Great Win and we are 4-0--I love it, BUT Richt

LOL at "hiding the playbook". This was a conference game against a reasonably tough opponent and we had 2 weeks to prepare. Richt wasn't hiding anything. There is no super secret playbook that he is saving just for FSU to appease the fans who are thirsty for style points. This is the offense. Establish the run and take what the defense gives you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As others have stated, GT had the ball the entire game. I was at the game, and periodically their scoreboard shows time of possession. At one point it was 17 minutes to 3. Richt wasn't going to air it out and risk going putting the defense back on the field 30 seconds later. You saw what happened when we needed to open it up? Tech scored to make it 28-21, and we went down the field in like 4 plays to score and make it 35-21. Now, with that said, I would have liked a little more, but to be honest, Brad did not look his best yesterday, even on the occasions when Richt called passes, so I'm not putting this all on Richt.

As others have said, we will see next week (and against UNC).

I mean, 7.7 yards a play on offense. 12.7 yards per pass attempt. On the road, against a conference team.

I would argue that our biggest issue was getting off the field, as they had 73 plays on offense. Having two defensive TD's contributed to that, for sure, but I'm not at all surprised to see their offense have success coming off that Clemson performance and making adjustments. Paul Johnson is incredible at coaching that scheme and we struggled at times.

We had 7 drives of 4 PLAYS OR LESS. Let's not make it seem like we set the world on fire. We scored 21 offensive points. It was a **** poor offensively executed game. Let's not sugar coat it.

That and the defense didn't get off the field when they were supposed to either though. Regardless we won. Clemson was struggling on offense against them too.

As others have stated, GT had the ball the entire game. I was at the game, and periodically their scoreboard shows time of possession. At one point it was 17 minutes to 3. Richt wasn't going to air it out and risk going putting the defense back on the field 30 seconds later. You saw what happened when we needed to open it up? Tech scored to make it 28-21, and we went down the field in like 4 plays to score and make it 35-21. Now, with that said, I would have liked a little more, but to be honest, Brad did not look his best yesterday, even on the occasions when Richt called passes, so I'm not putting this all on Richt.

I don't understand why everyone is blaming kaaya? Had Herndon and coley would have caught the two dropped passes he would have a competition percentage would have been at 79 percent on the day. His other incompletions stemmed from when he was hit as he was throwing(Walton dump off pass 2x, and to the tight end in the 4th qtr). He missed one pass with Richards early in the game but that was it. Truth of the matter is yeah the defense scored but we didn't handle the option that well which probably should have been expected considering the amount of inexperience our players outside of the secondary had playing against it... A win is a win and we didn't trail in this game

I don't understand why everyone is blaming kaaya? Had Herndon and coley would have caught the two dropped passes he would have a competition percentage would have been at 79 percent on the day. His other incompletions stemmed from when he was hit as he was throwing(Walton dump off pass 2x, and to the tight end in the 4th qtr). He missed one pass with Richards early in the game but that was it. Truth of the matter is yeah the defense scored but we didn't handle the option that well which probably should have been expected considering the amount of inexperience our players outside of the secondary had playing against it... A win is a win and we didn't trail in this game

I'm not blaming him, I just said it wasn't his best game. There were a couple of occasions where I thought he held it too long, and had bad footwork. Again, I was at the game. I'm going to watch it again this morning on TV.

Advertisement

I'm not blaming him, I just said it wasn't his best game. There were a couple of occasions where I thought he held it too long, and had bad footwork. Again, I was at the game. I'm going to watch it again this morning on TV.

Yeah I know the exact 2 plays you are talking about. On one of the dump off plays of the offense to Walton he held it to long and could have completed it and on the rollout to the tight end he could have complteted it if he had threw it earlier. The offensive line blocked good at some points and bad at others. Particularly on the outside which affected a few throws. The inside has been solid all year

you were playing a team that essentially was doing the equivalent of a 4 corners in basketball today running every play with 5 on the clock, no way the offense was going to get in rhythm today, did what we needed against a shythead coach who plays like if he's coaching at a division 3 school

I feel Richt was doing for a reason. He knows our capabilities and he just wanted to get out of there with a win. I believe the playbook will open up immensely with fsu this Saturday and we will know what playing level we're in after the game. Just watch and see!!

