Good Dan Mullen Article

D

deleted1998

I know some people have thrown his name around so I thought I would post this Grantland article on him...it's a pretty good read.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/dan-mullen-mississippi-state-into-big-time/

So seriously this time, coach, how did you find the players to compete at Mississippi State? Like, for real?

Mullen has answered the question this week the same way he has for the past five years — the same way every coach has always answered it — with sincere platitudes about hard work, chips on shoulders, and a personal drive to be the best.

“We look for guys with work ethic, guys that have a desire to work and want to be great,” he said, offering about as much enlightenment as a politician reciting a stump speech about job growth. “Those are the guys that are going to continue to grow.”

He offered Prescott a scholarship before any of his SEC peers, Mullen said, because he thought Prescott was “a winner” and had “the ‘It Factor,’” that certain je ne sais quoi that cannot be defined and has therefore been applied to virtually every quarterback who has done anything positive at any point in the past decade. Still, when he arrives at another canned line, “My goal is to make everybody a five-star walking out the door, regardless of what they were coming in,” the pitch is utterly convincing. On that point, the results speak for themselves.

Advertisement
Mullen was my top choice (of realistic candidates) when Shannon was fired but people were freaking out because he doesn't run a dinosaur "pro style" offense. I say dinosaur because almost all teams (including NFL) run some variation of a spread offense now.

Advertisement
Mullen was my top choice (of realistic candidates) when Shannon was fired but people were freaking out because he doesn't run a dinosaur "pro style" offense. I say dinosaur because almost all teams (including NFL) run some variation of a spread offense now.

Nobody in the NFL remotely runs his version of the spread.

Mullen just said, on Gameday:

You don't start winning and then the fans will come...you have to have a great game day atmosphere and then the wins will follow.

Mullen just said, on Gameday:

You don't start winning and then the fans will come...you have to have a great game day atmosphere and then the wins will follow.

Saw that. Nothing like fan support to light fires under a program.....oh, wait...

Advertisement
Back