Golden staying at UM

Dunno if it's for leverage, but the guy has seriously left himself a ton of outs. For all his "clearly" and "obviously" language on other topics, he's less than emphatic about the clarity of his future.

That's exactly what he should do in his position. Fewer outs is rarely a good thing in business.

I'm sure he's had this discussion with his agent about what to say when these questions come. He answers it the same way everytime. He loves it here, his family loves it, putting together a great recruiting class etc. This is the first time someone came out and directly asked him if he was going to coach here next year. Him saying "I believe" I'm going to be the coach makes me nervous

Advertisement
It's becoming clear that his words are chosen very carefully to leave himself an out, or to gain leverage in negotiating a new deal with UM. No other way to reasonably look at it.

Yep. The grand question is which one.

It's becoming clear that his words are chosen very carefully to leave himself an out, or to gain leverage in negotiating a new deal with UM. No other way to reasonably look at it.

Yep. The grand question is which one.

My guess is an out. He already has leverage in that these rumors are out there; his agent can relay Al's intention to the administration behind closed doors instead of doing it out in the open where it would hurt him with recruiting. I get the feeling that he truly is unsure and doesn't want to lie which I think is dumb. Just pull a Saban and say you are staying and then just say you changed your mind if you do leave. It's easier to reassure the recruits that way if you do stay and if you leave, most fans are probably going to be ****ed at you anyway.

why are reporters such twerps?
You know Al, at Penn State, we don't have to deal with annoying questions from annoying people like reporters. What we do at Penn State is, we don't listen to people we don't want to hear from. Sometimes we fire them, or bar them from talking to us.

Advertisement
where is he gonna go? surely not Penn st. at this point. they may not even play football next year...I suppose there could be another school like UCLA was it that is on him. barring major sanctions it doesn't make sense for him to leave Miami right now. he is probably being vague to see what comes down from the NCAA. if they hammer us, he may have to leave.

I am optimistic that the penalties will not be crippling and AG and co. can build their program here.

Came across this and thought it was a good read: http://www.seventhfloorblog.com/2011/11/22/2581186/miami-hurricanes-al-golden-penn-state

FWIW I think Golden passes on the PSU job. The stink that is going to surround that place for a while now is going to be massive, and I think he's smart enough to know that he's not going to win there for a while. It would take a massive hire a la *** for PSU not to have a football dropoff after this debacle, and someone that good probably won't want to touch PSU at this point. UM is a program that should improve, and PSU is a program bound to have a dropoff after this scandal, so why leave?

I think he is just trying to get more money from us, which I have no problem with.

Advertisement
Back