Good Article on Tracy Rocker

Advertisement
We need this dude to coach our defensive line. Spread offenses are here to stay, and we can't have 330 pound nose tackles running around trying to keep up with these uptempo offenses.

It seemed like golden's philosophy put more emphasis on plugging gaps than getting off blocks. We need guys getting off blocks, disrupting option reads, and penetrating these zone blocking schemes. You can't do that with these fat defensive lineman.

We need this dude to coach our defensive line. Spread offenses are here to stay, and we can't have 330 pound nose tackles running around trying to keep up with these uptempo offenses.

It seemed like golden's philosophy put more emphasis on plugging gaps than getting off blocks. We need guys getting off blocks, disrupting option reads, and penetrating these zone blocking schemes. You can't do that with these fat defensive lineman.

There has to be a balance. Alabama has some big *** agile bodies up front...and they seem to be able to handle spread and traditional power running offenses rather well.

While they don't make too many like Wilfork anymore...we have suffered more from pathetic recruiting at that position than anything else, not to mention weak scheme and development.

Bringing in a guy like Rocker with Richt should automatically have us in the discussion with some of these beasts. There is a reason why the $EC prizes these guys so much and does whatever it take$ to get their signatures.

UM

Bama struggles with Spread teams a lot more than they do a traditional I-formation set. That's why I don't believe Mich State and chance against them.

Advertisement

There has to be a balance. Alabama has some big *** agile bodies up front...and they seem to be able to handle spread and traditional power running offenses rather well.

While they don't make too many like Wilfork anymore...we have suffered more from pathetic recruiting at that position than anything else, not to mention weak scheme and development.

Bringing in a guy like Rocker with Richt should automatically have us in the discussion with some of these beasts. There is a reason why the $EC prizes these guys so much and does whatever it take$ to get their signatures.

UM

Bama gets worked by true spread teams though. They often struggle with aTm and Auburn, and OSU ran a train on them last year.

Not to mention, everyone and their brother runs their system now, which means:

1) its easier to prepare for
2) you have to fight them for the very specific recruits needed to make it work

Strong and fast, that's what you need. If a dude is 275 and able to shed and/or go around a 315lb lineman, then he can do his job.

The faster you get upfield as a DL, the less time the opposing qb has to make decisions. If you can take away even one choice, everything gets simpler for the defense.

Big, lumbering hold the line types are just about the worst DL you could put out against a speed option team. Even if you control some of the gaps, you can't recover fast enough to stop anything.

Been saying this a while, and I said it last week when Richt was hired - the first thing we need to do in the new S & C program is have the players drop weight. We are far too slow for a Canes team, because we are too big on the defensive side of the ball, in particular

Our guys on defense have been waaaaay to big under golden, and we are slow as ****. Chad Thomas is about 280lbs right now, but I think he'd be a force at 260lbs

Norton, Moten, Jenkins, etc are all around 330, but need to be playing at 305lbs

I'd like t see Owens and Young trim down to 225 to 230

Rocker is the second best thing that could happen to the Canes coaching staff...Hope Richt can pull him south but I'm afraid he's comfortable above the Georgia Florida State Line..

Advertisement
Been saying this a while, and I said it last week when Richt was hired - the first thing we need to do in the new S & C program is have the players drop weight. We are far too slow for a Canes team, because we are too big on the defensive side of the ball, in particular

Our guys on defense have been waaaaay to big under golden, and we are slow as ****. Chad Thomas is about 280lbs right now, but I think he'd be a force at 260lbs

Norton, Moten, Jenkins, etc are all around 330, but need to be playing at 305lbs

I'd like t see Owens and Young trim down to 225 to 230

No way Moten is 330 I agree Jenkins and Norton especially need to lose some baby fat.

I think Chad is good at about 270 remember he is 6'5 with that frame he can handle that size.

All this sounds like one thing: Old school Miami Hurricane defense. Aggressive speedy disruptive DTs in your backfield was bad news for offenses those days and still in today. If Mark gets a DC who plays our old defense and finds the DTs we need, it is a new ball game.

All this sounds like one thing: Old school Miami Hurricane defense. Aggressive speedy disruptive DTs in your backfield was bad news for offenses those days and still in today. If Mark gets a DC who plays our old defense and finds the DTs we need, it is a new ball game.

No doubt. We used to have DT's and DE's who could run backs down from behind. We gotta go find those guys and turn em loose.

[MENTION=2611]TheU[/MENTION]gadawg: According to some media outlets in Miami, UGA DL Coach Tracy Rocker could be headed to Coral Gables to join Mark Richt.

Advertisement
In order to adapt to a game that has become more up-tempo, the Bulldogs are emphasizing getting lighter at all defensive positions. Pruitt thinks his defense as a whole is “too big” and needs to cut down. That’s a departure from the previous defensive staff, which liked big nose tackles — and even bigger defensive backs — in order to play a physical brand of defense.

Read more here: Dropping weight: Georgia's change in defensive philosophy | The Telegraph

MusicToMyEarslogo-2.jpg

No doubt. We used to have DT's and DE's who could run backs down from behind. We gotta go find those guys and turn em loose.

That's what I remember. Linemen running like 4.7s, OLBs 4.4 with slow ones at 4.5. And only FSU ever catching a WR or RB from behind even with an angle. Might just be bloated memories. Seemed like only our QBs were slow.

Advertisement

That's what I remember. Linemen running like 4.7s, OLBs 4.4 with slow ones at 4.5. And only FSU ever catching a WR or RB from behind even with an angle. Might just be bloated memories. Seemed like only our QBs were slow.

Nah, we were fast for sure. DL used to just eat up QB's and RB's when they tried to bounce outside, with the lb's just piling on to make sure. Any kind of sweep or end around was a 5yd loss almost automatic.

Other than the Sugar Bowl I don't remember any wr's getting run down either. That was like Lamar gettin his chain snatched. smdh.

I posted on the Recruiting Board, but I'll say it here as well. I'm an Auburn alum and I played basketball for Sonny Smith. Tracy Rocker and his brother David was on the football team. We share a mutual friend name Tracy Porter and he told me that Tracy was coming to Miami with Richt. The surprise was that he also said that Ttacy would be more than a D-Line coach. I can't say for certain what position he's going to hold, but I believe KP when he says that Tracy was following Richt to Miami. My friend KP played DB at Auburn and is now coaching in west Georgia.

Advertisement
Back