the UM sports alums could loan/donate pictures, old uniforms, sports memorabilia, etc. Alums could "hang out" there and "bump into" recruits whenever they are passing through. UM students and alums could "accidentally" get selfies and autographs. Sports alums could use the space to publicize their ventures, like Greg Vaughn doing a wine-tasting/offering for the East Coast.

Advertisement
Good stuff to everyone in this thread. @TheMatador thanks for the look up. Yes, Greg Vaughn was drafted in the 1st round, #4 overall in 1986. @neilrogers99 - Yes, he's from Sacramento and played JuCo ball before going to UM for one year.

Greg Vaughn and I are members of the same premium wine club here in Sacramento. I've chatted with him a few times but he never knew I was a Canes fan before tonight. He just launched his own wine label called GV23 (his MLB number). He sponsored a tasting at a local event this evening. The wines were meh, but I did enjoy getting to BS with him for a bit.

Hopefully you guys can figure out who played 15 years in the Bigs and who the wino/engineering nerd is. :haha-smiley: (Greg autographed my bottle "Go Canes")

View attachment 147306
That is awesome man, good for you. He looks like he could still drop bombs

I think only like 17 or 18 guys in the history of major league baseball have ever hit 50 home runs in a season. That's an epic accomplishment.

Advertisement
Back