I believe in this STAFF, it's been a LONG TIME COMING! Go Canes

At the end of the day, Richt doesn't care about stats, he cares about W's and to that end he got the W by managing the game effectively. Credit to him for that.

With that said, I (and I think many others) would have preferred to be a bit more aggressive. Between Kayaa and the speed we have at WR (Coley, Richards) I don't think GT could handle our deep passing attack but we never went deep once. Also, Richt stuck to the run in the 2nd half for many reasons already mentioned (run clock, give D a break, keep D honest) which makes sense. With that said, i thought he should have mixed it up a lot more - rb screens, wr screens, short TE routes, slants (which the few times we did them were effective - see pass to Herndon for example). Many of which are just as effective as runs but could have keep some drives going longer in my opinion.

Either way we got the W. And we will see over the next two weeks the full extent of Richt's offense so all our Q's will be answered soon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We didn't have the ball long enough to get extravagant..
Richt seems set on establishing the run or he ran into a stacked box to kill time so the defense could catch a break.
10-15 minutes more with the ball and I think we would have seen more.
Plus the D put up 14 points kind of quick which may have changed things.. but a win vs GT is always 👍 nice.
That gimmick offense gives everyone problems

At the end of the day, Richt doesn't care about stats, he cares about W's and to that end he got the W by managing the game effectively. Credit to him for that.

With that said, I (and I think many others) would have preferred to be a bit more aggressive. Between Kayaa and the speed we have at WR (Coley, Richards) I don't think GT could handle our deep passing attack but we never went deep once. Also, Richt stuck to the run in the 2nd half for many reasons already mentioned (run clock, give D a break, keep D honest) which makes sense. With that said, i thought he should have mixed it up a lot more - rb screens, wr screens, short TE routes, slants (which the few times we did them were effective - see pass to Herndon for example). Many of which are just as effective as runs but could have keep some drives going longer in my opinion.

Either way we got the W. And we will see over the next two weeks the full extent of Richt's offense so all our Q's will be answered soon.

It's not rocket science. Even clemsons receiving core who has as good of a group probably better than Miami does did not get down the field against them either

Georgia Tech is a unique challenge and I think CMR called a good enough game for us to win. We can really evaluate his play-calling after FSWHo -- there won't be any excuses or ideas that he's hiding anything on Saturday. It's all in for this one.... and I have faith in the man

I mean, 7.7 yards a play on offense. 12.7 yards per pass attempt. On the road, against a conference team.

I would argue that our biggest issue was getting off the field, as they had 73 plays on offense. Having two defensive TD's contributed to that, for sure, but I'm not at all surprised to see their offense have success coming off that Clemson performance and making adjustments. Paul Johnson is incredible at coaching that scheme and we struggled at times.

We had 7 drives of 4 PLAYS OR LESS. Let's not make it seem like we set the world on fire. We scored 21 offensive points. It was a **** poor offensively executed game. Let's not sugar coat it.

38 points on 15 drives vs. FAU = 2.53 points per drive

45 points on 13 drives vs. App St = 3.46 points per drive

21 points on 8 drives vs. G Tech = 2.63 points per drive

On the road. Against a conference team. I've shown you yards per play (high correlation to winning), points per drive (high correlation to winning) and a comparison to how we fared against non-power 5 teams.

If you want to use an arbitrary number of plays per drive to show how we struggled offensively, that is certainly your right.

Advertisement

It's not rocket science. Even clemsons receiving core who has as good of a group probably better than Miami does did not get down the field against them either

Core corps corpse ***** fvck it right?

Yeah I know the exact 2 plays you are talking about. On one of the dump off plays of the offense to Walton he held it to long and could have completed it and on the rollout to the tight end he could have complteted it if he had threw it earlier. The offensive line blocked good at some points and bad at others. Particularly on the outside which affected a few throws. The inside has been solid all year

If the miss to Walton is the one I'm thinking of, by the time Walton released his block and turned, Kayaa was already ****ed. looked to me like a case of the O line letting the pressure through too quickly for the play to develop.

Stop all the got damm whining we are 4-0 heading to slaughter the semihoes support cmr instead of berating his play calling would you rather folden and Foley calling plays?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back